Juicy ad in the paper today

D0N

speakers & stereo equipment, incl Fisher 400 receiver, Altec, Wharfedale, Jensen Coaxial, Coberelex, Univ horn, Wolverine speakers, $150 B/O

I'm picturing a pile of speaker components on the floor with a dusty fisher 400 on a table ... or ... maybe a mint pair of altec valencias and a perfect fisher 400 with case?

I just contacted the guy. He said it was all inherited from his father who was a stereo nut.

The Altecs are in they're original cabinets. I'm super curious about what model they are... he wasn't sure. He said he's got a bunch of other stuff too! 6.gif

The fisher 400 may be just the thing for my khorns.

I love these kinds of finds.

Somebody pinch me! I just picked up the stereo gear. I walk in his cellar and see a pair of Altec Valencias, a pair of warfedale w70d's, a pair of NOS EV T35's w/xovers, a single NOS 15" Jensen coaxial, Pair of NOS EV wolverine 3 ways, sony ps4300 TT, Empire TT, Fisher 400 and a bunch of other goodies! 6.gif

Looking the stuff over I realized there's only one EV T35. Its a kit in the original boxes ...has the crossover and dial etc. It's the polished metal face with a white back and the x over is white also. Kinda sexy to look at. :)

The warfedales are in nice condition. I think they're walnut. They strike me as being very very well made.

The valencia risers are really punky... falling apart actually. They must have gotten wet in a cellar flooding or something.14.gifThe boxes and tops are solid and in nice shape though. The wood lattice grills are unbroken. I'll take the backs off tomorrow and see which drivers are inside.

These warfedale w70d's are awesome! I was listening to them outside on the patio while I cleaned them. They sound great! I'm going to bring them inside & do some a/b tests against my Khorns today.

4188PA140020.JPG?8655

The Altecs sounded like Altecs. 14.gif I don't care for the honky blatting sound from the Altec horns and the bass always seems to be less than what I'd expect a 15" woofer to be capable of. I've owned a bunch of Altecs and they all seem to sound similar.

4188PA140008.JPG?5214

My room is too small for a vintage 2 channel system AND a 5 channel HT system. So, I sold all the vintage gear (except for the Thorens TT) and bought a Sony (GASP!)9.gif 7.1 110wpc receiver. It has a decent 2 channel mode but I'm unable to play LPs because the phono section is so bad sounding.

There's always tradeoffs with stereo gear. Right now I'm relatively happy with my HT system but I do miss the vintage gear... Especially the LPs.

Of all the amps I used to power the khorns I have to say that a fisher sa300 sounded best... a close second was hafler dh500 and then probably the adcom gfa555. I'll admit it now... the 600w dyna-twins actually sounded the worst!1.gif Go figure. 10.gif

The empire tt is pretty nice but I know nothing about it yet. I plugged it in at it appears to hold a constant rpm. The stylus is bent so I haven't tried playing anything on it. It's a nice looking piece. The tone arm is made of wood. Here's a pic of it.

4188PA140001.JPG?4872

Hi:

Looking for some info here for myself.

Last week I picked up a pair of Altecs that look just like yours.

Mine have no model numbers on them; there were labels, but no longer

I understood the ones I have are Flamencos, but they look just like your Valencias.

My question:

How did you determine yours are Valencias; are they labeled?

Thanks

Dan

post-10690-13819258215024_thumb.jpg

Dan mine have a label about 4"x4" on the backs of each speaker. They don't say the model number but they do say valencia.

I did some internet research on the speakers and found the model number is 846A. It's the earlier version of the dual ported, better sounding 846B.

You should be able to verify your model by the dimensions. Yours appear to be taller and narrower than the 846a. I know the 846B is 30" tall X 26 3/4" wide X 19 1/2" deep. My cabinets are already gone or I would measure them for you. The Altec site has most of that info on each model.

Too bad your grills are so busted up. What are you going to do with the speakers?