Monster PowerCenters - junk or cool tweak?

kenratboy

I recently read this article from Audioholics:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/monster_HTS-3500a.php

And got to wondering, are these things really worth a danm? I think they look cool, and I assume the better ones (like the one in question - $400) are very good surge protectors. However, do they actually help your system by giving your gear better power and reducing noise and interference? I do not know.

If you are just a Monster hater, use Panamax or any other brands. I just want to know if these things are worth it.

So we are on the same page, lets talk about using a $400 power center in a $5,000 system (not like a Sony boombox or anything!)

Thanks!

I have 2 of these ( pictures avalible if wanted ) personaly besides the surge protection i like the step up and step down power of the components.

I did have a minor line hum before installing the two of them , now it's gone .

Who's product is better ? I don't know , i buy whats local and warrentable in my area . They all basicly do the same job .

Some of these products will do a " stellar " job in certain areas while others might notice nothing at all .

When conditioning A/C one must always see whats in close proximity to your dwelling , your line feeds different branchs which all put some kind of crap back into the line .

Have you ever been watching a ball game or intresting program ? then the wife or your mom fires up a mixmaster or electric knife in the kitchen !! what happens to the picture on the tv ?????

That is crap fed back into the grid of the house by the electric moter of the devise in question , the exact same thing can happen in the area your power lines branch from . If your drawning from residential as well as light industrial then interference can come thru.

None of us will ever see the same potential . Get what i'm saying ?

Yeah, it does kind of depend on where you live. If you live in an apartment or condo or somewhere that suffers from shared power lines, chances are you're getting more than just dirty power. Maybe when the fridge turns on, or someone fires up an electric drill, or a high-powered lamp is flipped on, the voltage running through your place sags. The lights dim. Your TV picture turns to sh!t. Maybe you've noticed some days your system sounds great, and the picture is stellar, and the next day everything leaves you wondering if you were dreaming because it sounds so bad. On the other hand, perhaps you're lucky and live somewhere where you receive relatively steady 120 volt power.

I have Monster's 2 top of the line units (HTPS 7000 and AVS 2000), and I've not really noticed any dramatic difference in anything. Well, perhaps the color saturation on my TV was slightly better, but it could just be placebo as well. Granted, I only have my source components plugged into them (HD tuner, CD changer, DVD player, VCR, etc.), as any attempt to plug an amp (much less both of my amps) into them would fry the units faster than the blink of an eye. So if nothing else, you might want to think about a Monster unit for surge protection.

While people might disagree with me on this, PS Audio makes several products, such as their Power Director, Ultimate Outlets, and Power Plants, that have been proven to clean up, filter, balance, and maintain steady AC current via computer tests and sine wave analysis. I myself have demoed these products when attached and not attached to high-end gear, and the difference is nothing less than dramatic. I was sold. Wider sound stage, more presence in the mid-range, tighter bass, all that jazz, and then some.

Call me a fanboy, maybe I am, but these things DO work. They are what Monster only dreams on achieving, multiplied by 10. And no, it's not snake oil, smoke and mirrors, placebo, or anything else you want to call it. They're more than just line conditioners, which is what Monster's products are. Problem is that you pay a hefty (and I do mean hefty) price for these...

...the Power Plant alone costs $4000.

----------------

On 9/16/2004 11:51:28 AM PhilMays wrote:

Fini - Thats funny and I don't even understand it!

DKP - What do you mean it cleaned up your video? Did it give you a better

picture from cable/sat or what?
----------------

PhilMays-yes, cable television seemed to be significantly better when running it through the Monster unit. We had some friends over for the super bowl and the picture was less than satisfactory. I added the unit sometime later and the picture was much better.

David

----------------

On 9/16/2004 8:35:51 PM SteelerFan wrote:

Will any of these power conditoners/surge protectors really do anything for a hum problem? One of these units is about the only option I've left to try to cure mine. Otherwise, I'm working on getting used to it.
----------------

Yes, that is the idea of it - obviously it is not a cure-all, so just try it!!!

I have said it before and will say it again, they PROTECT...I use a MONSTER HTPS7000 POWER CENTRE, they work as they are described to and have had NO problems, bravo Monster...10.gif

Long story short, I lived in an isolated community in the high Arctic years ago, where the power was supplied by diesel generator, 3 of them, 1 full time, 1 part time, and last, stand by....go figure eh...10.gif

At that time I used an Adcom ACE-515 Enhancer..did the job, oh yeah..protected my equipment period.2.gif

PS. haven't seen anything clean up a video signal better...audio hasn't impressed me yet, but video quality has...10.gif

----------------

On 9/16/2004 8:35:51 PM SteelerFan wrote:

Will any of these power conditoners/surge protectors really do anything for a hum problem? One of these units is about the only option I've left to try to cure mine. Otherwise, I'm working on getting used to it.
----------------

Steelerfan-well, I had a subwoofer hum issue as well-more likely than not caused by a ground loop issue. I made several changes at once, so I'm not sure if which variable got rid of the hum. Here are the changes I made, hope it helps.

Receiver changed-this should not eliminate a loop problem.

The sub is now plugged into the Monster unit. Before it was on another outlet, so I cannot say for sure that it was the Monster unit that got rid of the hum. Plugging both into the same outlet may have alleviated the issue as well.

Cable television now runs through the Monster unit. My understanding is that the cable for the television should be grounded when it enters the house. I don't believe mine is, and that may have caused the loop issue. It is now connected through the Monster unit, so again, I cannot say for sure that the Monster unit eliminated the loop.

Good luck!

David

My wife does a lot of seamstress/sewing. When she would run her machine, even though I have ISOBARS, there would be herringbone pattern and hum in the picture of the television.

I bought one of the Radio Shack single outlet power surge, RFI/EMI controllor/Filters. Plugged her sewing machine into that then into wall outlet. Now she can sew all she wants with the same machine with no affect on the television picture.

Sometimes and I say sometimes, you have to isolate the offending appliance if you can narrow it down.

dodger