Michigan Horn and Tube meeting October 2

Audio Flynn

Picky

I am in Saltillo south of Monterry.

GM stuff for new model next year.

Whell

Anuversery stuff is very tricky.

I will be availaible if things work out.

I am taking friday off to remove an old bathtub in the house.

If grandma falls through I have 2 in house babysitters 13 and 16.

Suggest Ernestos in Plymouth for Italian, a favotie birthday and aniversery destination for Mrs, Flynn.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys - looks like the RF-7's will be joining the party. Rick, I'll PM you with my phone number so we can figure out the logistics.

BTW, thanks for the restaurant suggestions. Ernesto's has seen us several times in recent years for previous aniversaries, and is an old stand by for us, too. Not quite the same since Chef Ernie passed away a few years ago, but a old favorite none the less.

We're actually going to head for La Dolce Vita in Detroit. It has great food, and the "right" atmosphere for a romanitic evening. Pretty good jazz vocalist performing that night as well.

Breif update:

It apears WHELL will be able to bring his RF-7s.

VRDs and my Scotts for amps.

Shape indicated he may bring his tube cd player.

We can do the SACD vs vinyl of Heavy Weather by Weather Report that Craig and I have done in the past.

That seems complicated enough.

Inventory of Monte Cristo no. 4 cigars stands at 5.

One each reserved for Craig, WHell and Shape. That leaves 2 for the first 2 posters that post their attendance; I already smoked one this week.

clarifications

1. this is not a formal club or private meeting; all are welcome for 20 minutes or 20 hours. I have a camper to stick you in if you are tired or anoying or both.

2. Newbies are most apreciated in attending; it balances out the opinionated.

3. You get the opinated out from behind their keyboards and they are quite nice people.

4. Fall cookouts are nice with local meats: Flynn's are used to feeding family hordes; my burgers and dogs are the finest. I already ate all the steaks from my cow. Beverages are of individual taste; I am supplying Molson Canadian light

5. It is all about enjoying music. Not listening to 2 songs on 58 hardware configurations. I will have a real piano, snare, high hat and other assorted instruments (kids may not want to play of course) to reference real instruments.

6. Bring your best mastered software you enjoy for evaluations; I listen to mine all of the time. I did by the new Harry Potter soundtrack and will feel the need to play J Geils Band "Blow Your Face Out" on Vinyl through the VRDs at some point in the day.

7. THis is a non scripted event and not sponsored by Klipsch. I did not feel I could ask for a free pair of speakers or did I deserve to.

5 year loan of K Horns for a review sample would be nice though.

i hope this dispels any concern this is some tight butt, hoighty toighty affair.

E mail me for directions and leave your phone number at flynnnstr@ aol.com

----------------

On 9/30/2004 7:25:24 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

Breif update:

It apears WHELL will be able to bring his RF-7s.

VRDs and my Scotts for amps.

Shape indicated he may bring his tube cd player.

We can do the SACD vs vinyl of Heavy Weather by Weather Report that Craig and I have done in the past.

That seems complicated enough.

Inventory of Monte Cristo no. 4 cigars stands at 5.

One each reserved for Craig, WHell and Shape. That leaves 2 for the first 2 posters that post their attendance; I already smoked one this week.

----------------

Since I am a tobacco lightweight, I will offer my Monte Cristo to another attendee who can truly approciate it.

9.gif

A Cuban is a very strong adult experience. Like Scotch or fine Tequila; but it should be tried sometime.

I actually got them for free.

A French friend of mine had another friend vacation in cuba recently and brought them to mexico.

A rough week but I am ready for tommorow.

Any late deciding participants e mail me for directions.

For those not able to attend, you missed some great tunes played on some great gear. We were a small, but mighty, group, and it was a great time.

Each of us brought gear to share - NOS Valves brought his tube amps, a Sony 333 ES SACD, and a Juicy Music pre. Shapeshifter brought his Heresies, and an awesome Jolida tube CD player. Our host had his Choruses, turntable, DAC and Upsampler, and as I was leaving, he and Craig were pulling out the vintage Scott tube gear. And thanks to our host for helping me haul over my RF-7's.

I have to say that my RF-7's have never sounded that good in my house! Craig's amps are worth every penny of whatever he charges for them! I have to think that the Juicy Music pre also played a significant role in the purity of the sound. Great stuff!

Thanks for Flynn for hosting, and it was great seeing everyone!

We indeed had an intimate opportunity to listen to some good music on some excellent gear. I was extremely impressed with the RF-7's, Craig's VRD Amps and the Blueberry Preamp. With the addition and warm up of the Jolida Tube CD, we all were pleasantly surprised at how well these components worked together. If there is such a thing as a match made in heaven, we heard it yesterday; a seamlessly liquid sound. The Heresy twins were later added with similar results, but less low end punch. I'll let Flynn and Craig give their impressions of the Heresy pair.

It was a pleasure to meet, great, and talk to everyone, and hope we do it again in the very near future. As a bonus, I left with a note to buy two titles played by Flynn.

Many thanks to our excellent host Flynn!! Craig...very impressive AMPS and the Blueberry too. Whell...thanks for bringing those wonderful RF-7's.

Wes

I've attended about a 1/2 dozen meetings so far and I'll have to say this meeting was the most enjoyable to me. We actually listened to music without constant changes in gear. The head count was small so we actually could get to know one another.

I was floored by the smootness of the RF-7 and they also have a really nice bottom end (I'm sure Dean will rub this in), The clarity of the Jolida CD player (I've never been floored by any Jolida amp but the CD player is a true hit). The Heresy's did surprisingly well once they were playing for a few tracks you forgot the lower bass deminished and enjoyed the great snappy detailed mids and highs that only Klipsch Heritage seem to offer.

Craig

As a bonus, I left with a note to buy two titles played by Flynn.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

One is a new one

Ben Harper with the Blind Boys of Alabama; great blues with a gospel tinge

other has been around a while

Songbirds; a compilation of female vaocaists, very good to hear different ladies, several with a CEltic style, very easy to listen to

Impressions in chronological order

-Fun to have a small group listening session

-best I ever heard the RF-7s sound; thanks to Mike Whell for the hassle of transporting them and fear of nicks

-James Taylor JT on SACD was amazing with VRDs and RF-7; I listened to that LP constantly in the first few years of its origoanl release

-Jolida CD player; WOW: there is a depth and presence to this player my upsampling DAC just does not come close to Wes says he like it better than his previuosly used AH! Toeb. Never heard a CD player for under $ 1000 sound even close to this level

-Personal impression; we did the SACD to LP comnparrison on my TT with the Grado Gold; I will let the other guys comment on this.

Last time we did it it was with an MMF 7 with the stock cartridge; it is far better than the grado GOld, I still like the Grado but will need to buy a $ 400-500 cart next year to see where that takes me.

-HERESEYs

These are still an underestimated speaker in my opinion. Not the Low bass under 50 hz the RF-7 or Chorus II can hit but man are they musical. How they reproduce 50 -200 hz is a very excellent implementation by Klipsch.

Wes light walnut laquer cabinets are just an awesome piece of furniture.

-Foreplay "elixer" was a test disck by Wes that was 10 years old but a very good demo disc with guest vocalists

It does its job so well I almost forgot

BLUEBERRY

Just sits in the middle of the signal path and does its job so well you forget it was there.

BB seems to like the Jolida CD payer allot. Never been overwhelmed by the sound of Jolida amps but I am overwhellmed by the CD player.

Another almost forgot...

Mike Whell's Special edition Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon EMI vinyl Lp / Grado Gold /BlueBerry/ VRD setup was a very inspired replay of this classic.

I am not sure what speakers were playing at the time I was having so much fun.

Mike;

Please let me know exactly what version that was so i can put it on my Christmas list.

"-Personal impression; we did the SACD to LP comnparrison on my TT with the Grado Gold; I will let the other guys comment on this."

This was done with the RF-7's. It's an extremely difficult call for me, because we didn't have a way to sync the volume levels when switching between both sources. I lean toward the LP, but that could be because I'm biased toward vinyl. I was also keenly aware of the switch between sources due to a slight, but noticeable, increase in volume when the switch from TT to SACD was made. Both sources were VERY good; Think that's a real testament to the excellence of VRD's, Blueberry and RF-7's.

Synchronizing the output levels from both sources, so the volumes are the same, is key for an adequate comparison.