ST70 revisted

NOSValves

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 10/31/2004 12:20:22 PM sunnysal wrote:

on the surface jeff asked a technical question that was never answered and was instead attacked. from parrot/putz I expect that type of stuff but dean and craig seemed to me to be more level headed.

----------------

On the surface, exactly. You need to read what the intent is.

I find it very interesting that the guy who made your amp is afraid to post scope pictures of its response. I think anyone would assume they must be very poor or else they would be posted. One could argue that the poor specs don't matter and that the sound is magical, which is a different issue. If you like your amp and are so confident about it, why are you so defensive?

Jeff did say he used the gear during the design and testing phases, and accomodated Craig by posting pictures of the gear. He also agreed the results were important, but not always directly related to the quality of the sound -- so he didn't put what he felt to be undue emphasis on them alone (square waves). I for one understand why he didn't start yanking the test equipment out of storage, breaking down his system, and snapping pictures just to satisfy Craig's challenge. So, you can give it a rest Paul, because as usual -- no one really gives a rat's *** what you think.

Dean,

Jeff and I have covered the square wave issue before as he even admits in his post. So why does he feel he has to bring it up once again? Pure and simple it was meant to provoke a response that he knew he would get I just simply accomadated him.

Craig

I just think we should tone down, cool out, whatever you want to call it. As I said, I think the commercial stuff gets in the way of calm interchange. I think if ALL the commercial guys just really try to cool it, especially by letting things pass and turning the other cheek, etc. we will have better conversations and better results from all our exchanges. that's all I wanted to get across.

BTW

I am convinced jeff is a talented amp maker, the designs, most of them are classics, or classics tweaked just a bit, he is not coming up with anything new, by and large he is just finding proven designs from the golden age and building nice new versions of them. I have yet to see him make claims about his own work, or compare his work to others, ever.

I am equally convinced that criag does excellent work in restoring, and more recently building, amps. as with jeff, many people are very pleased with his work for them.

I want to see both of continue to participate in this forum, it is to our benefit both form a learning perspective and from a commercial perspective (they both can do good work for board members).

We (and they) need to take efforts to self-police our posting to keep it civil, or people start to leave. I am still pissed of that we chased away Kelly who made contributions to many here, I don't want to see that happen to more useful board members.

On another note, I had some friends come over for another shoot-out last night...pretty neat stuff I will post about it early this week..

warm regards from sunny el salvador,

tony

----------------

On 10/31/2004 2:57:31 PM sunnysal wrote:

I am still pissed of that we chased away Kelly who made contributions to many here, I don't want to see that happen to more useful board members.

----------------

How do you figure you chased him away when he was posting just yesterday? If his posts aren't frequent enough, read the ones by Mobile Junior.

----------------

On 10/31/2004 2:34:36 PM NOSValves wrote:

Dean,

Jeff and I have covered the square wave issue before as he even admits in his post. So why does he feel he has to bring it up once again? Pure and simple it was meant to provoke a response that he new he would get I just simply accomadated him.

Craig

----------------

Craig, you got it wrong.

Here is what I meant, once again, but this time I'll try to be a bit clearer if I wasn't enough before.

If one is to post scope results, why not do it in a "scientific way". The way I see it, a proper method to display the information would be:

1)putting the feed signal and the amplified signal (as you have a dual trace scope).

2)specifying the volt/division setting for each trace.

3)specifying the load.

This way someone interested and able to interpret will be able to see what was the feed signal amplitude, what is the power output, what is the gain, what is the phase shift for a given frequency (etc).

That is all.

There was no offense meant in my initial post, no pissing contest, no jumping in your thread to make you like like an ***, no nothing. It was a suggestion that is it. Seems to me you didn't agree with my suggestion.

I didn't plan to "jump in your thread" this time but since some are giving me intentions I didn't have well, allow me to "defend" myself.

Now that it is done I'm out of your thread as from now...

Jeff,

I may have misread your intentions but the fact remains the same we have covered this ground before as you admit. So why do you insist on rolling the stone over again? If you want this place to become some scientific classroom I suggest you fire up your equipment and go at it. Other wise show me the descency I show you in your threads. I feel the more details I put up the more problems it will produce. It doesn't really matter what I do here a certain few people are going to fault me one way or the other. I'm sure a majority take these posts as intended and are just afraid to join in because they have seen the waste land they produce time and again. It's really a shame.

I suggest you look at it from my stand point

First Ryan drops in, then Guy, then Mike, then you, then Kelly !! I mean you know as well as I do there is no love lost between myself and these people. What exactly do you think I'm going to do ? Everyone of them with at least some type of negative comments !! I stay clear of threads where I know I will evoke a problem for the most part why can't other show me the same treatment ? I think you may have received the brunt of my frustation and I'm sorry for that but I still feel you could of had something positive to say rather then pick apart what I had done.

Craig

First Ryan drops in, then Guy, then Mike, then you, then Kelly !! I mean you know as well as I do there is no love lost between myself and these people. What exactly do you think I'm going to do ? Everyone of them with at least some type of negative comments !! I stay clear of threads where I know I will evoke a problem for the most part why can't other show me the same treatment ?

++++++++++++++++++++

As a forum member for over 4 years; I have seen the "circling shark" mentality on dozens of occassions.

Of all the chronic malcontents listed above I cannot remember any of them ever owning or listening to a NOS Valves rebuild of an integrated, power amp or the VRD monoblocks through Klipsch speakers.

If so I stand corrected.

I never comment on McIntosh threads. Only heard McIntosh one time for 20 minutes years ago. Same goes for me and K Horn experience (SACD too).

I try to have my uninformed comments kept to a minimum.

If memebers have no experience in a set of circumstances (amps, test equipment, speakers, digital technology...); they should remain observers instead of uninformed thread participants.

If Craig thinks there is correllation between his amp performance and square wave performance; the pictures become data to support the supposition.

If confilcting data exists; it has not been presented when I have been reading.

I have not listened to the ST-70 rebuild yet; therefore I have no comment at this time.

But of the 8 or 10 different amps worked on by Craig I have listened to for more than 4 hours each; I have found every one to be musical and with excellent soundstage within the limitations of the design and transformers employed. VRD being the best performer.

Decent probability exists that the rebuilt ST70 performance should be very capable as well.

• 2 months later...

gee Craig, it would have been nice 1.gif if you had at least made a reference that you bought this mod kit from me.

I see someone finally asked if it was mine and you said yes, but with the fantastic review you gave it, maybe some people would like to know it's available as a bare PCB or kit, not just something you can do as a total rebuilt thru your business!

I've been selling these for 15 years now, and I haven't found anything I like better.

1.gif Roy Mottram

roymottram@yahoo.com

www.tubes4hifi.com

• 4 weeks later...

And just when I thought this place was getting boring, you guys had to go and spice it up. Who sings that song "Why can't we be friends"? He should be shot, life would be to dull. You guys keep slugging it out, and once and awhile through in something of real use will ya. I still nedd to learn something in all this crap.

If you want my opinion the square waves slides at least show us dummies something other than just words. I for one like them. I always say it has to have some merrit and meaning, or else it would nor be a test at all. As for the sound you hear, I think you all need to try a little cotton swab. Amazing what it will do for your listening pleasure.

Cool Site... Am I my brother's keeper?

Glad to know about this site. It is a keeper.

Next time I stumble onto a beat ST-70 I know where to go to get the goodies. looks like it would be fun. Good stuff.

Hey, better than Curcio boards, good compliment, I am curious to try them.

I still do not quite understand where the bias control

"pots" are....on the board itself? I do not see them in the photos posted here.

Then again, I might just wait to see what new flavors JMA has up its fruit-stained sleeve.

C&S