ST70 revisted

NOSValves

My latest Dynaco ST70 modification package. I've been meaning to get to this project for 3 months on my own amp. But Scott's amps made to the Queue first. This setup really sounds great and is definitly a step up from the Curcio Board I had been using and I haven't even tweaked it yet! I'm pretty excited about this and will be designing a Stereo amp losely based of this setup. I think anyone that buy's a Cayin or Jolida for $800 to $1K is really cutting themself short this amp will blow them away in all respects for even or less money depending on what they pay for the ST70. What do you all think of the modification to the front panel ?

I should of taken some before pictures this amp was a real rats nest. Power supply now has 458uF compared to the original anemic 90uF !!

ST70MOD1.jpg

Uses 3 - 12AT7's but also can be used with 12AU7 or 12AX7 for a different flavor! Full bias control and AC Balance

built into the Front End board.

ST70MOD2.jpg

ST70MOD3.jpg

Spread out the RCA jacks for more interconnect room and gold RCA input Jack. Got rid of the ugly tube

sockets and Mono/Stereo switch and mounted Bias Test points and a ground jack in there place.

ST70MOD4.jpg

What a difference a few hours of tweaking in the afternoon can make I did some fine tuning and put the ST70 through its paces on the scope and with my Sound Technologies distortion analyzer. Below are the square wave results man I have to figure a way to get clear shots of these 5.gif The distortion is less then a 1/2 % from 1 watt to 5 watt and then slowly rises to a max of just a hair over 1% at full output.

20Hz

ST70_20Hz.jpg

100Hz

ST70_100Hz.jpg

1Khz

ST70_1Kz.jpg

5Khz

ST70_5Kz.jpg

10Khz

ST70_10Kz.jpg

15Khz

ST70_15Kz.jpg

20Khz

ST70_20Kz.jpg

******NOTE******

THESE SCOPE SHOTS ARE JUST TO PROVIDE A BASIC LOOK AT SMOOTHNESS OF REPRODUCTION. MOST MODERN HIGHER POWERED TUBE AMPS I TEST HAVE MOUNTAIN RANGES ACROSS THE TOP OF THE SQUARE WAVES WITH REPEATED OVER SHOOTS IN THE UPPER FREQUENCIES. THIS AMP HAD THEM TO A SMALL DEGREE BEFORE I STARTED TUNING WITH THE NEW FRONT END BOARD INSTALLED. AMPS WITH SQUARE WAVES THAT HAVE THESE MOUNTAIN RANGE TYPE RESULTS TEND TO HAVE THAT NAIL IN THE FOREHEAD FATIGUE CAUSING SOUND ON KLIPSCH SPEAKERS.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job Craig, sure looks like a beaut to me1.gif I can attest to Craig's work on these Dynaco amps, he recently completely overhauled and spruced up my Dynaco Mark III mono amps with all the goodies and boy do they rock, very clean and smooth.

BTW, you did a great job on the Scott 99-D you rebuilt for me, sounds great!! I hooked it up with my RC-7 center and played Kill Bill 2, the bass and smoothness of the treble is excellent.10.gif

LOL

What thread? Was there a thread on this yesterday? Where is it?

Craig, have you tried a different phase splitter, tried Black Gates in place of those Xicons, Magnaquest iron, different coupling caps, carbon film resistors, and silver wiring? You know, I think you can make those sound A LOT better if you add about $1000 worth of better parts in there. What the hell ARE you doing over there, trying to run a business or something? Can't you add anything to this phucked up "sad" forum besides pictures of wavy lines? I bet you don't even own a multimeter -- at least not one as nice as the one I don't use.9.gif

BTW, nice work. Is that board the one you and Mark were working on -- or something else?

Dean those parts would sound great in a SET amp with fewer parts, but would cost more than the value of the ST-70. It would be a great experiment, but not a hope at being able to get your money out of it. Sort of like putting aluminum rims and low profile tires on a 1990 Buick Century. 2.gif

Looking good, Craig.

----------------

On 10/31/2004 12:30:14 AM Guy Landau wrote:

I'm sure everyone saw yesterday's thread.......

----------------

You mean the thread in which someone didn't want to post scope pictures of a SET amp because they would show all too well its poor performance? That was a fun thread.

everyone is FAR too defensive and reactive these days, I really think the fact that members have financial stakes is threatening to ruin the board, the dynamic is unhealthy and yesterday was a great example.

on the surface jeff asked a technical question that was never answered and was instead attacked. from parrot/putz I expect that type of stuff but dean and craig seemed to me to be more level headed.

I understand craig is proud of his work, I am sure jeff is too...but why go nuts over s imple technical question? I even saw that jeff apologized if craig had taken his question the wrong way...grrr...

I have been one for keeping the disucssions here as open and inclusive as possible BUT maybe klipsch should ban any and every mention of a for-profit product of service from now on. this sh*t really bugs me.

tony

Yikes Mike, I was just goofing around for cry'in out loud. I was poking fun at yesterday's thread, not trying to stir anything up. Mostly I was giving Craig a rash of sh!t, which Rick picked up on easy enough.

Now Tony, wouldn't it be great if the amp guys got along as well as the crossover guys? We only talk about each other behind each other's back -- we would never do it in a thread!1.gif

I understand what you are saying Mike and Tony, but sometimes things meant one way, look like another. With the past history here on this stuff, it's easy to understand how it can be harder than usual to tell the difference. It's best just to let it go and move on. I suppose in that light my post above might have not been the smartest move. Sorry.

What is missing from this thread linked below that is clearly visible in this thread here and the previous thread on this subject? Now this thing that is missing in the thread linked below.... where and who did it come from in my threads ?

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=55815

Kev,

maybe the edit that will make it clearer I reread and see what you mean LOL !!

Nice work NOS, long time since I posted here, Remember the ST-70 you sold me to go with my Cornwalls, that was a great combo, I imagine this one is a step up from that one huh? We'll I don't have the amp or speaks anymore because i was out of work for a while, been looking around here quite a bit lately to see what your all up too. Now that I'm working again hope to have some kind of klipsch set-up again soon. Keep up the good work.

Craig