2 Channel Receiver Suggestions Needed

dodger

Hello:

My cousin is getting a new Receiver. He has Cornwall IIs.

What he has been looking at is a Denon DRA-395. I think he might be able to do better. Budget is about $450.00 - $550.00.

This amount is short of a McIntosh 4100.

So I will defer to those familiar with more current models and different brands. His needs are:

Phono, Am/FM/FM Stereo, CD, and at least 2 possibly 3 Aux., Tape in/out.

His room needs controls, very bright, girlfriend will not allow changes in furnishings. Variable (if possible) loudness, bass, treble, (mid would be nice), headphone output.

He has a Best Buy, Circuit City, another stereo shop and a high end shop near him, but he said he's open.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

dodger

I know a lot of people in the past have frowned on Yamaha, but I have several, all with Klipsch and am very happy.

Recently set up my home office with 2 ch sound from TV,iMac jukebox, and 5cd changer going into Yamaha RX596 receiver. It's got plenty of inputs, good tuner, VARIABLE LOUDNESS (great for quiet office listening) and separate REC OUT, which you can use as a send for other parts of the house. I really love this mid-line receiver and it wasn't too much $$$ either. Better damping factor than lots of other HT receivers. I think you get better layout and transistors with 2ch receivers vs the 5,6,7 ch variety. Also has a CD DIRECT switch to bypass all tone controls and circutry.

If a remote is not essential, I'd see if I could find a good condition 1970's Marantz or Harman Kardon receiver. many here favor the HK X30 line: 430, 630, 730 and 930, especially with Heritage Klipsch.

If the remote is a must, Rotel makes some nice 2 channel pieces.

By the way, IMHO, no reason in the world that you need to buy a receiver new, especially if its 2 channel. Plenty of great deals out there in the used market that will stretch you dollar and get you a really nice unit.

1. I prefer integrateds to receivers. Get a potential source of distortion out of the box. I am considering the same thing for getting the crossover out of my ChorusIIs when I get time.

2. I have sevearl Denons and and HK ( an acquisition from the spring). They all seem to have a sweet spot or 2 on the volume control where they sound nice; but not like my tubes(way better soundstage and detail). The Denon Phono section sounds awful comapered to the HK.

I wish I still had not thrown ourt my old Marantz 2225 in the late 1980s.

Yamahas frequently sounded harsh to me.

Suggestion:

For this budget buy 2-3 used 1970s vintage ones off of e bay and keep the best 2.

I have not paid over $ 120 including shipping for any of my SS acquisitions.

----------------

On 9/17/2004 10:55:08 AM dodger wrote:

"...girlfriend will not allow changes in furnishings."

----------------

Perhaps your cousin should shop for someone who has a nice receiver and is looking for a pair of vintage horned speakers. 9.gif That, or she must really be a keeper. I have to admit that a good woman is better find than a good system.

----------------

On 9/17/2004 10:55:08 AM dodger wrote:

Hello:

My cousin is getting a new Receiver. He has Cornwall IIs.

His room needs controls, very bright, girlfriend will not allow changes in furnishings...

----------------

In relation to the girlfriend, I would suggest he trade her in on a new model that would better fit in with his current hi-fi system. He'd save money that way.

I think the H/K x30 series is great. Of course, it's not current manufacture and no remote, but they do sound good and hit it out of the park on cool factor as well as bang for the buck.

He'd have money left over for CD's! However, he might want to consider turning over the extra cash (for decorating) to his girlfriend. Earn some good will. 9.gif