Who Else Hates Snakes

garymd

Unlike snakes, I really like the Cornwalls a lot. Forte IIs are wonderful speakers but they don't fill the room like the Cornwalls do. Like Indyklipschfan has said, "big box - big sound". Even my wife likes the sound. To quote her, "they're butt ugly but they sure sound great". I don't think they're that ugly.

It only means that the end of the world is near 6.gif. So don't worry about it 9.gif

----------------

On 9/13/2004 11:12:30 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

----------------

On 9/13/2004 10:41:50 PM Seadog wrote:

Klipschfoot, did you realize that your 666th post was about snakes and liberals?

----------------

Please tell me what that means. Is it a "sign?"

I have a few laughs at those who want to turn this forum into some kind of political speakeasy. I enjoy a little fun jabbing at sensitivities on these boards, hoping that no one here takes these posts here too seriously. But some, apparently, do. This is an AUDIO site fer cryin' out loud!

This November, vote for the "liar." 9.gif

----------------

Hey garymd - you need to come down here to Georgia in the early Spring. In Claxton, GA every year they have the Rattlesnake Round-up festival where they....

Round-up rattlesnakes.

No ****e! Among the many crafts and displays and food booths there is a snake pen that contains as many as 150+ rattlesnakes. DNR (dept. of natural resources AKA game wardens) guys work the pen and cull out snakes one-by-one and then "milk" the snakes' venom. The venom is used to make snake bite serum. It's amazing to watch these guys work the pen. For the record, I've never gotten closer than maybe 10 feet to the pen. Oh - and they stink. Blech! 14.gif

And the guys that catch these snakes are a piece of work too! Look like extras from the movie Deliverance. They talk about finding snake holes and using a plastic tube or hose to listen for them in the holes. To get the snake out they spit gasoline through the tube into the hole. Then when the snake comes out, they "git 'em". I asked one guy, "Isn't the snake kinda pissed off when he comes out?" He replied, "Well hell yeah! But he's also a might bit drunk so's he's easy to ****** up".

Ho boy......... 6.gif1.gif

Tom

I was bitten in the jaw by a black snake once, so my fear of them has subsided.

My wife however was bitten on the hand by a copperhead in our basement. They gave her Cepro and drew her blood for about a week. She still has the battle scars.

They don't creep me out like they used too, and I would always let a King snake live because of his menu choices.

A gopher snake came into our building just this morning. I captured it, and now it's sitting in a container in my office. He did get me on the finger -- little buggers are quick -- but they're also completely harmless to anyone with a normal immune system. I'll turn him loose after work so he can go about his job.

Frankly, fear and loathing of non-venomous reptiles that are not large enough to eat you is silly. Be sure to give those rose bushes a wide berth -- they have thorns.

TBrennan: Speaking of cats, my buddy out in Nevada nearly walked under this 100-pound, cougar while bird hunting on Sunday morning. He snapped this photo with his right hand while holding his shot gun in the other hand. Neither hunter nor cat were harmed. The hunter nearly became "the hunted".

cougar.jpgpost-10177-1381925788831_thumb.jpg

Picky, that is just too scary. If I lived where they had big cats, I'd never leave the back yard. -- I forgot, I DO live where they have big cats; they just are few and far between. We have occasional sightings of black or tan panthers here in SW Mizzou.

As for snakes, I don't really have a phobia about them, but I DO NOT want to be surprised by one, either. And the thought of one in the house does give me the willys. On second thought, maybe I am phobic about snakes. I just don't understand people who have snakes for pets. It just seems unnatural. Or at least, it sure is for me.

Oh - btw Tom, maybe YOUR ancestors lived in trees; mine lived in a garden.12.gif

jdm56: Both Cougars and Panthers have been spotted in Michigan recently and we are also being overun by Coyotes; all of which, used to be associated only with the Western states by Michigan residents. Not any more. The "do-gooders" have also built our Timber Wolf popular back up to the point that livestock and small children in Northern rural areas are now at risk. Gee, thanks.

Snakes! ?

Since my knowledge of snakes is zip I must say heck no they are creepy. Was on vacation one time and in the middle of the dirt path the snake was coiled up sleeping or whatever he thought he was doing and I came within 12" of stepping right on him. Oh man......in the middle of a State Park nobody around to help and in a state I knew of no doctors office.

Snakes.......no I'll pass, thank you very much.

6.gif ..Pat

----------------

On 9/16/2004 4:47:15 AM jdm56 wrote:

Picky, that is just too scary. If I lived where they had big cats, I'd never leave the back yard. -- I forgot, I DO live where they have big cats; they just are few and far between. We have occasional sightings of black or tan panthers here in SW Mizzou.

As for snakes, I don't really have a phobia about them, but I DO NOT want to be surprised by one, either. And the thought of one in the house does give me the willys. On second thought, maybe I am phobic about snakes. I just don't understand people who have snakes for pets. It just seems unnatural. Or at least, it sure is for me.

Oh - btw Tom, maybe YOUR ancestors lived in trees; mine lived in a garden.
12.gif
----------------

That's and interesting analogy. But, as luck would have it, I can relate. You see, I don't understand people that live in Nevada, MO. That just seems unatural. At least it sure is for me. 2.gif

A few years ago I was in Dallas helping my sister and brother in law put up a retaining wall. We needed water for mortar and I went out back to the hose connection. This was in the bushes near the house.

Gosh, there is this big old snake coiled up. I know that there is a venemous one and a harmless one which look alike except for the sequence of color bands. Very weird. As if a resistor with with xyz color codes is okay but xzy will kill you. This hardly ever happens in electonics. There is a nmemonic about resistor color codes. Bad boys ... . and something the same with snakes ". . . friend of mine." Does anyone know this?.

I call the rest of the gang saying, "You want to see a snake." So we all come back to the bushes near the hose connection. We're from New York suburbs and know nothing except what is in the Boy Scout Handbook, which is not exactly fresh in memory.

But Cocoa the Weimarana (sp) dog comes too and she is sniffing and barking. The snake does something which is difficult to comprehend at first. It caughs up a frog. And the frog jumps away. Yup. Poor old snake was in the bushes for a meal and relaxing. I suppose its reaction was to lighten the load to defend against the pending attack from the dog.

My good brother in law was about to get closer but I convinced him that we didn't know whether it was venemous or not. The snake got the sharp end of a shovel. BiL showed the remains to the kids. Kids were grossed out.

In retrospect, I think if it was venemous, the frog would have been dead before being ingested.

= = = = =

Funny thing. TCM had King Kong last weekend. When Fay is taken to his cave, there is a big snake and KK kills it. Of course he's also gone through some dinosaurs already and moves on to pterodactyls in the next scene.

But, this week I'm in LA and visit the Getty. They have an exibits on Greek sculputure. One of the feats of Hercules is to kill a big snake. Huh. Maybe KK's actions are a nod to Greek mythology.

It just shows how snakes get a bad rap, or that there is a universal fear.

Gil

Gil,

The mnemonic you're talking about refers to the similar coloring of the coral snake, which is venomous, and it's mimic snakes, which are not. There are two varieties of coral snake. The Eastern variety is found mostly in Florida and has two mimics, the scarlet snake and the scarlet king snake. The Western variety is found around the Mexican border. Its mimic is the mountain king snake.

Coral snakes are not aggressive. They have a potent venom, but they are generally small snakes and their delivery is inefficient. They have to chew on you to inject it. Coral snakes are responsible for about 1% of venomous snake bites in the US. Rattlesnakes are good for half the bites and 95% of the deaths, with copperheads and water moccasins splitting the difference.

Red touching black, venom lack. Red touching yellow, kill a fellow. You're right about the frog -- if you'd seen a coral snake, the frog would not have hopped away. Any time you see a snake like that that is larger than about two feet long, it's a king. Mountain kings go to about three and a half feet.