ebay AARRRRRGGGHH

colterphoto1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5717865581&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

This item, a pair of fair to good Cornwalls, just went for $521!!! Although I contacted the seller about a BID price, it went ignored. Then I find out today that the seller closed the bidding early to go with this guys' low ball price. These were probably worth at least $650. This is now the THIRD pair of Cornwalls I've lost out on (one was a Forum sale)

WHAT DOES IT TAKE?!?!?!?!?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay gang, I've got a line on two totally beat up heresies on eBay. And the sellers here in Indianapolis. Anybody know this guy? labyrinthofquality

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5718303531&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:US:1Bidding now at $150.

I sent an email to him (citing our common city and lack of shipping, which he is picking up) and did place one bid (minimum increment) to get his attention, which immediately got outbid by da other guy. How do I stay in the running- this AUCTION SNIPE thing? What does it do, come in at the last minute and shuffle $$ until you reach your 'high' point? How does one determine one's high bid, when you want to get a DEAL!

I mean, these are black heresies with holes drilled, probably for mounting in a club, so they ran all the time, woofers are blown, which can be fixed. What are they worth? I'd just like to win ONE bid for a change. Thanks.

just put in the highest price you are willing to pay and let the chips fall where they may.....

If someone wants to outbid you then so be it...Patience is required for Auctions else will end up spending more then you desire in the first place

Colter -

Just do what ygmn says. For instance, if you're willing to

pay $500 and no more, enter a bid for $501.67 (for good measure).

Your bid will show up on ebay at one of the following:

A.) The $501.67 (if that's less than the reserve set by the seller)

B.) The reserve price set by the seller (if it's met)

C.) The next bid increment over the existing high bid

D.) The next bid increment over the current high bidder's maximum bid.

E.) None of the above, it'll push up someone else's bid if their max exceeds yours.

So, if the current high bid is $200, and that bidder had set a max bid

of $305, your entry bid will be $306 (or whatever the increment is).

Your bid will not go higher until someone then bids more than $306.

At that point your bid will increase automatically until it reaches $501.67.

Then you are out of the running, unless you place a new bid.

BEWARE - Once you bid the $501.67, if you decide to increase later (before

anyone else overbids you) you are effectively BIDDING AGAINST YOURSELF.

This will make your current bid increase to $501.67 plus the increment, no matter

where it was before you decided to place the second (competing) bid.

I hope this all makes sense . . .

Dave

Do everything these guys are recommending, but wait till the last minuet to bid. There is absolutely no advantage by bidding early, unless you know your not going to be near your PC at the closing minuet's of the auction.

If you bid early, you'll only get frustrated watching people peck away at your bid price. Or, you might go behind the scenes and see if you can strike a deal with the seller. GOOD LUCK!!

----------------

On 9/9/2004 6:03:15 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

okay gang, I've got a line on two totally beat up heresies on eBay. And the sellers here in Indianapolis. Anybody know this guy? labyrinthofquality

now at $150.

I sent an email to him (citing our common city and lack of shipping, which he is picking up) and did place one bid (minimum increment) to get his attention, which immediately got outbid by da other guy. How do I stay in the running- this AUCTION SNIPE thing? What does it do, come in at the last minute and shuffle $$ until you reach your 'high' point? How does one determine one's high bid, when you want to get a DEAL!

I mean, these are black heresies with holes drilled, probably for mounting in a club, so they ran all the time, woofers are blown, which can be fixed. What are they worth? I'd just like to win ONE bid for a change. Thanks.

----------------

I Won some LPs from that guy on ebay. I paid with paypal and Paypal rejected the payment back to me with a warning that he is using multiple e-mail addresses. I tried to contact him on this and he said he wants money order only. I SMELL A RAT!!!15.gif

"BEWARE - Once you bid the $501.67, if you decide to increase later (before

This will make your current bid increase to $501.67 plus the increment, no matter

where it was before you decided to place the second (competing) bid."

Dave, this NOT TRUE!

Normally, increasing one's Proxy will not increase the current bid showing. The following are the three instances where a subsequent bid placed by the leader will increase the bid amount:

(1) You're bidding on a Reserve Auction and the Reserve price has not been met.

(2) You're in the lead, but by less than a full bid increment. In this case, if you bid again, the system will take what it needs from this next bid of yours to meet the full bid increment.

(3) You are tied with another bidder. If you bid again, the system will automatically take from your next bid the necessary amount to put you *in the lead* by one full increment.

----------------

On 9/9/2004 11:39:24 PM cmdridq wrote:

"BEWARE - Once you bid the $501.67, if you decide to increase later (before

where it was before you decided to place the second (competing) bid."

Dave, this NOT TRUE!

Normally, increasing one's Proxy will not increase the current bid showing. The following are the three instances where a subsequent bid placed by the leader will increase the bid amount:

(1) You're bidding on a Reserve Auction and the Reserve price has not been met.

(2) You're in the lead, but by less than a full bid increment. In this case, if you bid again, the system will take what it needs from this next bid of yours to meet the full bid increment.

(3) You are tied with another bidder. If you bid again, the system will automatically take from your next bid the necessary amount to put you *in the lead* by one full increment.

----------------

Uhhh... Are you sure about that? If someone has bid $300, I bid $501.67, the high bid (assuming no reserve) will show at $305 (or whatever the next increment is). Then I bid $550, the bid stays at $305??? I was positive that the bid would go to $511.67 (or whatever...) until you said otherwise.

----------------

On 9/10/2004 2:30:45 AM toddvj wrote:

Uhhh... Are you sure about that? If someone has bid $300, I bid $501.67, the high bid (assuming no reserve) will show at $305 (or whatever the next increment is). Then I bid $550, the bid stays at $305??? I was positive that the bid would go to $511.67 (or whatever...) until you said otherwise.

----------------

Then you're one of those rare individuals who can be positive AND wrong.:) Raising your proxy does not raise your bid unless it meets one of those conditions in my previous post.

Well then, how does THIS happen. Notice that on the auction

in question, twolves2003, cyws, and colterphoto effectively

outbid themselves, driving up the price in both cases. I stand

by what I said unless PROVEN otherwise.

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

Copied & Pasted from Ebay auction -

hbailey1hi-fi ( 85) US $221.21 Sep-08-04 22:22:50 PDT

twolves2003 ( 0 ) US $210.00 Sep-09-04 19:58:38 PDT

twolves2003 ( 0 ) US $200.00 Sep-09-04 19:58:13 PDT

chryslerjay69qt ( 2 ) US $190.00 Sep-09-04 19:51:04 PDT

cyws ( 4 ) US $180.00 Sep-09-04 12:47:09 PDT

cyws ( 4 ) US $170.00 Sep-09-04 12:45:55 PDT

colterphoto ( 0 ) US $164.01 Sep-09-04 04:08:16 PDT

colterphoto ( 0 ) US $159.01 Sep-09-04 04:07:38 PDT

colterphoto ( 0 ) US $154.01 Sep-08-04 20:27:18 PDT

hbailey1hi-fi ( 85) US $151.51 Sep-01-04 23:42:41 PDT

mdmiller45 ( 16) US $150.00 Sep-01-04 20:40:04 PDT

blueeyztoo ( 500) US $57.89 Sep-01-04 13:12:41 PDT

ferlinetto ( 14) US $55.00 Aug-31-04 20:38:14 PDT

yourvaluesource ( 4 ) US $52.00 Sep-01-04 12:37:04 PDT

hassenforder ( 3 ) US $50.00 Sep-01-04 07:09:36 PDT

johnbieker ( 93) US $45.00 Aug-31-04 17:39:17 PDT

--------------------------------------------------------------

I think I get the hang of how this works. You have to pretend that eBay is the auctioneer standing guard, working very quickly in whatever increment is used for each bid item. When I was bidding around $150, it would ask for bid increment to say 151.50, which I would then do. If anyone else had a higher 'max' bid on record, then it would immediately click to next increment to that buyer, tell me immediately I was outbid, then ask me for the next increment. Say we were now at 153, it would ask me for 154.50, and so on until I had beat the other guy or gave up. I think that is why so many people wait until the gavel is about to sound, then jump in with their max bid and say a prayer. In that we we aren't bidding against each other directly to bid up the price, we are essentially ignorant of the other guys' value of the property and each placing blind, sealed bids to the auctioneer, who of course, sells to highest, assuming reserve price has been met and we bow down to the other seller's ridiculous demands....

----------------

On 9/10/2004 6:58:01 AM WS65711 wrote:

Well then, how does THIS happen. Notice that on the auction

in question, twolves2003, cyws, and colterphoto effectively

outbid themselves, driving up the price in both cases. I stand

by what I said unless PROVEN otherwise.

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

Copied & Pasted from Ebay auction -

hbailey1hi-fi ( 85) US $221.21 Sep-08-04 22:22:50 PDT

twolves2003 ( 0 ) US $210.00 Sep-09-04 19:58:38 PDT

twolves2003 ( 0 ) US $200.00 Sep-09-04 19:58:13 PDT

chryslerjay69qt ( 2 ) US $190.00 Sep-09-04 19:51:04 PDT

cyws ( 4 ) US $180.00 Sep-09-04 12:47:09 PDT

cyws ( 4 ) US $170.00 Sep-09-04 12:45:55 PDT

colterphoto ( 0 ) US $164.01 Sep-09-04 04:08:16 PDT

colterphoto ( 0 ) US $159.01 Sep-09-04 04:07:38 PDT

colterphoto ( 0 ) US $154.01 Sep-08-04 20:27:18 PDT

hbailey1hi-fi ( 85) US $151.51 Sep-01-04 23:42:41 PDT

mdmiller45 ( 16) US $150.00 Sep-01-04 20:40:04 PDT

blueeyztoo ( 500) US $57.89 Sep-01-04 13:12:41 PDT

ferlinetto ( 14) US $55.00 Aug-31-04 20:38:14 PDT

yourvaluesource ( 4 ) US $52.00 Sep-01-04 12:37:04 PDT

hassenforder ( 3 ) US $50.00 Sep-01-04 07:09:36 PDT

johnbieker ( 93) US $45.00 Aug-31-04 17:39:17 PDT

--------------------------------------------------------------

----------------

The reason you THINK it happened is because you don't understand how to read one of those listings. You have to factor in the posting time. hbailey's bid of $221.21 was placed BEFORE all those other bids you referred to in your post. hbailey outbid them, their intermediate bids had NO effect on each other. Get it now?

You folks should study the ebay bidding rules before you start throwing around your money. You will lose auctions you should have won, and end up paying more than you should have if you don't understand the nuances of their procedures. If anyone has any questions, I will try to help you.

Jake

Colter -

I think you're catching on. The only other thing is (IMHO),

it doesn't really make any difference WHEN you place your maximum

bid. Waiting until the last minutes is of no real value. No one

can "See" what your max bid is until it is reached or exceeded by

another bidder. If it was truly your "max", you're not going to be

inclined to increase it again anyway.

The only real reason to wait until the last day or two of the auction

to bid, is in case you stumble upon another (better) deal in the meantime.

That way, you're free to bid on the "better" deal, and not "locked in" to

the first auction, which you may subsequently win.

Just my 2 cents . . .

Dave