Need reccomendation for small center channel w/ Cornwall L/R Mains

Glimmertwin

Well, having used an Academy between Heresies, I'd say that there is no "center" channel speaker (as we think of them for HT) that matches the Cornwall. A Heresy really is the smallest and best bet, especially if you can customize one to fit. Barring that, no dedicated center channel speaker at all -- phantom -- is going to be the best match.

I would agree the Academy is NOT a good match here..

#1 choice the Cornwall, vertical of course (on it's side)

#2 choice the Heresey

I would rather see you NOT going backwards using anything else but the above.

However, if your so inclined to look new...

I would entertain the RC-7. Timbre wise it may not be a "perfect" match 100% but it should be close to keeping up with the dynamics of the incredible Cornwalls. And there is a incredible amount of information in the center for movies you need an exceptional speaker here.

I say this because I, too, use the Reference series specifically the RS-7's as rears in the upstairs in my family room. (Between k horns left and right and a cornwall center... and not wanting a big box on my back wall..) The RS7's really not only look great but sound it too. (White seems to blend in the white crown molding above them.)

I know of another person who also uses the RS-7 between 2 Cornwalls on this board and loves it too.

My 2 Cents

----------------

On 11/3/2004 8:07:56 AM ironwoods wrote:

----------------

On 11/1/2004 12:07:42 PM dr-dezibel wrote:

Olorin is right!

As long as your speakers are't too far apart use the phantom center option. I do so and have no matching trouble.

----------------

None what so ever.
9.gif2.gif6.gif

----------------

if your not doing the cener channel thing how can you have problems with it( other than missing the "center channel" on all recordings, both music and vidio

so whats that, a 4.1 or worse a 3.1 system???

and if you dont have a sub a 3.0 or 4.0

why bother???

remember this is a ht forum!!!

jay

hey glimmer, this is an area where i have played alot, i have done phantom center, rc 7 center, heresy center, but never academy. to begin phantom center works well, but only when you do not have a center, imaging suffers greatly. i tried the heresies and they were perfectly timbre matched, but in a real sense they were a bit on the small size compared to the corns, i mean they were a bit anemic. the rc 7 handled plenty of power but were very different in timbre, the soundstage just was wrong, and in ht, in transitional sounds, it just leapt around as it went heritage-reference-heritage, after many centers i found a single lascalla it is magnificent, if at all possible do not mix series, i have seen this discussion here many times, only to sometimes find some of the participants recanting thier claims about mismatching series, but it all depends on what you expect from your system

----------------

if your not doing the cener channel thing how can you have problems with it( other than missing the "center channel" on all recordings, both music and vidio

remember this is a ht forum!!!

jay

----------------

Yeah, that's what I thought was funny.

Some people swear by phantom centers, as the mis-matching of an improper one, can be worse, IMO.

The information is not missing, it is just split between the L&R mains. Goes for LFE too, if the mains and amp are capable.

It IS definately an HT topic 6.gif

To each their own. 16.gif

----------------

On 11/4/2004 10:50:56 AM Olorin wrote:

To each his own is exactly right. Some people would rather have any speaker on top of the TV, regardless of how it sounds, than none at all. Others would rather have no speaker at all than one that doesn't match. Pick your poison.

----------------

ok, i recant, it was a ht question.

im glad to see a little spirited discussion here!!!

id love to use a lascala center but it wont fit "under" my screen

if your pre/pro has tone controls for each channel it helps with

the timbre issue and remember the need was for a small center to go with the cornies

jay

I actually prefer the academy over a heresy even though the heresy was a better timbre match. The voices just didn't sound good to me in movies. Kind of hard to understand and didn't give me the "breathiness" of the academy. I've heard both a Belle and a Cornwall used for center and would LOVE to be able to add a corn above the TV but my wife won't hear of it. That was the best sounding center I've heard. If I could do it all over again, I'd set up my rack/tv stand to fit a vertical corn. It's da bomb!10.gif

I hear ya Gary, and that's what "preference" is all about. Since we're strolling down IfIHadItToDoOverAgainLane, I'll give my US$0.02. I started with a pair of Heresies, and that is still the sound I like best. I'd buy four more of them and a good sub and be a real happy guy. 1.gif Don't get me wrong, the Forte/Academy combination sounds very good, and I'm sure some people prefer that to the Heresy's more in-your-face character.

Heck, I may yet sell the Academy, go all Heritage in the HT, and move the Fortes to music-only duty. Who knows what the future may bring. 9.gif

I currently use a RC7 between two Cornwalls and aside from some timbre difference, enjoy the presence of this specially-designed modern centre channel speaker. It's efficiency does keep up with the Cornwall. I'm picking up a KLF-C7 soon and will try it as well to get a little bit closer to that original Heritage sound. I think it's a matter of taste and how critical you are with your theatre sound vs your 2-ch sound.

Of course I've heard a very mightly all-Cornwall system also and there is absolutely no comparison, if you have the room and can afford it. (hats off the IKF)

Michael