T-35 or K-77 Alnico Tweeter's Big Brother

BEC

I have just rebuilt a pair of the EV T-350 alnico tweeters. First time I have had my hands on a pair of these and first time I have heard them. They are quite impressive at over 6 pounds each compared to a K-77 at around 2 pounds. Just by ear I would guess these are around 3 or so db more efficient than the K-77 and sound very clear and nice. Uses the same diaphragm as the smaller EV (Klipsch) tweeters. The picture shows the size comparison.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819257593882_thumb.jpg

Gil,

Thanks for posting the specs on the T-350. I thought that I was hearing more and better sound out of them than any other EV tweeter that I had heard and the specs would seem to confirm that. Too bad they are so rare. The customer sent them to be rebuilt by overnight Fedex insured for $500.00 and had me ship them back the same way. Wish I had been able to keep them a bit longer for some additional testing and listening.

Bob Crites

Bob,

I guess you didn't bother to run a response curve on one of those 350s did you? I find it very hard to believe that just increasing the magnet size and keeping the same diaphragm could take the response up beyond 20KHz! The T-35 bearly makes it to 15 Khz! I am very skeptical of manufacturers specifrications anyhow and that one seems a bit exagerated at least!

Al K.

Al,

The guy that owned them wanted them back quickly. He sent them to me overnight and I repaired them then sent them back the same way. I only had a chance to listen to them awhile on top of one of my Lascalas. I thought they were the clearest (and loudest) pair of tweeters I had ever heard. I wish I had been able to play with them some more and try a frequency response test on them. Of course my best mic only goes to 20 Khz. I do want to own a pair of the T-350s now.

A reason for perhaps believing the spec that Gil posted is that EV also claims a frequency response of 3.5 to 16 Khz plus or minus 5 db on the T-35. Since that one is about right, perhaps we can also believe the spec for the T-350

Bob

Bob,

Interesting! I'm sure that the extra 3 dB would give you the impression of more highs, but since most of us mortals can't hear much beyond 15 Khz it's going to take instruments to really tell. If the 350 truly goes up that high it would be something to take note of since I don't think there is any other differences between the T35 and the T350 other than the magnet size.

Al K

Good to hear from you Mike.

I really should set up a website to make stuff available to all folks out there. It is not just scans of my documents. Posts by others get lost in the ancient history of the website.

Unfortunately, it would take some time. I might try to do something primitive at Christmas.

Gil

Al,

Hearing these T-350s has once again peaked my interest in building the better tweeter. I believe that it is more than simply going to a massive magnet but what more has been elusive to me. This picture shows my effort to do that with a 1 pound ceramic magnet. This one I built is better than a T-35, but just marginally better. EV's effort on the T-350 is clearly superior to the T-35 at first listen. I had thought, like some others here, that the phenolic diaphragm was the main limiting factor. I think now that the structure of the magnet is the place to concentrate and that the phenolic diaphragm is not the weak point in performance.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819257603252_thumb.jpg

"Interesting! I'm sure that the extra 3 dB would give you the impression of more highs, but since most of us mortals can't hear much beyond 15 Khz it's going to take instruments to really tell. If the 350 truly goes up that high it would be something to take note of since I don't think there is any other differences between the T35 and the T350 other than the magnet size."

The T35B is 54dB EIA, the T350 is 60dB EIA

Gauss is 9000 vs 20,000

EIA is 1mW at 30ft, so add 49.216dB for 1W/1M

The horn is 5-1/4" X 2" vs 7-1/2" X 2-7/8"

HF is horsepower to weight, the ability to start and stop the diaphragm several thousand times per second. They use the same diaphragm, but the T350 has over twice the magnetic strength (that is also why it is 6dB more efficent).

Rick,

I have some of those. Believe me, they are nothing like the T-350s we are talking about here. I have played with the T-350 that has the round ceramic magnet inside a metal round cover and the T-350 with the square magnets that are exposed. Both of those test very close to a T-35. The alnico T-350 that I started this thread about is just in a whole different class.

Bob