anyone here into bicycling (distance and speed)?

tpg

I'm taking it easy riding my new Redline MonoNine (9-speed) cruising the state parks with my wife on her three wheel trike. Too bad she never learned to ride a two wheeler, I have teased her mom about not teaching her to ride. About time to pull off the wide offroad tires and go with something that rolls a tad bit smoother. I'm yet to hook up with my retired neighbor who rides around downtown Indy every morning, he has a Gary Fisher mendota.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely been riding. Went to my second RAGBRAI this year and because it was a relatively flat route I took the xtracycle with the guitar in tow. That was a fun ride. The sign on the case says, 'do you play? Play me a tune please!" 7 players played music for me, and 1 of them was serious good!

Picture571.jpg

After I got back I got this bike, a recumbent Bacchetta Corsa. Me waiting on a train

Corsa009.jpg

Much fun. I've had it a tad over 4 weeks now and have just under 900 miles on it. Then again, I'm a riding fool. [:)]

oh, while I was in Iowa, I saw these in a bar in Cedar Falls... the picture is by one of my riding buds, who put in the caption, the guy in the picture is the one who organized the RABGRAI trip from Western Kentucky University.

Picture112.jpg

There were also a couple of Heresy II's in there as well.

woo

Suprisingly, I have not gone through a bunch of tires, so I'm not much of a tire expert. I tend to replace them when they get worn and typically use what's available at the local shop and what the wrench there suggests. I suppose if I were a racerboy it would make a difference, but I'm not. or if the roads around here were bad, but they are superb roads for the most part and really really easy on tires.

That being said, on my xtracycle I have Kenda 26x1.5. I'll probably have to replace them more often as I regularly haul 100 pound loads with it (groceries, lawn mowers, beer, dog food, book cartons, guitars, etc.). The Bacchetta recumbent has Kenda Caliente's 650x23 (I think... that's what came with it when I bought it used... no threads poking through yet). On my 1985 steel bike I have Bell tires 27x1 1/4 (bought from Wal Mart - that supplier of high end bike tires). On the Slipstream bike 700x40 whatevers... they have been on the bike since I bought it used from a fellow 3 years ago (it's the rainy day bike - used it today.. finally some rain!).

On the Lemond Zurich (bless it's neglected soul) I have Specialized something or others... the bike shop replaced it for me after pointing out that threads were starting to poke through.

I'm not nearly as 'blingy' with the bikes as I am with the sound systems I have. [:)]

woo

I just ride for the fun of it about ten or fifteen miles a few times a week to run errands and just explore the countryside, plus the occasional long rides with bike clubs in the area.

I have a red 17 year old steel frame Centurian racer with thin high pressure German brown wall tires, magnesium rims with 36 spokes, magnesium crank, old fasioned horizontal top tube, 14 speeds click shifted from the down tube, side pull brakes, tiny black seat set up high about four inches above the handle bars, and little pedals that clip into the soles of my shoes.

Recently the handlebar stem bolt stripped so I replaced it with a modern lighter one. A few years back I had to replace the steel handlebar because it was corroding under the wraps - replaced it with a very light one (black magnesium?). The bike is tight, light (18 lbs), looks like new, and the steel frame rides like a dream. I have ridden from Houston to Austin (180 miles) twice without so much as a flat. Great bike that I bought new just as the mountain bike craze was starting up and all the shops where unloading their racers - I paid less than $300 for it new back then. Have you checked the price of a steel frame bike lately? I'll keep this one!

After college i rode a World Voyageur, but that was last century. Earlier this summer I test rode Trek, Scott and Lemond . . . . eventually getting the Lemond Zurich, carbon fiber, Ultegra group, Shimano pedals . . . . . and some revealing spandex to amuse those on the side of the road. Have a variety of routes 12, 15 and 18 miles that we bounce back and forth on to change the topography and views. Not ready for the Tour yet, but enjoying pedaling my butt around town! not too bad for an old fart, even if i do say so myself.

my son-in-law raced professionally (he recently retired from racing to spend more time at home). he raced mostly in the usa; with occassional races abroad. i think he said one of the biggest races was in Philadelphia, another in georgia. i enjoyed going to watch him at the san francisco grand prix--i am still amazed that these guys can peddle up those steep hills. he rode his bike several hundred miles a week in training. he told me once--you go to the office because that is your job; racing is my job so each day i must spend seven hours training. sometimes i wonder if pushing yourself to the extent that he did could be counter-productive? but he's in great physical shape with virtually no body fat and i'm a different story.

I did a similar ledge crawl with my Brother a few years ago in the Downieville area of the Tahoe National Forest in northern California.

Narrow cliff trail (~2' wide) with a straight drop ~200 feet down to a boulder strewn stream bed. My Brother claims he rode it. I was too far back, hugging the cliff side with my body while creeping along with the bike on the outside, to see whether he did or not. I, sure as hell, did NOT ride it. Probably one of the scariest things I've ever done. It was a ride (hike dragging my bike) that I survived rather than enjoyed. When we got back to the hotel that night I was totally knackered.

James