Anyone else watch television last night?

Allan Songer

----------------

On 10/1/2004 9:27:24 PM 3dzapper wrote:

The best debate ever was Hamilton v Burr.
1.gif

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/hb1.jpg" border="0">

Rick

----------------

Good Idea but let's update it.

Colt 45's at 10 paces...One of them has already killed with a Colt 45 while the other played FlyBoy.

----------------

On 10/2/2004 11:19:30 PM jonwolfe wrote:

----------------

On 10/1/2004 9:27:24 PM 3dzapper wrote:

The best debate ever was Hamilton v Burr.
1.gif

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/hb1.jpg" border="0">

Rick

----------------

Good Idea but let's update it.

Colt 45's at 10 paces...One of them has already killed with a Colt 45 while the other played FlyBoy.

----------------

Uhm.....I need an explanation on this one. Please?

My subjective listening evaluation......

First, I like "commercial free"......with exception for the actual content contained therein (a long "advertisement" in any case).

"I thought the center channel was too laid back."

The center channel was more forward than I anticipated. I had my pre-pro adjusted to turn up the center, and had to back off just a bit. All in all, better than expected. It is worth noting, however, that the center channel did have an overall "limiter" or "governor" controlling maximum volume and signal-to-noise ratio.

"Unless the center channel has a higher pressure level, its difficult to compare the right and left speakers."

No such issue here. The center should not overwhelm, just be the anchor for the rest of the action. Could have been better, but overall, not bad.

"The right speaker is much brighter than the left but last night I didnt really hear that."

The manufacturer's specifications seem to express this, but in practice, I found just the opposite to be true.

The right speaker was advertised as being the preferred model in a full range speaker, but I found it to be too shrill and distorted, and possessing too much of a "see through" quality. The imaging on this model was not lifelike at all - the advertising certainly didn't match the hype.

I also suspect that the right speaker has the more raspy sounding drivers.....maybe a retrofit with alnico and oil capped crossovers would be applicable here.

I also began experiencing a problem in the right speaker......whenever the sound panned to the right, the program began skipping. I kept hearing the same phrases over and over. I called my cable company and local station and was told that was normal. I even took my prepro into the service department and found no issues there. It has been normally functioning ever since.

"The left speaker was a little harsh at times and wasnt very clear or revealing and there was a significant lack of depth."

You were definitely having issues with your processor, or your method of listening.

This particular section of program material is intended to be listened to and paid attention to....not just for 15-30 seconds at a time. There most certainly are instances where one may listen to certain material as background music, but this is not one of those times. To get the full benefits of the left speaker, I found it best to pay attention to ALL of the program material - then the true attributes of the left speaker could be appreciated. Also of note, no equalization was necessary here. There was much detail emanating from the left speaker.....which was a pleasant surprise.

Not perfect by any means.......but I could certainly live with it.

"Overall, both seemed pretty accurate for this type of speaker."

I preferred the left - at least to a degree that I could live with it. If it ends up that the only option is to accept the model tested at right, serious modifications will be necessary.

"Maybe next time with different surrounds there will be a bigger difference in the two main speakers."

Doubtful, but one never knows. So long as they are being driven by the same amplification, I'm not expecting too many changes (barring surprise equipment trouble). I don't expect much change in the sound by swapping centers.

I'll keep listening and evaluating.....but you know what folks say about first impressions. Once my first impression is formed, the onus of proof will fall on the other model. Having had some experience with the right speaker previously as a main, I feel I know it's characteristics much better - and can thus pick apart the differences more readily. I've been ready for an upgrade.

I had a strange experience with the speakers the other night also.My right speaker was cuttin' in and out but had a very consistant signal.My left was flip-floppin'waivering and waffleing but sounded better to the untrained ear.

-----------------------------------------------

On 10/1/2004 2:54:30 PM Allan Songer Wrote:

"I did--for about an hour and a half. Haven't enjoyed TV this much in a long time. 12.gif "

-----------------------------------------------

Yeah, 'Survivor' is pretty good isn't it? But, I miss Rupert! 9.gif

uncle sam.png