Elevating Khorns???

oscarsear

Set up new system and all is quite well. However, I have a floor heat register located under one of my Khorns. You never can truly shut off one of those things and I'm concerned about the long term consequences. I'm considering lifting both speaks in-situ by placing them on three 8 inch granite spheres. ???--GOOD--BAD--INDIFFERENT--???

what kind of fool would build a house with a heat register where the Klipschorns go???!!!2.gif

The spheres would not be a good idea. The Khorn couples to the floor as well as the back wall to form the trihederal bass horn.

Can you cut a piece of plywood and put it under the Khorn? I believe that would work better sonically. Of course it will block off that register.

Rick

At worst, it would lose a little bit of bass on the low end. I would block off the register, and plunk the K-horns onto the floor where they belong. Besides, ever try balancing something that weighs 167 pounds on round objects? Sounds like a potential for a flat foot, besides how woul you place it ontop? It is not like you can give a K-horn a bearhug and set it ontop. Grabbing it from the sides is a surefire way to wreck the side grills.

IF you decide to raise the Khorns, you'll have to do both, and create a base that serves as a plenum, which must be metal-lined. I'd insulate it from the Khorn, too, as the heat could really dry it out.

Honestly, moving the register will probably be the least hassle all around. Are you mechanically inclined?

Simple to block off the register,,,,take off the grill ,,,fill it with fiber glass or foam,,,cut a piece of plywood same size as hole place over hole,,,your done,,,nothing to it,,,,,or just take grill off glue plastic over the opening or grill replace it,,,,nothing to it really,,,Rick

I doubt that it produces enough HOT air to have a local effect on the wood of a Khorn. Blocking it off is a good idea as it is a waste to pay money to heat up a Khorn for no reason...although if that is the only heat into the room, then that decision may prove to be quite chilling...

DM2.gif