Hootin' and Tootin' : Fred Jackson blows one MEAN tenort!

Allan Songer

B000024GPO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Just listened to this one three times in the last two days. What a SMOKIN' record from a completely forgotton tenor man! As a bonus you get to hear the original "Chunk of Funk" Earl Van Dyke in a straight-ahead soul jazz B3 romp. Van Dyke went on to Motown and became the leader of the group who became known as "the Funk Bros." who played on about 100 top ten hits for Motown.

I first heard Fred Jackson on the great Baby Face Willette LP "Face to Face" and went about trackin down all of his recordings. He played on a few Little Richard and Lloyd Price R&B hits in the 1950's and then appeard on the Willette LP and a couple others from another B3 great Big John Patton and made just this one record as a leader. Jackson also recorded with BB King at about this same time.

On the CD that was released a couple of years ago there are a few "bonus cuts" which are actually the tracks from a second album Jackson recorded for Blue Note as a leader that was never released.

Anyway, this LP just DRIPS with soul and has to be played LOUD! Van Dyke's bass lines on the B3 are phenominal and he digs in HARD. Willie Jones's guitar work is dripping in the blues--very impressive and you have to wonder what happened to him as well. And the drummer, Wilbert Hogan grooves right along--never seen his name ANYWHERE else, but he does a great job here.

I'm pretty sure this one is still around on CD--I have a copy that I picked up a couple of years ago. The original LP was a really slow seller and is VERY expensive, but I have noticed that there is a recent pressing that shows up on ebay cheap at least once a month. I have no idea how is sounds, but the music is so good even if the pressing is lousy you'll be VERY glad to have made the purchase!

Thanks for that excellent review. I've never heard of Fred Jackson, which doesn't mean a thing, but I'm going to hunt this album down. Most of my favourite cd's and albums I have bought from recommendations from friends. After I buy them I wonder why they are not promoted more robustly by the record companies. There's a wealth of great music out there and I've barely scratched the surface...6.gif

If you want a flavour of the album, well CD with a few bonus tracks, here is a website:

http://www.artistdirect.com/store/artist/album/0,,107747,00.html

The reissue LP is dirt cheap, the CD is expensive. It is an import and seems to run in the $28-46 range. If you play vinyl, then you have a deal. Oh well. At least you can get a flavour of what Allan is so excited about. 9.gif

Sorry about the goose chase! When I linked that sight there were 5 LPs avaialable. And I really thought that "Hootin' 'N Tootin'" was still available on CD--from now on I'll check on Amazon first! I just can't BELIEVE these great records go in and out of print so damn fast! Well, I checked and THIS one is still in print!

B00004SQ2G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This one features both Jackson and Harold Vick, another great soul-jazz tenor and has Grant Green on guitar and Ben Dixon (the greatest of all soul-jazz drummers). Patton, Green and Dixon were ROCK-SOLID--maybe the tighest trio in all of the genre. This was Big John Patton's debut as a leader and it SMOKES!

Allan, if your take in music was lousy, then nobody would be checking out to see if the album or cd was available. Since that is not the case, demand exceeded supply. Keep posting recommendations and we will keep looking to see if they are available.

Allan,

Went to see Rebecca Parris at the Bakery last weekend. Wow! She was fantastic! Not to mention she had Tom Warrington and Joe La Barbera behind her (didn't catch Tom the piano players last name). Great show! Have you tried the new Asian (Beacon) restaurant across the street from the Bakery? Supposed to be great. We're going back to it this weekend.

Chris

Let us know how it sounds. For $8.99 I imagine you're getting something mastered off of a CD. But you never know. Also, let us know if it's Stereo or Mono. The catalog number on the front of the LP is a mono number. If this one sounds good, these reissues are a real bargain.

You have enough original RVG masters to know how a Blue Note SHOULD sound, so I'm sure your evaluation will be dead-on! Thanks, Gary!

Allan