academy just sold for 107.50 on e-bay

iwillwalk

----------------

On 10/26/2004 7:45:39 PM psg wrote:

Yeah, I had seen it but let it go. Broken cone and missing grille. My wife wouldn't let me get away with that!

----------------

Jees, yer wife actually worries about stuff like this? I guess I should have looked for those types of qualities in a woman! Instead I choose.... never mind. 9.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, been awhile since my last visit here.....

It was ME.

I have a 'family' setup in the front living room for the wife and kids to use rather than allow them access to the all vintage Klipschorns 'movie room' setup. Previously, the setup was Forte II's as mains, a single Heresy II as a center, and a pair of 'original' Heresy's as surrounds. A Klipsch KSW200 sub rounded out this rather pleasing little setup as well as a Proscan 50" rear projection TV. The sound was very nice and I had actually mentally finished with any further enhancements.

Based largely in part to the glowing accolades from members of this forum, I had been scoping out epay on occasion for an Academy center, maybe scanning once or twice a month for the past 4 months or so. My limit was about $300 and I had convinced myself that I would never preview an Academy since the going rate was easily a hundred or so beyond my reach. $400+ for a center in a backup surround setup was in my opinion, over the top. You can get a pair of Forte's for that, I've even seen Chorus' go for less.

Nonetheless, I check regularly. One Friday before leaving work for the weekend, I spy an Academy listed with the current bidding at something like $102, with something like a day and a half left. Knowing I wouldn't remember over the weekend to monitor it, I submitted my ESNIPE limit of $127.57 and totally forgot about it. Imagine my surprise when I came to work Monday to a 'Congratulations, you've won a bid' message. Yup my fellow forum members, $107 and some change. Shipping was a reasonable $40 or so, I got out the door for less than $150 total.

It came about a week and a half ago. Packaged rather poorly and due to the rather unflattering listing description, I though that I would have a major restoration project on my hands. WRONG. Despite what the listing said - dinged up - the speaker was actually cosmetically virtually perfect. There was an 1/8th inch (diameter) spot where it had some paint missing on the bottom of it, but other than that, I could not find another exterior blemish. Corners were perfect. No grille as described, but I would have removed it and replaced it with something that matched my Forte II's anyway. The biggest detractant listing-wise was the stated 'cone damage'. Described as a 'crack', it certainly was. Radially, on the right cone about 3/4ths of an inch from the outer rim, the plastic-type cone material had a roughly 4" crack. But no 'hole' as described in the listing. The listing also accuratly stated that all drivers were working. Sure enough, even the damaged cone driver was functionally in working order. To repair, I smeared a thin coating of aquarium sealer on the crack, waited 24 hrs for it to cure, and fired away.

I was completely unprepared for the results. The Heresy is no slouch. However, as far as center speaker duty is concerned, the Academy in that setup made an unbelievable UNBELIEVABLE improvement. Specifically, in the soundstage. It made the whole ensemble sound like a singular set. Timbre wise, it is THE definition of perfectly matched. All aspects of the sound - bass, mids and highs - were enhanced. The Forte's seemed to come alive. I can identify no difference between the repaired speaker and the 'good' one, and being at ear level, it's fairly easy to perform the old one speaker vs the other test. Also, the Academy is a heavy brute. Much more so than it appears. heavier than the Heresy's. Very, very solid.

Kind of funny too. The wife did not like the Heresy sitting atop the TV. I had it sitting upright rather than laying on it's side because either way it looked kind of funky, but at least upright the badge was correct and it seemed to sound a little better. When I replaced it with the Academy, I did so without the grille as there wasn't one and I didn't have the time to make one up, I was initially just testing. So it was there, 'naked', with one cone repaired with sealer for at least 3 days before the wife noticed. She all the sudden said 'hey, you changed the speaker, I like it. It looks much better than the other one which looked ridiculous standing up on top' (Yeah right, that's why it took you 3 days to notice) but I instead said 'I still have to make a matching grille for it'. To which she responded 'take your time, I kind of like that exposed look'. Huh. You just never know. Fact is that you cannot really see the aquarium sealer anyway unless you get up and scrutinize it closely, the crack was a single crack and when placed back into position, was virtually undetectable.

Bottom line is that I am now a member of the Klipsch Academy believer group. This is one fine center speaker and I give my highest recommendation for those on the fence to wait it out and get one if you have Forte's or Forte II based setups. The sound will absolutely make your jaw drop. Is this the only dedicated center speaker that Klipsch gave a 'name' to rather than a designation-type reference?

Very, very pleased....especially for $107.

Ah...so sorry. At least it went to another member....(small consolation I know). I really didn't think I would get it. It was a total shock. Might I recommend esnipe (esnipe.com)....set it and forget it. Then it is truly up to whomever wants to pay the most rather than who has the fastest keyboard finger.

I have a single Heresy II just laying around now......

On 11/17/2004 2:46:45 PM edwardre wrote:

I have a single Heresy II just laying around now......

How much are you asking for it?2.gif

What year and colour is it?

I should have bid on the Academy and am now shopping for a Heresy (or a pair) to act as center for La Scala's...

I recently picked up an Academy myself and I must say it has the most articulate and accurate dialogue that I have heard from any center channel speaker to date. I have had in the past a KG 2.2V and a KV-4 and the Academy leaves them in the dust. I use it in conjuction with my center La Scala and talk about a seamless match, now I see why some people have been crazy enough to drop $900 on one at ePay. I got lucky the guy initially had it listed as a dbx subwoofer, an area I frequent often, then I worked a deal out for it.

I see the one that was just posted ended. I am pretty certain someone made a background deal on it.

----------------

Might I recommend esnipe (esnipe.com)....set it and forget it. Then it is truly up to whomever wants to pay the most rather than who has the fastest keyboard finger.

----------------

Kinda like proxy bidding . . .

----------------

On 11/17/2004 3:16:30 PM WS65711 wrote:

----------------

Might I recommend esnipe (esnipe.com)....set it and forget it. Then it is truly up to whomever wants to pay the most rather than who has the fastest keyboard finger.

----------------

Kinda like proxy bidding . . .

----------------

Very different, actually.

@&%$#&%@

Proxy bidding is the same as long as no one else proxy bids. If even 2 folks proxy bid, the tendency is to jack the price up of the item prematurely as the proxies try to outbid each other whenever there are 2. Yes, if the reigning high bidder's proxy bid is more than the esnipe bidder's max, the proxy bidder will prevail. But that is the only situation the proxy bidder will prevail in.

Gotta go home now but tomorrow AM I will write the detials of the single Heresy and then you can decide whether you still want it or not. I got it late July for $103 & change, here's the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5710655924&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

I'm absolutely interested, if shipping to either Quebec City (G1W 1H1) or Rimouski (G5L 8Y6) isn't too outrageous from Northern CA. Shipping one is half the cost of shipping two anyway...

I need one black Heresy to match my La Scala, and that is one black Heresy! What's the finish on it?

I was interested in trying a pair of Heresy's as the center, but using a single unit would work too and I wouldn't end up storing one if it turned out one is better anyway.

You can email me at psg@debian.org

----------------

On 11/17/2004 7:13:50 PM edwardre wrote:

@&%$#&%@

Yes, if the reigning high bidder's proxy bid is more than the esnipe bidder's max, the proxy bidder will prevail. But that is the only situation the proxy bidder will prevail in.

----------------

Not true.

If the proxy bid equals the sniper's bid, the proxy bid will normally be the winner,

since it was likely placed before the sniper's bid.

The ONLY benefit to sniping (AFAIC), is that it allows snipers to PRETEND that

there is little or no interest in an item. By doing this, its possible that they

could fool a "normal" bidder into placing a lower bid than he may have placed

otherwise. Then the sniper gets the item at the end.

But if the "normal" bidder always places his maximum bid for an item he really

wants, he will get it unless someone (sniper on not) outbids him.

Friend, I'm not here to belabor any point nor am I the resident 'esnipe shill'. I'm simply passing on experiences that worked for me. Take it or leave it - makes absolutely no diff to me. In fact, the less people who use it the better the chances for me......I have 'won' (the right to buy) many, many klipsch items that I can directly attribute to esnipe....a partial list:

85 Cornwalls - $255

single Belle (WO) - $275

the single Heresy - $103

6 Stephens Trusonic 103LX2's - not one over $50

7 University SAHF's - not one over $25

pair of Forte II's - $275

Infocus LP350 front projector, brand new in sealed box w/mfg warranty - $375

SVS 20-39 PC+ - $385

The Academy - $107

Yeah, you're probably right, I would have got this junk anyway using proxy bids....nobody else was bidding those days....