M/C cartridge with blueberry?

radiob

I am currently using a audio technica 440 MM cartridge on my rega 250 arm with a planer 2 deck. I moved my rack with components to another room and ran the patch cords through the wall to my amps in my listening room. When I use analog with my 90 db/4ohm speakers I have to use large amounts of power to listen to music at 92db, so it seems I have lost alot of detail in my LPs. Can I use a moving coil cartridge without a seperate pre-phono? If so, any recomendations on which cartridge sounds the best with the rega/250 arm combo.

----------------

On 9/14/2004 5:12:19 AM radiob wrote:

I definetly want to try a MC, any suggestions? Also can the mod be installed by me or do I send it back to the Vinyard?
9.gif

----------------

Make sure that the cart is matched with the capacity of the stage (ie: 47k, 30k, or ?). With that in mind buy the best cart your budget will allow. There are many nice carts out there. I currently use the LYRA HELIKON, IMHO it is musical yet transparent. They retail for $2,000.00 but can be grabed on Audiogon for $900.00 ~ $1100.00 If you have a good retailer near you, try several demo carts out. Enjoy and have fun.

Roy

"what are you willing to spend?"

How fast does it go? In some hobbies it is the same question.

In our case of course - how good does it sound might be more appropriate, along with WHERE IS THE BLOODY EUROPEAN VERSION????9.gif9.gif

That LOMC should be the standard fitting on the Euro version - with MM being the option.

Are the settings variable by the user for changes in cartridges used? If not something like 100 mF, 100 Ohms and sufficient gain for a 0.5 mV output should be fine (for me anyway). Actually a variable gain control could be nice - even if hidden internally.

I Know that the table and arm are not the greatest, but I do have them in another room than the speakers, so I get no vibration at the table. Im not crazy about over priced MC cartridges, only good ones, price comes with quality I understand. Will a 1000.00 cartridge make more of an improvement than a 1000.00 table/arm combo? I can put the orgin live mods in the arm, but vibration control is not an issue so, I thought a table would be the least effective mod for the buck.I have looked on audiogon at the different cartridges and am lost, I do not want to throw a grand or so in the wrong direction.So once again, any favorites? Or should I scrap the whole idea, spend the extra money on a better tt/arm/cart in the used market altogether?

Well, I went to buy a new MC cartridge I ended up buying a Music hall mmf-7. The MMF-7 comes standard with a Goldring Eroica H, high output mC cartridge. The sound is a huge improvement over the rega combo I was useing. The instructions to the MMF say you use it with a regular MM phono stage, it works, but my gains are all the way up on the Blueberry and I have to have the volume at 4-5 o-clock, so I get a little distortion when I drive the sunfire 300 two into 4 ohms with that much gain. Can the Blueberry be upgraded for this cartridge? or is it ok as is?

325 watts per channel driven into 8 ohms 20hz-20khz w/no more than .5%T.H.D

Power at clipping, minimum:650 WPC into 4 ohms,1300 WPC into 2 OHMS

Hum and Noise -100db,A-weighted

Maximum output current 80 aps peak to peak per channel

Maximum output voltage 51Vrms

Output impedance : voltage source 0 ohms, current source 1 ohm

Input impedence, Rca inputs 30k

input sensitivity for rated output: unbalanced 1.8Vrms, balanced 1.8Vrms

Power consumption:45W at idle, 150 1/8 power, 1800w max power

I am useing this amp with 4 ohm speakers with 2.5 ohm min.12.gif

I am comfortable with the putting the TT in another room to get rid of vibration.

Though, in another room could make for a very long interconnect lenght.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Are you still less than 1.5 meters?

I cannot remember what was rule of thumbe max interconnect lenth.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My JA Michell has 3 cone point feet that are threded and really easy to adjust.

i think the cones drain vibrations very well. Not need to move the table.

I have thohgt about the "SANDBOX" for under the table.

Nice wood box homemade and sealed filled with play sand. Then add a thick plexiglass plate to the top of the sand smaller than the box. Relatively easy to level and good for vibration abatement.

I have only my amps in the listening room, front end in the other. I am useing MIT s3 3m w selectable impedence interconnects through the wall from the blueberrry. The MMF-7 can use regular rca patch cord to the pre, I am currently useing kimber silver streak .5m from the MMF to the blueberry. Do you need special capacitance cables for turntables?