Bowers and Wilkins 703's are here and singing!

jdm56

The 703's are the top floor-stander in the 700 series. I'm sure they do not quite measure up to the comparable 800 series models in terms of resolution and detail, but they get darned close for quite a bit less money.

The B&W "sound": I am not sure if it is a sound; or if it is the lack of an identifiable sound! I listened to models in the 600, 700 and 800 series, and was struck by the similarities more than the differences. If there is any common characteristics among the different models and lines, it would seem to be a slightly tipped up high end, very clear and natural sounding mids, and tight, well controlled bass.

"The B&W "sound": I am not sure if it is a sound; or if it is the lack of an identifiable sound!"

That is something I am sure B&W would love to hear - they pride themselves on being monitors without flavour.

Frankly I do not agree. I have heard a number of speakers that are supposed to be neutral, and some are closer than others, according to my ears of course, but I would not class B&W as being amongst them.

That is not to say I dont like the sound - far from it - I massively prefer the sound over, say the Quad 989 which, again to my ears, are truely close to neutral.

In my book it is more a case of accuracy and neutrality be damned - give me music. The 802 is as musical an experience as I have had (interestingly - more so than the 801 but I think that more a case of the 801 being such a ***** to drive).

Match an 802 to a sympathetic 200 wpc amp and you have a sound I could live with, possibly for ever. Trouble is there are a lot of other options at the money that kind of system commands. If money were no object - maybe...they sure look good.

jdm56,

I hope you enjoy your speakers for many years.

I don't see what the big deal is. jdm56 tried Klipsch speakers for many years and they didn't work out for him. He listened to something else which worked out better. I don't see why he has to defend his choice.

I thought this hobby was about enjoying the music. If he is happy good for him.

I hope he gets to listen to music and not the equipment that he bought.

Danny

----------------

On 11/1/2004 6:33:21 PM dbflash wrote:

artto,

where have you been?

what can i use instead of masonite?

danny

----------------

Been kinda busy lately. You can use any material that has some weight and density to it and is flexible. Fibered materials are preferred for their absorption properties. Plywood would be a good substitute. Masonite is a brand name. Its a wood fiber with resin based hardboard product. The idea is to use something that is flexible enough to bend/flex substantially without cracking so it can diffuse the (shorter wavelength) mid and high frequencies but is not so flimsy that it will vibrate like a passive radiator with the lowest tones. It should be acting as a diffuser on the mids and highs, and absorb more bass than treble.

----------------

On 11/1/2004 6:20:54 PM artto wrote:

Huh? Excuse me?

Oh, I see, you're "dazed and confused".

I beleive this is the webpage you're looking for to post your enthusiasm:

----------------

Sorry, arto. I don't mean to offend or provoke by enthusing over my new B&W's, but that is what seems to be happening, with a few people at least. Maybe i ought to leave the island under my own power, before I get voted off, eh? 15.gif

jdm56 said:

I don't mean to offend or provoke by enthusing over my new B&W's, but that is what seems to be happening, with a few people at least. Maybe i ought to leave the island under my own power, before I get voted off, eh?

-------------------------

I think most are kidding you but whatever.

I've enjoyed your post and its great when anyone finds something their really pleased with.

Stick around buddy and keep us up to date as you grow to know your B&Ws.

mike

1.gif

Maybe most are kidding, I dunno. Still, I feel so juiced over these little puppies, it's gonna be hard NOT to blather on and on about them. And the more I bloviate, the more static I'm gonna get. Que Sera Sera, as Doris Day used to sing.

The worst thing with B&W, is that their best is virtually unobtainable to mere mortals. Make that their best two or three! The Nautilus is what, $20,000 each? The 800, 801 and 802 are still way up there. I think the 803 is a "mere" $2000 each, so that is probably the highest level I could hope to attain, unless I went the used route. But I don't see a whole lot of 800/801/802's on the used market, either. Betcha I start looking, though, just in case! I could definitely go for a pair of 801's if I won the lottery. 3.gif For now and the forseeable future though, I am just thrilled with these little 703's. I might pick up a sub, just to gild the lily. Although, these things by themselves go down tight and clean to below 30hz, in-room. Pretty astounding for two pairs of 6 1/2 inch woofers, I'd say!

----------------

On 11/2/2004 12:48:26 AM jdm56 wrote:

Maybe most are kidding, I dunno. Still, I feel so juiced over these little puppies, it's gonna be hard NOT to blather on and on about them. And the more I bloviate, the more static I'm gonna get. Que Sera Sera, as Doris Day used to sing.

The worst thing with B&W, is that their best is virtually unobtainable to mere mortals. Make that their best two or three! The Nautilus is what, $20,000 each? The 800, 801 and 802 are still way up there. I think the 803 is a "mere" $2000 each, so that is probably the highest level I could hope to attain, unless I went the used route. But I don't see a whole lot of 800/801/802's on the used market, either. Betcha I start looking, though, just in case! I could definitely go for a pair of 801's if I won the lottery.
3.gif
For now and the forseeable future though, I am just thrilled with these little 703's. I might pick up a sub, just to gild the lily. Although, these things by themselves go down tight and clean to below 30hz, in-room. Pretty astounding for two pairs of 6 1/2 inch woofers, I'd say!

----------------

Forget the Nautilus or 800's, you owning the 703's have already made you an envy of the forum.

----------------

On 11/2/2004 1:35:57 AM nicholtl wrote:

Forget the Nautilus or 800's, you owning the 703's have already made you an envy of the forum.

----------------

Naahhh...keep aspiring to them, you'll love the 703's, no doubt, but the N800 series is spectacular and worth pursuing someday...I have the 802's and the 804's and have loved both from the first note...

----------------

On 11/1/2004 8:40:21 PM jdm56 wrote:

----------------

On 11/1/2004 6:20:54 PM artto wrote:

Huh? Excuse me?

Oh, I see, you're "dazed and confused".

I beleive this is the webpage you're looking for to post your enthusiasm:

----------------

Sorry, arto. I don't mean to offend or provoke by enthusing over my new B&W's, but that is what seems to be happening, with a few people at least. Maybe i ought to leave the island under my own power, before I get voted off, eh?
15.gif

----------------

I see your head is clearing.