False walls the answer to perfect Khorn placement?

D0N

I'm thinking about building a set if I can find those plans. Anyone have them?

1. Once built will I be able to basically place my speakers anywhere I want? The corners of the room won't matter anymore?

2. Will the false corners be the absolute best "speaker placement" for the khorns? Meaning, I'll never have to worry about placement again?

3. Will the false corners allow the khorns to reproduce sound at their fullest capacity so I won't have niggling thoughts of... "maybe if I got them in the corner a little tighter and sealed them better the bass would be the very best possible."

That combined with the tailboard seals and you should be set. Keep in mind that you can indeed place them and angle them as you like but with the false walls they are going to be big because the walls extend a few feet from the edge of each speaker so you will need a decent size room to put them in.

Many people here use false corners.

You don't need plans, just make them sturdy. Min. 2X4's 12" on center, covered with 3/4" plywood. Mine are 2X8's 10 or 12" on center and double 3/4" plywood. They are also built into the corner of the room and screwed to the walls.

Make them 48" out of each corner and at least as high as the bass horn. I think they look best when they are built to the height of the whole speaker.

Don,

Good solid house corners are best. Good solid false corners are a compromise, but may be the only reasonable solution depending on your room.

If I'm reading your question right, No, you can't just throw away all Klipsch advice on speaker placement simply because you use false corners. Even with false corners, you still should have the Klipschorns near to the room corners if possible, and along the same wall, and give them plenty of breathing room.

And if you do go the false corner route, it's good to build them with a base too.

I think a better false wall would be to lay 2 by 4s down interlocking them at the corner one over the other this would add mass to the wall and make it work better i think. You could then put wall board or paneling on it to finish it out only needs to be as high as bass bin to. Rick

I like Q-man's solution, but most going for false corners don't always have the room to accomodate massive structures. An alternative is simply to decouple from the walls, and couple the false corners to the Klipschorns themselves. My solution starts at the bottom of page two in the following thread.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&topicID=51654

false corners are a compromise solution, the four feet out from the corner rule allows sufficient termination of the bass horn flare (though I suspect "the more the merrier" apllies in this regard), the primary benefit derives from the toe-in and toe-out ability gained by decoupling them from the walls of the room, allowing you to place the sweet spot where you wish. warm regards, tony

There are many who compromise and use False Corners with VERY good results. Oftentimes spousal and decorative concerns prevent extensive modification or structural changes to ones listening area. If thats the case, build the most structurally sound False Corners you can and experiment extensively with your speakers placement, then select a setting that pleases YOUR ears the most.

Wish you the best.

Wes

I am seriously thinking of building non-permanent false corners due to the lousy acoustics of the paneling in my basement that eventaully be removed. Anyone know if it would be advantageous to use 3/4" plywood only, pushed into the paneled corners? Do I need to build the entire structure to really get the benefit of false corners? I'm not worried about the sweet spot. I'm trying to avoid putting the speakers any closer together than they already are.

Gary,

Your plan is fine. You'd be adding more solidity to your walls. Running in a few screws through the plywood and into the studs would be even better. It would still be easy to take down the plywood when you needed to eventually, just take out the screws. The holes would be trivial.

Thanks Paul. That's what I was thinking too.

Also, there is no insulation behind the wall. It's completely open on the other side. Any thoughts on foam panels or fiberglass to shove between the studs? Maybe close off the other side with something cheap? Like I said, it's only for a couple years until I tear it all down and start from scratch. I'd rather not spend much between now and then.

Yes, that is exactly what I would do. Put some regular home insulation between the studs, and then seal off the back with some 1/2" plywood or whatever, even something thinner and cheaper would be okay. You could get by with drywall, which is after all what most home walls are made of.

I have an extra sheet of drywall I bought just slightly damaged for $1.00 at Home Depot. It's yours free if you want to drive here to pick it up.

----------------

On 10/23/2004 8:30:26 PM paulparrot wrote:

Yes, that is exactly what I would do. Put some regular home insulation between the studs, and then seal off the back with some 1/2" plywood or whatever, even something thinner and cheaper would be okay. You could get by with drywall, which is after all what most home walls are made of.

I have an extra sheet of drywall I bought just slightly damaged for $1.00 at Home Depot. It's yours free if you want to drive here to pick it up.

----------------

I'll be right over.9.gif