how much for one record?

Timmikid

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I feel sorry for anyone who buys the first one. Some people throw around that term "Near Mint" so loosely that it means almost nothing.

Since their "Near Mint" actually means VG, what do they call it when they have a real NM? "MINT"? "MINT+"? And if they ever get a Mint LP, do they call it "DOUBLEMINT"?

Seller has pretty good feedback and probably a liberal return policy. I doubt most collectors would bid if they didn't have the option to return. I don't know this seller so I would sure ask questions. Of the sellers I have dealt with, all have return policies and all grade very fairly. Ya just have to know who you're dealing with. Those prices are out of my league anyway.

I am away for a almost a whole week and I drop back in and find the Parrot is screeching again, butting his beak into subjects he knows NOTHING about! Blue Note 1568 is the RAREST of all Blue Note titles--there was only ONE pressing of 500 including promos. The record is valuable because of its RARITY--you can buy a nice Japanese or Classic Records pressing for less than $30 and have a grand old time getting into the session. A Blue Note COLLECTOR will pay an astronomical amount of money for this title! If the record is TRULY Near Mint and has the "New York 23" variant on the side 2 label, 1568 will bring $3500 or so on the open market. Most of the 500 copies have the standard "47 W. 63rd" label on BOTH sides and this version sells for about 25% less. I know that I paid $1300 for the "New York 23" version over ten years ago and was HAPPY to pay it! If you feel "sorry" for us it's only becuase you are out of touch with Blue Note collecting. What might very well seem to be a waste of money to YOU is NOT for us. And your attacking us for pursuing a passion that is not one that YOU happen to enjoy is not only mean spirited and cruel but also shows a shocking level of ignorance on your part.

And on another note, Eucild Records in St. Louis is one of the most RESPECTED and HONORABLE dealers of rare jazz titles in the world. They are very, VERY conservative in their ratings and I know this from YEARS of dealing with them. You, on the other hand, are just popping off AGAIN without ANY related experience. Amazing.

Again you have proven what a FLAMING a$$hole you are.

----------------

On 9/21/2004 5:54:17 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I am away for a almost a whole week and I drop back in and find the Parrot is screeching again, butting his beak into subjects he knows NOTHING about! Blue Note 1568 is the RAREST of all Blue Note titles--there was only ONE pressing of 500 including promos. The record is valuable because of its RARITY--you can buy a nice Japanese or Classic Records pressing for less than $30 and have a grand old time getting into the session. A Blue Note COLLECTOR will pay an astronomical amount of money for this title! If the record is TRULY Near Mint and has the "New York 23" variant on the side 2 label, 1568 will bring $3500 or so on the open market. Most of the 500 copies have the standard "47 W. 63rd" label on BOTH sides and this version sells for about 25% less. I know that I paid $1300 for the "New York 23" version over ten years ago and was HAPPY to pay it! If you feel "sorry" for us it's only becuase you are out of touch with Blue Note collecting. What might very well seem to be a waste of money to YOU is NOT for us. And your attacking us for pursuing a passion that is not one that YOU happen to enjoy is not only mean spirited and cruel but also shows a shocking level of ignorance on your part.

And on another note, Eucild Records in St. Louis is one of the most RESPECTED and HONORABLE dealers of rare jazz titles in the world. They are very, VERY conservative in their ratings and I know this from YEARS of dealing with them. You, on the other hand, are just popping off AGAIN without ANY related experience. Amazing.

Again you have proven what a FLAMING a$$hole you are.
----------------

I'll second that emotion!

Klipsch out.

The pressing of 1557 (A GREAT RECORD with the ORIGINAL version of "I Remember Clifford") you have is from the early 1970's soon after UA bought out Liberty Records. At that time they reissued many of the "1500" series titles for the Japanese market. Many of the unsold copies were dumped on the US market in about 1974-75 as "cut-outs" (your copy most likely has a clipped corner). These are pretty nice pressings and generally sell for between $15 and $30 depending on condition and the particular title.

An orignal pressing with the "New York 23" labels in NM condition sells for about $900-$1200.

Example of "New York 23" type label:

9e_1.JPG

Allan, I hope you don't expect us to believe that you just happened to pop in and just happened to see my post. What happened to your melodramatic exit plans? Rather short-lived, weren't they?

Anyway, it's clear from your behavior, as referenced in a recent thread, that you overgrade something fierce, and use the term NM with a reckless disregard for the truth. That is the issue, not that a collector may feel that a record is worth $1000 or $1,000,000. I am not surprised by your name-calling temper tantrum, nor that it would be echoed by another poseur.

I'm glad you enjoy reading your little "New York 23." Doesn't take much to entertain you, does it?

Paul - This topic obviously doesn't interest you as it does many of us here. It so happens that knowing the difference between originals and any of the many different reissues has a huge impact on sound quality in addition to value. We actually do play these lps. Even the ones worth more than $15 - $30. Much of what I know about jazz lps and how to determine their value so as not to get ripped off is because of Allan's guidance. Why you find it neccessary to start a flame just for the fun of it is beyond me.

Paul, these guys at Euclid are good guys. I happened across one of the albums Allan was looking for there, and I got tagged as a Blue Note collector. Went back again, and the guy I sold a C22 was there, then another trip I ran into one of the stereo store managers, and last week one of my best college buds was there.

They want me to come over Saturday when they spin this album, but we will be out of town. Gotta attend my favorite cousin's wediing in Chicago, so it'll be a fun time. Maybe you should look at your Don Quixote stance on some of these threads, and curtail your jousts to real interests. Somehow I have a feeling you give a sheet about jazz, and not a single quark in your house would chane rotation however the world of jazz marches on2.gif

There is not ONE person on this board who has actually RECEIVED record from me that has EVER said that I over-graded anything. 100% satisfaction! And even the Sonny Rollins record that you are alluding to was called "NEAR MINT" by the man who BOUGHT it.

Paul Parrot is the worst sort of a$$hole and not worthy of anyone's attention other than to perhaps make fun of him. I certainly enjoy pointing out what a COMPETE worthless peice of sh!t he is and I know MANY of you concur! What fun!

----------------

On 9/21/2004 8:53:56 PM Allan Songer wrote:

There is not ONE person on this board who has actually RECEIVED record from me that has EVER said that I over-graded anything. 100% satisfaction! And even the Sonny Rollins record that you are alluding to was called "NEAR MINT" by the man who BOUGHT it.

Paul Parrot is the worst sort of a$$hole and not worthy of anyone's attention other than to perhaps make fun of him. I certainly enjoy pointing out what a COMPETE worthless peice of sh!t he is and I know MANY of you concur! What fun!
----------------

On the other hand you are a class act. LOL!

The thread I was referring to lays out your overgrading very clearly. Even so, you could have fooled some people into trusting you if you had said you made a mistake, but instead you persisted in saying it was Near Mint, when it obviously wasn't. I can only draw from this that when you called it NM you were deliberately lying. Unless by "near" you mean it relatively, as in the moon is near to the earth, as compared to the sun. Is that what Near Mint means in the Allan Songer Grading System?

----------------

On 9/21/2004 8:49:08 PM sheltie dave wrote:

Maybe you should look at your Don Quixote stance on some of these threads, and curtail your jousts to real interests. Somehow I have a feeling you give a sheet about jazz, and not a single quark in your house would chane rotation however the world of jazz marches on
2.gif
----------------

Sheltie,

While it's true I would fall asleep spinning one of these boring records, I do have a normal human interest in the truth and in protecting buyers from sellers who overgrade.