Tube Amps?

audiobliss69

Hey all,

This is my first post. I read around the forum a bit, then I got busy, and I just decided to join. I have a pair of Klipsch RF-35 that I'm driving with a Yamaha RX-V1400. I know it's not a real nice set-up, but I couldn't like my speakers anymore, and I haven't found anything I don't like about my receiver yet. I guess I just have the upgrade bug from reading about other nice equipment, so I've recently gotten interested in tube amps.

I understand that tube amps mate really well to Klipsch speakers because of their 'warm' sound and the Klipsch's high sensitivity. I guess this has lead me to consider tubes for the future. And I do mean future. It will probably be at least 2 years or more before I upgrade, but I'm interested and wanted to start looking and learning (and drooling) now. It's hard to say at this point in time what my budget will be in 2 years when I (hope I) will be in college. However, I'll take a guess and say possibly somewhere around $1500. No more than $2000 I know.

I would appreciate any suggestions for tube amps, info on them (as I really don't know anything about them), manufacturers to look into, etc. Also, if you think maybe I should look at some solid state amps, please tell me.

All info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I say go Vintage and don't wait for two years. Find a nice Dynaco ST-70 for about $300.00, you'll be amazed. Then you an start drooling for upgrades to your Dynaco or looking for your dream $1500.00 tube amp. I had a new Rogue Magnum 88 amp a few years ago and I actually preferred my Dynaco.

Welcome, Audiobliss. Not to dismiss your question or anything like that, but the Klipsch Forum has years of posts in the archives that you can search through. There are tens of thousands of posts on amp recommendations. It's a great resource that you should take advantage of.

Welcome to the forum.

I have certainly been pleased with tubes driving my Heritage speakers.

What kind of budget are you looking at for a tube amp? There are many excellent candidates out there. Also, this forum is a good place to hear reports on various items of gear.

Hi audiobliss69. Welcome. Your Yamaha is one of my favourite budget receivers. It matches quite nicely with Klipsch loudspeakers. Your Klipsch speakers are okay too. You should get a decent sound out of this combination. But I can understand the desire to upgrade. That's what keeps us sane - kind of. Jolida and AntiqueSoundLabs turn out some decent budget tube amps. You could also buy something classic for a couple of hundred bucks. So there's no need to wait in my view. Go forth and satisfy your urge with my blessing.

Welcome!! You certainly will be amazed going to a tube amp. I know I was on my Khorns and fortes with just a simple 2A3 13WPC tube amp directly fed from SACD. If you are going to do this for a lifetime, like many of us and have some electronic knowledge, what about building your own amplifier? I did this and am sure gald I did.

Thanks for all the info; very much appreciated!

That makes pretty good sense to me about going vintage, but I don't buy used. Maybe if I could find one used around here it might could work out. But I can't buy online & without seeing it. So, I'm mainly looking at new. 8.gif

paulparrot

I certainly will use the search feature & come up with some more info; thanks.

If I were convinced to buy a tube now, my upper limit would probably be about like what my current receiver cost: around $800. I don't imagine I could get a whole lot with that without buying used.

edwinr

Thanks, I like it, too. Ya know, it's kinda funny. When I got my Yammy, I thought it was awesome because it was way nicer than what I thought I was going to get. (I had been looking at JVC and the Yammys at Best Buy.) Now, I look at it as a budget receiver, after hangin' around audio forums. I guess that's just how it goes.

Brap

I don't have nearly the electrical knowledge nor the time for building. I bet it would be a lot of fun and quite rewarding, though.

I've looked at some Jolidas, and I think I really like some of the Antique Sound Labs stuff, like the AQ1003DT. Are any of these sold in stores? I don't think I've ever seen a tube amp in a store before.

Thanks!!

Bliss -- If you are a little leary about used, it all depends on who you buy from. You may want to check out Holmaudio.com They are in a suburb of Chgo and they sell many nice pieces of high end tube equipment and always have most excellent used tube amps with a very good warranty/return policy. They carry ASL equipment and have a few demo's at a good price.

Enjoy the warmth and glow!!

Brap, there have been instances where I definitely would have been ok with buying used from forum members, but my parents don't like the idea. So, that's definitely out of the picture. I would say that the place you recommended would be, too, except that you mention a good return policy; I'll have to look into that. I hope that'll work, as I'm sure the prices would be a bit better.

Thanks!

----------------

On 11/3/2004 11:44:26 AM Brap wrote:

Bliss -- If you are a little leary about used, it all depends on who you buy from. You may want to check out Holmaudio.com...

----------------

Greetings,

I've dealt with Holm Audio as well having purchased an Audion Note OTO SE single-ended tube amp from them; they're great folks to deal with. You also might want to check out the Saturday Audio Exchange (at http://saturdayaudio.com/); they've got some new gear from Jolida that won't break the bank as well as some vintage gear that's worth checking out.

You might also want to educate yourself on the differences between the various categories of tube amps: Class AB (fixed-bias) push/pull, Class AB (cathode biased) push/pull, Class A, and Single-Ended. Each has it's own "sound".

Either way, I think you'll have a lot of fun during the learning process and ultimately will end up with a "toob" amp that you'll really like.

Take care,

Scott

Hi,

Like you I became interested in tubes after hanging around this forum reading about horns and decided to try a small tube amp while waiting. I found a $151.95 (delivered) 2 X 8 watt kit and decided to assemble it.

When the kit arrived my secretary wanted to build it and did so in one morning. It did not work and a few minutes of investigation using common intelligence revealed a probable cause of a bad power solder joint. A quick repair and the sound began to emerge. Great sound from the speakers in my office with a direct couple with my $50 DVD/CD player.

A few weeks later I finally got my K-Horns and attached the tube amp. Great sound. Most likely not my final tube amp but I sure enjoy it - especially for the price.

Here is a web site for the amp kit: www.tubeaudio.com Look under the tube amplier kit section.

The power switch is mickey-mouse and I advise replacing it while building.

Enjoy,

Lee

First, I'd like to apologize for not posting in so long; guess I just got kinda busy. Second, thank you very much for all the information I've gotten.

lvhobbs

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never done anything with soldering or anything like that, but, if it's not too difficult, I may be interested.

Thanks again!

Many of the members on this forum have traded amps, sell an old model to upgrade to something better. If in doubt as to the quality and you can get pictures, send them to Craig, or post them here and you will get opinions. For 30 - 50% of the price you can get something very good. If it needs to be fixed, Craig, NOSvalves.com can do the job for a reasonable fee. He does good work.

My tube preamp I bought new, but both my tube amps were used, a Scott LK-72 (299C) in kit form and McIntosh MC-30. I could never have considered the Mc at list price for the current model, but the used was within my price range for superior quality. Do some reading as Paul suggested and you will get a good idea as to what people here think about buying used and value for the dollars. $1500 - 2000 used gets you some very nice equipment. New gets you good equipment.

----------------

On 11/3/2004 1:11:16 PM Klipsch RF7 wrote:

You are about to embark on a great journey my friend, once you get Tubed you will never go back
1.gif

----------------

Amen. I will still keep a nice solid state preamp and amp just for some added flexibility, but I am officially a tube convert. Sure, they are not quite as simplistic or low-maintenance as SS, but in my opinion, well worth it.

RF-7, you should hear this Marantz 8B I also picked up. My Dynaco Mk IIIs are great, but this Marantz takes it to another level. I may switch the Mark IIIs over to the Vertical Cornwalls (planned next spring) and keep the Marantz on the RF-7s. Or vice-versa. Is a nice dilemna to have.

Glad to hear you may be participating in the latest Peach tour. Give the Peach a good whirl because at its price point, it just cannot be beat. Mark has done a nice job.

Carl.