Article re Tractrix Horn

WMcD

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i guess i better throw away all those good measuring, good sounding bass horns i did in the tractrix form.......

dr edgar told me that too. he also told me that you couldn't change the equation to get different coverage patterns.......red flag syndrome.....

At work just the other day we were discussing the fact that our measured data didn't agree very well with our simulated data. Somebody recommended taking more measurements. I recommended developing better simulations.

Greg

i like the way you think. even paul had a "modified" exponential equation for his horns. he once told me "equations are nice but dirty curves are better."

in Christ, because of God's grace,

roy

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so if one wanted to build a Tractrix horn to use with a K Horn bass bin and a JBL 2470 driver, what should one do? I will be using JBL 2404 tweeters.

I have the spreadsheet off of the Volvotreeter website, but need to know if the equation needs to be modified.

Next question, what height to width ratio is preferred? I do not need to fit the horns into anything so I can use whatever specs work best.

Here is the 2470 with an aluminum diaphragm on a horn intended for a 500hz crossover. The HF above 10Khz suffers because of the 2327 1:2 adaptor and then the 2328 2:1.375 adaptor to mate with the 2350 horn (the expansion from 1" to about the size of a tennis ball and back down to 1.375" causes a lot of phase cancellations).

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2421ab.pdf

• 2 years later...

Thank you gentlemen: what a wonerful group of audio friends you are as well as being a supreb support system for Klipsch owners and interested fans.

so I am a bit confused. Lets say for the moment that I am more inclined to go with a smaller main and augment with stereo subs. Now it has been commented on that the heritage line will out perform the new RB series of two ways. I has also been said the tractrix mid horn is superior to the older exponential horns of the early Heresy. So aside from the slightly lower efficiency of the RB series they do have a tractrix mid/high frequency horn. So why then is the older squakers and tweeter horns better? I confused which is better in you (collective opinions).

I visited my local Klipsch dealer today and found a new (demp) set if RB61's with full warranty for only $390.00 the pair which seems like a very good deal. A pair of RB81's for $612.00 the pair. Yes they both need subs and so do Heresy's or even Forte's if you want deep bass. Does the real difference lie in the comp driver? Both the 61 and the 81 were smooth and well extended with good image and stage even sitting on a shelf. Aside from the efficienct difference (stated as abut 2db) between the new designs and the classics are the older three ways with their more complex crossovers really better and if so in what way or rather what accounts for the superiority of one over the other. I must admit that the price and size are right of the RB61's so I am tempted rather than to buy old at as high or higher price and still face diaphragm upgrades etc.. I am open to compelling comments either way.Thanks for such great assistance. Regards Moray James.

• 1 year later...