RRRGH!!! RSW-15 just up and quits 2nd Sub to go out

bchild311

My RSW-15 will power on ok, I get the green light, but the sub isn't firing at all. Movies, music, nothing will make it drive. I checked the obvious things, fuse, amp settings etc and its still all good. Everything is in place to work and nothing. It was working the last time I watched a movie, hmmm last night, but nothing now. I'm pretty torqued. I've only had the sub for about a year now. The settings I have on it are set at Phase 0 degrees, LFE power on detected, and Low pass enabled. I also had a KSW-12 go out on me a few years back. It was doing the same thing. Power on but no drive. Sounds like its just hosed. I called the dealer I bought it from and they said to just bring it in because it will have a 5-year warranty on it. That's going to take days to get anything done with it going that route. Has anyone had this problem? Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for any help you can give.

If you are 100% positive the sub gets the signal from the pre/pro and still nothing.Sadly there could be a problem with the amp.

I have three RSW's and not one has ever gone sour,and I drive them hard at times.

Good luck with your RSW15

----------------

On 10/23/2004 10:15:38 PM bchild311 wrote:

That sub is a TANK.
16.gif

----------------

the wilson audio sub(the XS) is a tank it weighs 700 LBS

YA I KNOW ITS $18,000 .............and doesn't come with an amp.......

but the crossover is only $4500

jay

OK, so I take the crippled RSW-15 into my local Ultimate Electronics dealer here today. I was crossing my fingers and hoping for the best, but not expecting too much. I arrive with the sub all packaged in original packaging and head for the door. The sucker weighs over 85 lbs all packaged up and I bring it in with everyone in the store looking at me like, "What the?" I set the sub on the floor and wait for 3 minutes or so until some punk kid says, "Uh can I help you?" I tell them about my phone call to them on Sat and explain the problem with the sub. He cuts me off and says, "did you buy an extended warranty?" And I'm thinking, why would I do that when Klipsch has a 5year warranty on their subs? I tell him that and he says, "Sorry sir, our computers tell us that this sub only has a 1 year warranty so you'll have to deal with Klipsch yourself." And this was exactly why I called them on Sat and explained it all so I wouldn't have to drag the speaker in there and have them do this to me. I suggest to the clerk that he call the Klipsch rep for Ultimate and find out for sure. So he does and after about 5 min he gets the answer that he should've known. Yes Klipsch has a 5-yr warranty and yes they'll take care of the sub for me. Phew! ok glad we have that settled. After packaging up the sub, the clerk tells me he has to take the sub out of the box because they bubble-wrap the sub itself in shipping in case they lose a powercord or the grill. I find that odd, but whatever. So we unpack it and take care of the paperwork and get it all ready for shipping. Needless to say its just an unbearable experience to ever work with these guys and they are so far from professional with the way they handle things its just humiliating. At any rate, the sub is on its way to being fixed and I can't wait to get it back. The guy told me they'll shoot for a 21 day turnaround. (sigh) I'll keep you guys posted on how this unfolds. I hope it comes back to me in the same condition it was brought in to them = flawless. Thanks for your help and sorry for the long thread here. Rock on...

First mistake was doing business with Ultimate. Over the course of a number of years I purchased components from them, including, over time, the entire Heritage line of Klipsch speakers. It never failed that I got treated like I had leprosy everytime I walked in their store--back when they were Audio King. They were/are the most arrogant, smug people in the business. Every time this would happen I swore I would never go back, but I always did, until the internet came along. I haven't been back in their store(s) in years and it gives me some measure of happiness to read that they are now experiencing major financial difficulties; bankruptcy is in the offing. Good service is a rare commodity.

I find it interesting that in these types of communities (the Klipsch forum, Audiogon, etc.) people treat each other better than people who profess to be professionals. Ah well. What goes around comes around.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian,

your words are haunting me. "First mistake is doing business with Ultimate ..." It's been a nightmare since having my sub gone. Sucks having equipment out on service anyway, but when the repair center that is doing the work won't return calls and everyone has their heads up their butts and no-one knows whats going on it makes you wanna purchase a rocket launcher.

Anyway, I am looking forward to when it returns. Movies just aren't the same without the RSW. (sniff) ...

Oh someone finally had a status for me yesterday when I called. "Waiting for parts" is the current status. Hopefully within the next 2 or 3 weeks. All you guys that have had equipment go out on you, you can feel my pain. Thank you thank you.

I hope you don't mind an interjection, but I am going to purchase an RF-35 surround sound system (includes RW-12, according to Klipsch website). The internet is much cheaper, but I have come to believe you get what you pay for. And in my case, I want good customer service. I am in Minnesota and the only other authorized Klipsch dealer is Best Buy, as far as customer service goes, they are a horse a piece (in my opinion). Going on the internet kindof scares me, based on reviews I have seen (people receiving damaged goods, or goods with serial numbers altered/removed). Is there any authorized Klipsch dealers on the internet (aside from Best Buy and Ultimate)?

Looking for suggestions...

Best Buy is authorized to sell the Synergy line only.

I must say I had the same aprehension using on-line distributoirs.

Just bought a pair of RF-35's ,Cherry, from electronics-expo.com and had a good experience.

speakers arrived in 5 days.

no damages or problems.

Just check boxes on arrival and don't accept if damaged.

( or Maybe I just got lucky ! )9.gif

I have purchased a few things online. I trust Yahoo and have had good luck with them. Just by going to shopping.yahoo.com I look for a vendor with a good rating and a decent website to back them. Then I usually call them and speak with them first-hand. I've made these purchases:

Denon DVD 3800 - shipped within a week, came flawless and functioned perfectly

Klipsch RC-7 - shipped within a week, came flawless and perfect function

Klipsch KLF-30 - got them from ebay from a guy in Cali

Good luck so far. I like the comfort of dealing with a certified Klipsch dealer, but ironically the only thing purchased from them has been the equipment that fails.

• 2 weeks later...

Call their corporate office directly and ask to speak to Dave Workman. You may not get him, you might I did once, but you will get someone who can kick your solution into gear and get something done quickly. You've waited an unacceptable length of time, IMO.