sniping

colterphoto1

E-bay, looks like the other bidder on this pair of beat up heresies has the snipe working for him. I've bid twice this morning (each time the minimum increment) and immediately I am outbid by an equal amount. So let's say I get a snipe also, are snipes go at each other until one buyer's max is reached at which point the other guy wins.

So the GAME is to assign my top price to these speakers, then pick some weird incremental number just above the weird incremental number the other guy picks. Right??

Help me out, unless BOOMAC comes through with his beaters, I'll lose out again, I know its a game of patience, getting a deal on the right speakers, just tired of losing all the time. Thanks,

Michael

Mike, that is not a snipe, that is a proxy bid. The bidder places a bid for the highest amount that he is willing to spend for the item. Each time you bid against him all you are doing is raising the price. The computer will continue to proxy bid for the current bidder until you top the amount that he has entered.

A snipe is when you swoop in in the final seconds of the auction, drop your maximum bid and pull the item out from under somebody's nose. This is provided that your max bid was higher than the amount placed by the current high bidder. It is best to wait until the very end of the auction to bid, early bidding merely drives the price of the item up. Resist the urge to continue bidding and wait until the final minute to bid.

Thanks, I did some Ebay reading and came across that info. So the 'auctionsnipe' is just an automated way to get your bid in at the last second. Lets presume a majority of serious bidders do this, then it's not so much an active bidding process as who values the item the highest, absent the info about who else is interested in whatever price. Makes it kind of tough to get any deal, doesn't it?

Any rate, what would be a fair price to get this pair of beat up heresies? The good new is that I got my Corns for $300 a pair, the bad news is that I got my Corns for $300 a pair, now I compare everything to that deal!

Thanks,

Michael

On 9/9/2004 7:20:58 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Thanks, I did some Ebay reading and came across that info. So the 'auctionsnipe' is just an automated way to get your bid in at the last second. Lets presume a majority of serious bidders do this, then it's not so much an active bidding process as who values the item the highest, absent the info about who else is interested in whatever price. Makes it kind of tough to get any deal, doesn't it?

Not really. If anyone wants to pay more than I do, they can have it, regardless of when the bid is placed. It's who bids highest, not who bids last, that counts. 2.gif

Any rate, what would be a fair price to get this pair of beat up heresies? The good new is that I got my Corns for $300 a pair, the bad news is that I got my Corns for $300 a pair, now I compare everything to that deal!

That's a tough one to measure. You can get a feel for the average price of good Heresies by looking at recently-ended auctions, then subtract what it would take to bring these up to par. I suppose it depends on what you want them for as well. Custom center for your Cornies?

Sniping rulez on eBay! I do it all the time. It's the only way to fly. You don't bid early cause then other people have a chance to think about it and bid it up. Wait til about the last 20 seconds, and then submit your best bid. If you win you'll be happy, and if not, someone else paid more than your best bid so that's life. Tomorrow is another day!

I usually snipe with 4 seconds left but as long as it's within the last 8 seconds or so, you're fine.

I paid just over $200 for my beat up pair of '72 heresys. They were in 100% working condition but the cabinets were pretty bad. After Greg's handy work with the zebrawood, they're beautiful. I wouldn't pay more than $200 since you need to replace drivers and refinish the cabinets. You may as well spend a little more and get some nice ones.

I snipe at 3 seconds or less. But I have a fast, reliable connection. It keeps folks who cannot make up their mind how much they are willing to pay from driving up the price. Bid the max you are willing to pay. If you get them for less, you got a bargain. If someone else got them, they paid too much.

Yep, sniping is just part of the real estate on Ebay. Getting in a bidding war is not to the buyer's advantage.

The seller is protected with their reserve price, if they so desire.

bidslammer.com is one service that will snipe, usually in the last 4 seconds. Three free snipes to start.