So, what's the concensus for best Reference 2-channel speaker rig?

jdm56

I know the presumed automatic answer would be a pair of RF-7's. But I have a little trouble with the concept of two 10" woofers covering the midrange too. It seems to me a pair of RB-75's with a good sub or two (klipsch of course; they are the only company that makes "good" ones, aren't they?2.gif) might actually be a better all-around peformer. And what about a pair of RC-7's? Let's not forget that possibility.

So which is it, y'all?

jdm56 ,

Good points - money wise- the RF 7's are about + or - 1,400 pair. the RB 75's retail for about 1,200.00 a pair + subwoofer costs...and the price of good stands (100.00)......and lastly looking at the RC 7's; they retail for about 1,600 a pair and again subwoofer costs..and stands......

So looking at this - the RF 7's have the Bass you'd need, plus you wouldn't have to have a subwoofer-unless you really need one..........

I'd say go with RF7's.........and be done with it!

I started with two RB-5s and a Boston PV-1000 subwoofer. I was using an Anthem tubed preamp and a Luxman 200wpc amplifier with the setup. I then traded in the RB-5s on a pair of RC-7s, and bought a Klipsch LF-10 (which I never had a problem with). I dumped the Luxman, and went to a 40wpc EL-34 based tube amp. This was a major step up in quality of sound. BTW, the RC-7s kick some serious *** in two channel configuration.

I then traded the RC-7s in on some RF-7s, and eventually dumped the sub -- and started experimenting with different types of tube amps. I found out that by moving the RF-7s back into the corner a little, and not running the full signal through the high pass of the sub -- the sound was cleaner and more coherent. For most of my music, I just didn't think the sub was really adding anything I thought helped the whole deal. The RF-7s have plenty of bass, you just have to be patient and work with placement. Looking back on it -- the sub worked great with the RB-5s and RC-7s -- but just didn't get it with the RF-7s. I can't say why exactly.

The huge advantage of going with the RF-7s is their high sensitivity, which allows you to go with higher quality, lowered powered units. By lowered power -- I'm talking 20 to 60 watts of good tube sound. Where you end up has mostly to do with the size of your room, and how loud use usually listen. A few here even run them with 3 1/2 watts of triode tube power.

I'll echo what Dean says...The RF-7s sound great with higher quality amps. I currently use a pair of 3.5 watt Bottlehead Paramour SET or a Scott 299B (about 30 watts) and they both are significantly better than the sound I would get from my Yamaha RX-V1400 (which I use for Home Theater). The RF-7s continue to amaze me as I upgrade my gear in ways my Heritage speakers never did. I've also found I haven't needed my subs for any bass reinforcement. Just my two cents...

Regards,

Dave

I just replaced the Adcom 535 that was driving my RF-7's with the Tripath based Carver Pro ZR 1600 digital amp. My initial impression of the combo is that I am absolutely stunned at what the RF-7's are now capable of when being driven by this amp. I'm tempted to write a review and post it here, but my writing skills aren't the greatest, and I don't know if I could fully convey in words how much of a stunner this combo is, and just how much of a jump forward in sound quality this change has produced.

The RF-7's are fully capable of making your jaw drop when fed with the right amp.

My RF-7s sound great driven by any of my 3 amps. My experience with a subwoofer is similar to what Dean mentioned. If I want the real low frequencies (a few of the lowest notes on pipe organ recordings, for example) then the sub works, but there is some tradeoff in clarity, so I wouldn't want to be forced to use a sub all the time because the mains don't even reach 40Hz (lowest notes on a 4 string bass).

The RF-7s have no trouble reproducing the sound of any instrument you can fit in a minivan, which covers just about all of them.

Leo

I own all three. My ranking: 1) RF-7s; 2) RC-7s with sub; 3) RB-75s with sub. I echo what the others have said about quality amplification being necessary with the RF-7s. If you run nice tube or SS separates (or tube integrated), the RF-7s are my first choice. Despite their 10 inch woofers, they handle midrange nicely when run with quality preamps and amps. Their imaging and detail also improves with mods such as Dean's crossover mod2.gif. With the right amplification, the RF-7s can take your breath away. I also echo Dean's comments about subs with RF-7s. Not necessary for most songs if you place the RF-7s properly. That being said, sometimes I run a sub with my RF-7s on some songs anyway (harder rock) to achieve more "impact."

However, if one planned on running the speakers off of a receiver; 1) RC-7s and 2) RB-75s (and a nice sub) would be my choice before RF-7s. So, depends on what the customer planned on running for source/amplification.

Carl.

----------------

On 10/16/2004 9:08:55 AM whell wrote:

I just replaced the Adcom 535 that was driving my RF-7's with the Tripath based Carver Pro ZR 1600 digital amp. My initial impression of the combo is that I am absolutely stunned at what the RF-7's are now capable of when being driven by this amp. I'm tempted to write a review and post it here, but my writing skills aren't the greatest, and I don't know if I could fully convey in words how much of a stunner this combo is, and just how much of a jump forward in sound quality this change has produced.

The RF-7's are fully capable of making your jaw drop when fed with the right amp.

----------------

I think you've just written and stated very well what your impressions are of RF-7's performance. I was VERY impressed too, after hearing them paired with the Blueberry and VRD amps. A real bold statement for two-way speakers!

I guess I should have provided a bit more info. I am planning to power whatever I end up with, with a Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi A/V receiver, possibly bi-amping with 4 of the amps 7 channels. Other options include an 80Wx2 mos-fet Sony ES integrated, and a couple of Sony ES power amps I have lying around. They are TA-N55ES's, and are rated 110Wx2 @ 8 ohms, 150Wx2 @ 4 ohms, or 300Wx1 @8 ohms (brideged mono). So I have some flexibility, amp-wise, though I'm sure many would say they are all crap, being Sony and all. But that's what I've got.

I'm still unsure. I guess I will be until I can get out and hear them all for myself. There does seem to be a bit of a concensus in favor of the RF-7, though. Maybe my amplification is not up to snuff, though.

I am also looking at a couple of models from Polk. The RTi-12, and the LSi-9 with a sub. Am I allowed to say that still?11.gif So basically, It's RB-75's plus sub, RF-7's, or the Polks. That is the short list as of today, but I am keeping an open mind. I'm also checking Ebay and Audiogon. Ya never know what might turn up.

Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming!

With no doubt the best overall Reference line Klipsch speakers are the RF7's.These are almost full range,starting missing seriously only below 30Hz.

When powered by a high quality power amp these are smooth and not at all fatiguing.Plus they have a kind of slam you only get with very large speakers like Wilson MAXX or priced closer to reality the B&W 801!This for a slim $2200 is a bargain.

What the B&W 801's will have over the RF7's,if more refinement and better spatial reproduction of instruments ...as well as slightly less coloration.RF7's are outstanding buys at their full price.

I use ATI's 2505 power amp to drive my four RF7's,this brute of an amp is a top choice for HT use as well as a good choice for music.The best match I had was with the Celeste MOON W5,a new window of transparency was open,with finesse no Outlaw or ATI can deliver.Smooth sailing

Anyway RF7's are clearly the best R series speakers.If you have the room to position these well and get a quality power amp you will only need a subwoofer below 40Hz(I cut my RF7's at 40Hz).