RF-7s vs. Def Tech 7000SCs

klipschmnfan

Hello,

Close to pulling the trigger and have some WAF issues between these two speakers.

Will be using Bryston amps and Pre/Pro with either, but would like some opinions/views from the RF-7 owners on their product and anyone who could give me an honest opinion on the main differences that they see between the Klipsch and the Def Tech 7000s.

My wife and I love both of these speakers, but one of us likes the horn loaded tweeter sound and the other enjoys the bi-polar sound of the Def Tech.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

When I purchased my RF-7's the audio store had a pair of 7000 Def Tec.

I listen side by side and really like the Def Tec's. However since I already

owned Klipsch speaker I stayed with them. Either one is very good. The Def's

sound really complete since they have a built in sub.

I previously owed a Def. Tech. 7.1 system in which I had about 3,000 invested. I don't know if it was a bad combo with my Denon 3801 or what, but I was never satisfied with the sound { not enough in the high end for me and just not " exciting " to me. I sold the Def Techs last December.

I've heard both and first thing is $ factor,the 7000's are a little expensive I think,about 5k? They also sound VERY good,although they are much more subdued than 7's,the highest freqs will not be nearly as prominent.Side by side the difference in sound is quite large,7's louder upper,7000s louder lower.Its worth noting that for 5k you can have 2-rf7's and 2 rsw-15s,this makes the real comparison much more a choice of ears and space.For sheer volume and beauty the Klipsch wins,IMO.For footprint and more laid back(although in a good way)sound,the 7000s are a very good speaker.

I haven't heard the 7000's. I have extensively listened to the Power Monitor series. The 500, 700 and 900 sound great for 'bookshelf' speakers with their built in subwoofers and will give some floorstanders the hurry-up. I thought the bass was outstanding and they could go quite loud as well. I do believe that the Def Tech sound generally, is a little soft in overall presentation, particularly in the highs. I would find it difficult to compare RF-7's with a Def Tech or even a Paradigm model because the sound of each manufacturer is so different and these manufacturers have a dissimilar ethos compared to that promoted by Klipsch. So it would be more a case of what you want from your speakers, rather than which speaker is 'better'. But for clarity and a more realistic presentation of the music, the RF-7's are a hard act to beat... and IMHO they look much nicer than Def Tech anyway!

I demo'd both of the systems you are looking at before settling upon the RF-7s. I believe that there are a couple of threads on this-run a search and I think you'll find them.

For 2-channel listening, I liked the DefTech speakers because they really do fill a room. I thought they did a really nice job, especially for vocals. However, I didn't think they measured up to the RF-7s overall. The RF-7s are much more detailed and have a much more live sound to them.

I would recommend that you take some music and a movie or two with you and spend a lot of time listening to both of them. Play a song on one and then immediately switch to the other. Make sure you listen to both at the same volume. This will mean turning the volume down on the RFs due to their high sensitivity. When switching back and forth between the two, you will really notice the differences between the two. If you plan on using the speakers in a home theater setup, you will want to listen to them with a 5.1/6.1/7.1 setup.

Let us know what YOU think. You're on the Klipsch forum-you know what most of us think!!! 12.gif