What should I use to power my Dad's Klipsch forte speakers?

wick650

So my dad's handing down his klipsch forte speakers to me, I've grown up with these speakers and, love them. I now need to buy an amp and pre-amp, but I am having a tough time selecting as I am fairley inexperienced with home audio tech.

What do you guys recomend for a college student on a bit of a budget? I am most likely going to buy some old stuff on ebay. So far I am looking at the Proton D1200 and, Hafler 500 for the amp. For the pre-amp I am looking at the B&K PT-3.

Thanks!

There are a few "digital" amps and receivers on the market by companies like Sharp and Sony (there are others). They will tend to have less of the low level distortion than similarly priced conventional transistor amps/receivers and so sound much more natural with your Fortes.

If you can, audition them. Don't be fooled by a low price. It doesn't cost much to make a pretty decent "digital" amp. It tends to cost a lot to make a decent conventional transistor amp.

Leo

You can pick these up cheap and if you swap out the tubes for some NOS units, it will sound very good. You will not find a receiver for any price {unless theres somthing I dont know about] that will give you the sound quality of a $300.00 push pull intergraded tube amp {below 90db}. Study these forums wisely before making a purchase, it your money and ears.By the way, welcome to the forum

post-15348-13819257783806_thumb.jpg

You're getting some good recommendations. BTW, receivers are tuners/pre-amps and amp in one package, ideal for a college student.

If you don't find something to your liking/budget among the suggestions from the other guys, a Marantz receiver from the '70's might fill the bill for you until you upgrade. Something between a 2238 and a 2285 should match the Forte's nicely. If you are a party animal I wouldn't go below a 2245. Ebay always has lots of listings like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50591&item=5718724074&rd=1

Plenty of money left for beer! Be advised, though, you might never want to get rid of the Marantz, they grow on you!

----------------

On 9/3/2004 4:08:51 AM wick650 wrote:

So my dad's handing down his klipsch forte speakers to me, I've grown up with these speakers and, love them....

Thanks!

----------------

What did your dad use to power them? Since you've always loved them, perhaps you can get him to part with that as well. Otherwise, an older Harman/Kardon as suggested above.

I would also recommend a vintage HK receiver versus a modern receiver. I bought my HK630 in 10/10 condition for a little less than $100 with shipping off ebay, and it sounds a heck of a lot better than my HK AVR510 which had an original MSRP of $1000. So if you don't need the modern decoding and video switched for say a home theater, then get a less costly (and better sounded) vintage 2-channel unit. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Thanks for all the sugestions guys! Beer money would be nice to have,and it seems I can save a lot on a old HK or similar reciever, but I am very interested in a amp/pre-amp combo, as I am planning on keeping this set up for a long time and want something I'll really enjoy. As far as a digital set up, what should I be looking for?

Do you guys think buying a good old amp/pre-amp set up would be a good investment, or a waste of my hard earned cash?

I've been looking at a lot of stuff on ebay, and it seems I can get a sweet old amp/pre-amp combo for cheap, but I don't have the knowledge to feel confident in my choice.

Thanks again for the help!

BTW oops on the receiver comment, I'm a big newbie!

The answer depends on what you are going to use the Forte's for. If it is just music, get either An older HK430/ to 930 two channel receiver for less than a hundred, or an integrated Scott tube amp around $400.00, and the Forte's will sound great. Surround sound is a different beast.

The HK is good but maybe a little aggressive on the highs for the Fortes but it has great bass. I have a Marantz 2215B in my office running an old pair of Mission 761i and a Cambridge passive sub (hooked to the second speakers). It sounds terrific, looks cool and had more than enough power for your horns. And it would not be something that anyone would wanna steal but if they did, you can replace it for under $50. The classic Marantz sound is defiinitely college material. And if you can find one with the wood cabinet, oooooooooooo! Then go out and get some granite cut for the tops of those Fortes.

I don't know if you would have time for tube tweaking and such. Save that stuff for when you have time after you start making the big bucks, then get a Blackberry and VRD monoblocks.

(What's a Blueberry and VRD? Soon you will know, Grasshopper.)

Part of the problem is you say you'll be a student with a bit of a budget, but you want a Good Sweet Old amp/Preamp off eBay for cheep. Ensuring all those conditions fall into place is not a given when buying old components off eBay.

Sometimes those who want cheap buys...actually get the same quality merchandise.

Caveat Emptor!!

Save that stuff for when you have time after you start making the big bucks, then get a Blackberry and VRD monoblocks.

(What's a Blueberry and VRD? Soon you will know, Grasshopper.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A potent (just damn amazing amplification) but scary combination for youngsters.

Only obtain a pair of VRDs when you are sure none of your visitors will spill beer on them.

A used HK Twin powered or one of the digitals LEOK mentioned is the best for a young audiophile that may have equipment in "harms way".

The hafler dh500 is a wonderful sounding amp with the larger Khorns. I used one for a while. They're a bargain on ebay but shipping can be tough on the big amp if not packed really well.

Another is the adcom gfa555 amp and the gfp555 preamp. These also sounded excellent with my khorns.