Weird Ebay experience !

lynnm

I placed a proxy bid with a maximum of $750.00 on a pair of Black Lacquered Khorns on Ebay. This bid was acknowledged by Ebay with the comment that my bid while the high bid had not met the seller's reserve.

Fine by me. I was simply taking a flyer on scoring them on the cheap and as far as I was concerned that was the end of the story.

Imagine my suprise when I checked the auction later and learned I was now the high bidder at $1000.00. In addition I noticed that the speaker description had been altered slightly to indicate that the colour was "schwarz" rather than listed as black as it was at the time of my bid !!

I contacted the seller and informed him that there was something seriously wrong. He demanded that I retract "my" $1000.00 bid. I declined to do so as bid retractions look bad on one's bidding record.

In any event someone else bid them to $1499.00 and won the auction.

I have contacted Ebay security and asked them to look into this situation as I am concerned that my account may have been hacked and am awaiting a response from them.

Anyone else have something like this happen ??

I never had that happen.

I did check out that auction around 9:30 last night. I previously told the guy in an email that I would only pay $1,200.00 them, because I am only interested in the bottoms and that I would end up selling the tops. I told him that I would drive down this weekend with the cash. I never received a reply from him, so I assumed that his reserve was higher then my offer. I saw the bid for $1,499.00, so I didn't bid. I did check out the bidders list and thought that I saw your name, but at the time I wasn't sure if it was you or not.

Wow! I hope that's not a trend.

I purchased something once and sent a money order for the item. The money order was lost and it took almost 90 days to get my money from the bank.

I stayed in touch with the person I bought the item from to let them know what was going on. Because of the communication and positive feedback they let me slide and relisted the item for sale.

I would have gladly sent another money order (overnight) but it was a high ticket firearm and I really dod not have the money to tie up twice waiting for a bank check for 90 days.

I'm still nervious everytime I hit the send button when purchasing on-line.

Also did you hear about the Google search that yielded thousands of peoples credit card #'s and their buying habits?

What kind of a color is Schwarz? I don't see anything in the auction that indicates a change in color description. Bid history shows about 40 seconds after you placed a $750.00 bid, you placed a $1000.00 bid. I don't think anybody could have highacked your username and placed a bid that quickly.

You sure you weren't contemplating a higer bid after your 750 didn't hit reserve? You know, a little curiosity creeps in, then you just can't resist firing off that next bid6.gif6.gif6.gif

Actaully, I'm looking for a set of Khorns, I could have sworn I saw this auction a few days ago and didn't think it had a reserve.

----------------

On 9/20/2004 11:17:42 AM John Albright wrote:

"Schwartz" is German for Black.

----------------

Interesting. I have cousins named Schwartz on Long Island and they're as white as I am.9.gif

Why would anyone selling a pair of khorns on this continent change the color from black to "schwartz?"

What is even stranger is that after the auction ended I recieved an item not won notice from Ebay and a link to a similar item. When I clicked on the link I was taken to the original listing with the colour listed as black !

In any event I have contacted Ebay with this concern. I have also changed my password as suggested by Bill H and informed Ebay that I have been involved in no activity ( other than the auction in question ) for about 6 weeks. If they uncover any other activity within that time period I have asked that they suspend my account.

Here is a crazy ebay story that I heard.

So my friend bids on a digital camera from a legit seller.

Another guy (the ebay hacker) starts up a phony auction for the same item ( a popular digital camera)

My friend wins his auction, and someone else wins the other hackers auction around the same time.

The hacker tells his buyer the other sellers paypal account name.

The other seller gets paid from the other buyer and then ships the camera him. These two people both thought they were dealing with someone else! My friend was the one who was supposed to pay the real seller and get the camera but at this point no one knows whats going on except the hacker.

Ok, so the guy who was selling the real camera got paid and no longer is concerned with the auction. The hacker then sends and email to my friend requesting money for the camera. My friend thought he was talking to the real seller. My friend sends the money to the hacker and never got his camera. It took my friend a few weeks to figure all this out and it was not easy.

I may have left out a few details but his store is pretty complex. And in the end paypal NEVER helped my friend nor did ebay. And somehow everyone got good feedback because it a huge trick. My friend had to give the other guy good feedback because he did nothing wrong. There were 4 people involved, 2 innocent people, one thief and 1 victim.

My friend lost 350 bucks!

An ebay search under your username shows only activity in the last 30 days to be this auction and one other auction from August 18. A record cleaner of some sort.

Probably won't ever figure out what happened. Freaky glitch or something. I've still never seen the word "schwartz" anywhere in this auction. I'm curious only because I watched it a bit and I could have sworn there was no reserve early on... I remember when the bids were in the $450 range thinking it was funny that there was no reserve. But then again... I could be dreaming about some other poorly painted gloss back Klipschorns!