RF-15 with Harman Kardon AVR 130?

Jennifer1

Hi

I need help. I've got the RF-15 and I am planning to purchase the AVR 130 to drive these speakers. Would it be enough?...I'm a little loss, but I've heard that the low power rating doesn't mean it can't drive my speaker since this receiver is high quality..and numbers don't tell the whole story.. What is the connection between the power rating of a receiver and the speakers...do they have to be similar...?

This receiver is rated at 45 watts per channel(55 watts stereo), and the speakers are 100 watts of power handling.

thanks guys!

It's more of a question of speaker efficiency, and given Klipsch horns, there should be no difficulty driving them with this amount of power. Just because a speaker has a "power rating", it does not mean that is what it takes to drive it. Hope that helps.

Popbumper 9.gif

don't pay any attention to the numbers. they are pretty much meaning less. that 100 watts is what the speaker can handle continuously. but music or movie are not contiuous are they. and that 55(45) watts your reciever can produce is contiuous power also, but the same thing again. you reciever can produce much more then 55(45) watts in spikes along with your speakers can handle more then 100 watts in the same spike. but their is also this to consider. sound is measured in decibles(db). You have to double your power to go up 3 db (hardly noticably by the average human ear). their is this thing called a sensitivity rating your speaker is at 96db at 1 watt of power at 1 meter away from the speaker. it drops considerably as you move away from the speaker though, but still anything over 80db for a decent amount of time will cause hearing damage. hear is a little chart for you to kind of see how loud your speakers will get. this where that 3 db thing comes into play

96db=1w

99db=2w

102db=4w

105db=8w

108db=16w

111db=32w

114db=64w

so you can see that at 1 meter away from your speaker you speaker will do somewhere around 113 decibels. but that leaves no head room (extra power in reserve) for you amp. but that is plenty loud even if you triple that distance it will still be plenty loud (the db level reduces over distance). remember anything over 80 for a decent amount of time will cause hearing damage (hear at work anything over 82db requires hearing protection). Your reciever has plenty of power to run those speakers up to decent volumes and have power in reserve. plus the fact that in all the test i have even seen done on HK their amps are always under rated. one last thing running you amp at full power with no head room is what will damage your speaker, because when you get to an amps max it starts clipping and putting out distortion and this is what causes damage to your speaker when the reciever wattage rating is under speakers power handling capabilities. but for most poeple they would not reach that point even on your reciever unless you really like to crank it, which those speakers are not the best for that to begin with. they are more for quality at moderate volumes.

Im using the HK 130 for my video (HT) system. I havent replaced the existing speakers with Klipsch yet. The HK 130 is driving some rather inefficient KEF 303 (mains) and Infinity RS1000 (center and rears). I use a small Aura powered sub. For my purposes this works fine other than the sound quality of the speakers.

I originally bought the HK125 (store demo/display) and it blew out in 30 days. The replacement also did the same thing. HK replaced it with the AVR130 at no charge. These units tend to run hot. I gave the AVR130 a little more room to dissipate heat and have had no problems yet (6 months).

A lot of this depends on how loud you expect to play the system, what kinds of music/HT duty it will be used for, as well as the size of your space. As long as youre not expecting loud pounding bass and ear splitting rock concert levels you should be fine.

Welcome to the Forum!