Khorn Bass

Rudy81

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick:

Thanks. We are in the process of moving, so it will be a month or two before I can truly set things up properly. I can't wait to get it all properly set up! I spent about 6 months tuning and working on my HT. It was well worth the time to find the optimum sweet spot and toe in angle on the Belles. I guess I just get to start over again.

Also did you see my post on airtight bass bin,,,the ones i got are 1972 and in the process of fixing them up i tested the airtightness of the chamber it had leaks that i fixed im sure more out there have leaks to. There are a lot of joints in a K-Horn and dont take much to make a leak. Rick

Artto, after reading "Master handbook of Acoustics" I could not agree more. The 32hz wave that is being produced by the Khorn is a long wave and can be cancled out by room nodes. From what I see the Klipschorn is so much different from any other speaker out there (including other klipsch models) beacuse it is not contained in itself. A klipschorn relys on the room design for the bass. Maybe to simple but: Bad room = bad bass. That being said I think much can be done to help any situation. Bass traps etc.

I also have to vote that it is the room size. To make a Khorn sing, it needs to be in the right room environment.

When Artto was in my room, he commented on how my room size renforces my lower bass responce.

For those of you dreaming of owning a Khorn setup someday, This thread reverberates what a lot of us say here, that if you do not have the room for a Khorn, you are better off buying a LAS or Belle.

JM

The bass bin should be sealed as the low frequencies interact with the walls, floor and room. The mids and highs do not as the entire squaker and tweeter produce the frequencies without that assistance.

There is the ratios of LxWxH that affect bass through standing waves, dead spots, etc..

I have heard properly placed K-Horns and have owned 2 sets of LaScalas. Now 2 pair of Cornwall IIs due to space.

I do agree with Guy and with Craig regarding the bass. The K-Horn does not have poorer bass, but the LaScala kicks it out the front right at you, as does the Belle. The K-horn emminates the bass and uses the room itself more, thus the need for the proper sealing.

One can't say the bass is better from either of the 3 Klipsch sources. It is a matter of acoustics and personal preference.

dodger

I think that environment plays THE biggest hand in the bass response. The most impressive bass that I have ever heard came from Khorns, with brick corners rather widely spread in a living room, no less.

Flapped my pant legs, rattled the dishes. And it wasn't THAT loud, that is, there was like 60 watts per available.

So it can be done.

DM2.gif

It means that I upgraded the crossover networks that came in my '88 Klipschorn's (AK-2) to AK-3 functionality by replacing the three parts in each required to do so. Why? You ask. Well the AK-2 is considered one of the dog crossovers that Klipsch produced while the AK-3 is considered a much better network. So I bought the new parts necessary to convert my AK-2's to AK-3's.

I hope that sums it up!

Swapping the T5A autoformer to the T4A autoformer brings the midrange (squawker) up +2db. Swapping the dual 70uf Aerovox caps for a single Solen 100uf Metallized Polypropylene in woofer circuit tightened up and smoothed out the bass response. I also swapped the 4mh iron core coil in the midrange circuit to an air core 5mh coil as this is what was required to make them AK-3's.

Next I plan on replacing the 13uf Aerovox cap in the midrange circuit and the three 2.0uf caps in the tweeter circuit to Auricaps to further improve on them.

The improvement was not leaps and bounds like replacing the whole network would be, but the audible differences for the money spent were certainly well worth the time and expense to do so.

• 1 month later...

You guys were correct again...what a relief!

I finally finished properly installing the Khorns in the new HT room. I had to create a false wall on one side due to window and used 3/4" reinforced MDF. I took off the Khorn tail seals which are too small to seal the "not so plumb and square" walls. I added some 2" garage door rubber seal that has a slight 20 degree bend in it. I stapled it to the tail section and top of the bass bin.

Seated the Khorns and cranked the music. Yes, the bass is there in spades! In certain frequencies, it is not as punchy as I remember my Belles, but that was in another room in another house, and the room makes a huge differance.

However, the bass response of these monsters surrounds you. It is very much chest pounding when cranked. Imaging and stage depth is excellent. I am very pleased, and releived to "feel" the music again.

Now on to finishing the HT, hooking up the Belles as side effects, and putting up the screen and projector.

Thanks for all the help guys.

9.gif

----------------

On 12/8/2004 2:08:58 PM Frzninvt wrote:

If the old original tail seals that you removed are in good shape and you are not planning on using them, I would like to have them if you are willing to part with them. Please let me know.

Glad the Khorn's are meeting your expectations now - Whew!

----------------

Unfortunately, only one Khorn had "ok" seals. The other one had no rubber on them, just the casing that goes on the tail. I plan on keeping them anyway. I have always kept my Klipsch speakers with all the original parts. You never know when you want to sell.

everyones gonna say you gotta seal em into the corners... or it's a different kind of bass that you're just not used to... or it's a more realistic type of bass and you should be happy to have it that way...

That's crap. The Khorns bass sucks. Plain and simple. I had cornwalls prior to my khorns and the CWs blew the khonrs away in bass. Heck, even my heresys had better bass than my khorns.

I don't care how perfectly you seal your khorns... the bass is still gonna suck compared to many other klipsch and most other high end speakers.

Why can't we just admit that? Oh wait... we own these speakers! They can't suck,,, can they?9.gif

Don:

I don't want to start some silly argument. However, right now, in my HT, I have a pair of Khorns, Belles, La Scalas and Cornwalls. I have listened to all of them in just stereo and yes, while they have different bass, as you would expect from different enclosures, the Khorn bass has more "prescence" than any of the others. The Cornwalls, Belles and La Scalas at moderate volume levels will "thump" you in the chest, but apparently only at a narrow band of frequencies.

I played the Khorns "loud", as loud as I could stand, with Billy Cobhams "Warning" disc, and they were shaking the room. No kidding, they put out plenty of "thump".

Having listened to the Khorns now for a few hours, I am beginning to really like the deep bass it can produce. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but they produce some lower frequencies that the others do not reproduce so well.

In any event, I am definately keeping the Khorns. Frankly, I love all of them, Khorns, Belles, La Scalas, and Cornwalls.