6sn7

AnalOg

Hey all,

My best sounding preamp tubes, RCA vt-231 are also my most microphonic. They actually create feed back noise like a mic close to an amp. I've rolled Sylvania's, Tung-sol, EH, yet nothing that sounds as musical & tonally balanced as the RCA's.

Any recs or sellers of something comparable to the RCA vt-231?

I know Dean in the past has mentioned a few of his favorites.

Thankx,

Tom

I just had this issue with my preamp. The sovtek 6sn7's for lack of a technical term lost their mind. I could tap on the floor or tap on the preamp and it would come through the belle's. I replaced the sovteks with sylvanias and no problem so far dead quiet.

I once owned a tube-amp with 6Sn7s and indeed, many of the tubes I tried were microphonic.

What worked for me, were Herbie's tube dampers. Made a big difference. There are now many knock-offs available that actually cost more, but probably don't do much better.

As for tubes, i rolled quite a few, and had a rare Sylvania 1942 one. But you know, the one that sounded "the best" to me was a 1959 Hitachi. Extremly rare and hard to find, but cheap, because no one really thinks much of Japanese tubes. But in my humble experience this one sounded the best: quieter, tightest bass, clear midrange. If you can find one, they typically go for $10. A lot, cheaper than some of the exotics out there.

BUT start by isolating a bit the preamp itself from vibration. any number of feet or platforms can help with that. then you can move into tube socks and finally tube rolling to vibration insensitive tubes. by doing things in that order you give yourself the best chance of using your favorite sounding tubes (the vt-231). tony

IT WORKED!!

I put vibrapods under the feet of the Rogue and whatta ya know, much better. I don't experience that howling any longer, the only microphonics I expereience is tapping sound I hear when I'm switching from one input to another or if I tap on the body of the pre itself. I'll listen for a while and change out with other tubes for comparison. Sometimes the answer is right infront of you but ya can't see it. Thanks for the flash light guys.

Tom

----------------

On 10/1/2004 8:53:34 AM rf3iicrazy wrote:

IT WORKED!!

I put vibrapods under the feet of the Rogue and whatta ya know, much better. I don't experience that howling any longer, the only microphonics I expereience is tapping sound I hear when I'm switching from one input to another or if I tap on the body of the pre itself. I'll listen for a while and change out with other tubes for comparison. Sometimes the answer is right infront of you but ya can't see it. Thanks for the flash light guys.

Tom

----------------

Shouldn't preamps be silent? Try another set of 6sn7's just for the hell of it and I bet you don't even hear the tap tap tap on the preamp.

----------------

On 10/1/2004 9:58:59 AM seti wrote:

----------------

On 10/1/2004 8:53:34 AM rf3iicrazy wrote:

IT WORKED!!

Tom

----------------

Shouldn't preamps be silent? Try another set of 6sn7's just for the hell of it and I bet you don't even hear the tap tap tap on the preamp.

----------------

Yes, with the other tubes mentioned in the first post it is silent when tapping, but those tubes are not as musical and tonally balanced as the RCA's. I'll accept the trade off for now, until I find a better replacement.

Tom

----------------

Yes, with the other tubes mentioned in the first post it is silent when tapping, but those tubes are not as musical and tonally balanced as the RCA's. I'll accept the trade off for now, until I find a better replacement.

Tom

----------------

I see.... I think I'll pick up some vibrapods and dampeners for my pre and give those other 6sn7's another shot.