New K-horns...Help me get over the edge

rmaustin

Randall,

I also recommend you have these tight in the corners. You laid out some real money and you're just throwing a lot of it away if you don't have them well placed. Getting into the sweet spot for Klipschorns is overrated. I enjoy mine no matter where I am in the room, even if I'm on another floor, or outside1.gif

If you must toe them in, you should build some false corners.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'de be a little curious about your "new" horns also. I ordered new K-horns in May and didn't see them until late September. Now I know mine are new because I was able to follow their construction at the factory. Check your serial numbers and confirm them with Klipsch. Hopefully you just got faster service than did I. (It's not that old K-horns are bad, but you need the straight scoop on any purchase).6.gif

Even if you don't have two corners in your room for the khorns you can always make do... I wanted em so bad that I had another door installed in my livingroom just so I could block the original one with a khorn. Notice the new door on the right.9.gif Now THAT is dedication!

I got the KHORNS but bought used locally for less than 1/4 the price of new.

4188PA1501-med.JPG?3004

I paid $5600 out the door for my new ones. I've only had a handful of times since last Janurary where I doubted the purchase -- since I had them on the short wall of my room and the sweet spot was five feet in front of them. I then swung them around without the corners behind them, and even still -- they could take your breath away. Once I finally got around to building the "false" corners, and getting them postioned to suit my taste -- the thought of replacing them with something else hasn't even remotely crossed my mind.

I've been teasing myself with driver upgrades, and I've been sorting through the old threads nightly for the last week, absorbing all of the information. It's interesting and fascinating stuff. The only thing that really appeals to me is hacking down the K-400, using some JBL 2328 adapters, and installing some Community M-200s. It sounds like a lot of fun -- until I come home from work, do some good coffee, a couple of clove cigarettes, and settle in with some music.

I really think the K-77 tweeter, and Atlas/EV/K-400 get an undeserved bad rap. Whatever the lack of detail resulting from the combination -- the shear musicality of the presentation is so satisfying, so inviting -- I just don't find myself caring all that much about what's not there. I may end up playing with some different drivers and horns, but I'm not under any illusions -- I very much love my Klipschorns just the way they are.

I know the budget minded and those with tight funds work very hard to find the good deals on these, and I envy your patience and perseverence. However, as someone who is living with the new networks, I feel more strongly with each listening session that those who can afford it -- should be setting gear upgrades aside, and working towards either the AK-4 Upgrade Kit or some ESNs from Al.

Dean, I heard a pair of the real things brand new, and I have to agree that the top end sounded ok to me, too.

I particularily listened for oft-mentioned problems, but I really didn't hear anything bad...

So, MAYBE they get a bad rap, but one would have to listen to other permutations to see for sure.

It's REALLY hard to A/B Khorns and do it right!

DM2.gif

Thanks to all of you for your advice.Im going to seal them in each corner and listen a few days in my normal seating area.My thinking in toeing them out was to aim the Tweeter and squaker exactly toward my seating position about 13 feet back and also the best seat for Movies.Yes these are brand new,there was a hint of fresh saw dust in the bass bins as I looked behind the tailboard through the mesh screen.Also,they are the exact finish I ordered ( Medium oak).I took the crossover out of one,just to have a look,it said AK4 in small letters on part of the circuit board.Very complex looking,no transformers or coils like K-Horns of old.Large number of capaciters and a few resisters.I've built a few crossovers for some DIY speaker projects over the years,these are engineered above anything I could handle.One thing I need to add and I most likley would give these crossover's the credit is there is no hint of harshness in the mid and upper spectrum at any volumn.I cannot say that about Cornwalls I've owned and the Heresy's (1980)I still have and listen to.Don't get me wrong here,the Cornwall and Heresy's are both fantastic speakers within there own right and they are one of the main reasons I purchased these K-Horns.The point is the engineers at Klipsch have I think worked hard in crossover refinement in the K-Horn to give it a smoother presentation and yet still have the wonderful dynamics that horn speakers bring to the listening experience.It took 6 weeks from the time I ordered to take delivery.I keep my media room closed when Im not in there jamming or watching something and when I first open the door to walk in, THE SMELL OF THESE BEAST ARE SOMETHING TO EXPERIENCE.I hope the new smell last for months.I will experiment a little with the placement,I may just go ahead and build the false walls and be done with it.I'll keep all of you posted.I did keep the boxes,put them in my attic.I took plenty of pics as I unboxed and assembled these and when I get more time I will post them.Thanks again to all of you,I gain and learn from your input.I hope I can do the same in the future for other forum members also.

Some pictures would be really nice when you get a chance. I've been looking at the various finish options on the new Klipschorns, and medium Oak is probably now my preferred option.

I'm also interested in the difference the new crossover makes to the Klipschorn sound. I know Klipsch have worked very hard at getting it right. Any further feedback you have about the sound would be appreciated.

Regards, Edwin.

New Klipschorn smell. Now that is something I have not experienced; must be nice.

The farther back you get, the less important the sweet spot is. Since you're 13 feet away, I don't think you'll have any problem. Plus, people disagree on what is preferable anyway. Some like the speakers aimed a little in front of them, some a little to the back, some directly at them.

----------------

On 8/30/2004 10:25:31 PM rmaustin wrote:

Help me,all my fellow Klipsch Warriors.Im about that far from ordering a 2004 set of k-Horns from my local klipsch dealer.6,000 bigs ones plus sales tax.Of course they will have to be ordered and I was informed by my dealer that it would take at least four weeks to take delivery.I've got cornwalls and heresy,s at the moment which I truly love the sound and performance of each of those Heritage models.Really,to sum it up,Im not getting any younger at 42 and I have always wanted and planned on gettig a pair of K-Horns.I have never heard a pair of these in my life but, as I understand the praise from you on this forum and also in the audio field concerning the K-Horns and the fact I love the sound of My heresy's and cornwalls,I know I can't go wrong here.Please push me over the edge so I can most likely enter the real sound of music.A side note,the K-Horns will be amplified by a McIntosh MC-402 (400x2) not a tube amp and a Denon Pre/Pro.

----------------

I have never been able to afford them, but have ALWAYS wanted them since I heard a pair in Hope when I was 20 years old (53 now). I have NEVER forgotten that sound!