$$$ anyone have GEC Kt-88 or kt-66 for sale

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey folk, please help me in my journey, Craig is working on the VRD'S and I would like to buy some tubes NOT off ebay, I have been learning an expensive lesson on tubes by spending big $$$$$ from some unsavory sellers. I really want to outfit with all NOS tubes. I have a pair of 5AR4 metal base(phillips), Tungsol black glass 12au7(phase splitter), Amperex bugle boy's 1950's long plate d getter.

Now I need the best NOS or close to it KT88's, and KT66's.

If anybody here needs some $$$$$, and won'y kill me on price, I would be really grateful3.gif9.gif

I could smile, for a while.

Thanks in advance

help to to keep smilin12.gif

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may want to give Kevin Deal a call over at Upscale Audio. He's not cheap, but he has or can get just about any tube you want NOS or used. His number is (909) 931-9686. Have you actually auditioned any of the tubes you bought in VRD's?

Gonna be going for some NOS Genalex Gold Lion KT-88's huh?2.gif Get ready to spend some big bucks. 9.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions, I will make some calls....I want em all....I am nutz11.gif have me commited15.gif obsession is taking over6.gif desire the best sound1.gif looking for perfection6.gif oohhh why me12.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 8/26/2004 10:43:56 AM DeanG wrote:

Like sending good wine through a landfill before drinking it. A waste of money.
8.gif

----------------

Deano, I do not agree, to see, and hear, the 300B's WE still haunt me(cardinal x1)....of course I want more spl too, maybe I can have my cake, maybe not. As long as I do not overpay for the tube journey, it's worth it to me9.gif

It seems odd to me that you are looking for KT-88 or KT-66 or KT-77. The KT-66 is a 6L6 and the KT-77 is an EL34. These tubes are sure to sound different so I don't it. If you like the sound of an EL34, then why not try a quad of KT-77. But if you prefer the sound of a 6L6 you should hold out for the KT-66 or the 350B. And the KT-88 is another beast altogether--I have NEVER heard an amp that uses either KT-88 or 6550 that I could live with. . .

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 8/26/2004 2:19:06 PM Piranha wrote:

Steve,

If I were you I'd listen to them with the Craig tubes "as is" before you start buying high dollar tubes. I don't know if cost equals value. The tubes Craig would send out in them are good bang for your buck.

----------------

Piranahman, I just gotta have fancy schmancy esoteric high fallotin rootin tootin tubes2.gif gotta spend more on tubes than the actual amps, why? cause I am addicted with this obsession and there ya go10.gif

BTW my VRD's sound better than YOURS11.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 8/26/2004 9:12:15 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Figure on $1000 for a quad of KT-88 NOS and maybe $600 for KT-66.

I would JUMP on a quad of Ben's 350B.

----------------

Allan, thanks for the reco, your ears I trust, I already talked to Ben, and he is shipping them to Craig for me on your reco2.gif Have you listened to the Kt88's too?

If so, was is your ears take on the sound?12.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 8/26/2004 11:09:57 AM Allan Songer wrote:

It seems odd to me that you are looking for KT-88 or KT-66 or KT-77. The KT-66 is a 6L6 and the KT-77 is an EL34. These tubes are sure to sound different so I don't it. If you like the sound of an EL34, then why not try a quad of KT-77. But if you prefer the sound of a 6L6 you should hold out for the KT-66 or the 350B. And the KT-88 is another beast altogether--I have NEVER heard an amp that uses either KT-88 or 6550 that I could live with. . .

----------------

Allan

The question is, can one amp, utilizing different tubes, give me all the different sounds I desire with various music/moods....Right now, my favorite is the Western Electric 300B on the Cardinal X1's that I mistakenly have already sold. Oh well, my journey continues.

I dunno if I can live with just 1 amp/source/ect.12.gif

----------------

On 8/26/2004 11:09:57 AM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

Allan,

You have never heard my amps I think you would quickly change your mind on this statement.

Craig