Too many subs

TheEAR

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask and it will be answered 3.gif

To start with my main PC system I use the ProMedia 5.1Ultra speakers from the SWS link I feed the signal to a Reel SW810 and 1215.

My Klipsch HT system(quad RF7's,RC7 and RF5's as side sourrounds)uses three Klipsch RSW(10,12 and 15),two carver KS subs,and three Sunfire units(S Jr.,Mark II and Sig.) plus two PolkAudio units(PSW404 and 505).yes all working as ONE. No lack of bass in LOTR that is a sure thing...all in a 10'*14' room! SHAKING EXPERIENCE

The main system gets a helping hand from the Velo HGS18,Revel B15,Aerial SW12 and the newest addition the moderate Paradigm Servo Sig. BIG DEEP BASS to drown a human...even an Elf

And last my second PC uses the Creative GigaWorks S750 with a Velo SPL1000(in the main room with the big system),the third PC the MegaWorks 510D with a Paradigm PW2200(first revision,I got second hand cheap 3.gif ).Plus I have nearly a dozen PC speaker sets,just in case some would fail.

I wanted to add more subs,maybe a few SVS...and the paradigm Seismic 10 and 12.Who knows how many more I will buy

heh audio is alot of fun

No its not the Paradigm Servo 15,its the Servo Signature.I had the Servo 15 a few years back,sold now I have the X30 crossover from it doing...split/gain duty for my subs in the Klipsch system.

There will be an improved Servo 15 from Paradigm soon,same 1200W RMS amp as used in the Seismic and Servo Sig.!And improved woofer

I would think that 10 subs in a 1,100 cu/ft room would lead to some serious cancellation.(?)

------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, I d think there would be a lot of cancelation. but if you tune each one in, one at a time, there should be no problem.

Id also like to see a pic of this 2.gif3.gif

seeing IS believing 4.gif1.gif

----------------

On 8/31/2004 9:22:02 AM Scp53 wrote:

I would think that 10 subs in a 1,100 cu/ft room would lead to some serious cancellation.(?)

------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, I d think there would be a lot of cancelation. but if you tune each one in, one at a time, there should be no problem.

----------------

I'm curious why you say that if you tune them in one at a time there would be no problem. The subs won't start cancelling each other out until more than one is on. The only way to avoid cancellation w/ that many subs is to have several in a few select locations. Then measurements must be done while different combinations are playing to properly adjust the phase to reduce the cancellations.

John

Do I hear a hint of we do not trust that you have all these subs ear? LOL

I have seen a lot of pics in my mind off and on in the Klipsch BB of your system, so I can say you do have what you do say you do. So fear not, fellow BB members, TheEar does speak from experience!!

It's cool that you can vouch for theEar and I too believe him. Why would someone lie on here anyway, try to show off to people you don't really know? Seems unreasonable. Anyway, it would be cool to see all those subs in his HT room, so a pic would be nice. Maybe set a precedent for the rest of us. 1.gif

I'm curious why you say that if you tune them in one at a time there would be no problem. The subs won't start cancelling each other out until more than one is on. The only way to avoid cancellation w/ that many subs is to have several in a few select locations. Then measurements must be done while different combinations are playing to properly adjust the phase to reduce the cancellations.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I miss-stated that. I should have said with a couple of subs, not a army of them.

Cancellation,yes if you are a newbie and do not know what the PHASE on each sub serves.

Me a liar! I am not a politician thank you,mind you I could be one.And why would I claim to have all these subs?

You can have 100 subs in a room and all working as a team,only start ups do not know this.You disapoint me people.15.gif

----------------

On 8/31/2004 1:50:51 PM Scp53 wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------

I miss-stated that. I should have said with a couple of subs, not a army of them.

----------------

You show the peeps,and that is how I fine tuned them.Yes no doubt there is always some minor cancellation.Minor and so unimportant the bass waves can drown you.

"yes if you are a newbie and do not know what the PHASE on each sub serves. "

Only works if all the subs are located very closly together, which has other negatives relating to the perception of bass. Otherwise you are adjusting the relative phase between the subs to specific listening positions. If you move the listening position to another location you change the distance between the listener and the subs. That changes the phase between them as well.

If they aren't all located together how do you time align that many subwoofers (which ends up also effecting phase) to your main listening position?

Do all the subs have limiters on them? Since you have such a hodge podge of models (with varying output capabilities) if some of the subs get driven to distortion earlier then others that will be mucking up your resulting sound quality as distortion in the bass range is very audible. If each sub has a good limiter on it to keep each and every one from being driven to distort that might not be much of an issue though.

Shawn

"Have you ever run an RTA on your room?"

I was wondering the same thing... at at least 1/24 octave preceision.

Also be interesting to see a time domain measurement of the setup from ETF or something similiar to look at resonances.

Shawn