Monoblock Joy

cjgeraci

Recently, when I glowed about Mark's Peach, Pirahna suggested "wait until you get monoblocks." Oh, how right he was.

I am pleased and giddy to announce that two beautiful Dynaco Mark IIIs are now sitting and performing on my audio rack. I am now experiencing monoblock joy. Smooth, yet powerful with incredible bass for my RF-7s. Having already gone with a tubed pre and tubed CD player recently, I am now a full tube convert.

The good news for someone is that I will be posting my Rotel 1080, purchased new earlier this year, on the forum later today for a nice price. I plan on keeping my 1075 for SACD, DVD Audio and movie duties, but my two-channel setup #1 is (finally) set for awhile.

Carl.

I like solid state for it's punch and clarity for rock and stuff. But nothing beats the magic of tubes. The kids in bed, a glass or two of a very nice red, the lights down low or off, the warm soft glow of my EL34EH's, the smokey voice of Josh Stone... Ahh, Heaven. 5.gif

Actually, the punch/tight bass response with these at 60 watts per is what is prompting me to sell my 200 watt SS amp. On this forum, "RF-7" has posted that he loves his bass response with Mk IIIs/RF-7s when listening to a variety of rock, including Metallica, etc., and I am also duly impressed.

Carl.

Congrats ! The Mark III's are some sweet amps ! I have a set that sooner or later I will rebuild and put to use in the secondary system. I still miss the set I sold :( there something so cool about those basic looking little beasts sounding oh so good.

Craig

ROCK ON DUDE!!!!!

I am happy for yeah, now you hear what I experience with my RF-7's with modified crossovers by Dean G, my Dynaco Mark III's have been beefed up and modified by Craig at NOS valves and they jam. I have the Valve ART KT-88's for output tubes, Russian film and foils for the caps, RCA clear top for the 12AU7's, he also set it up with individual bias test points and controls for each of the 4 output tubes so that i can fine tune the voltage to each one for optimal performance. these amps have the Triode board and Craig completely beefed these up, he setup a switch that i can flip between Ultralinear and Triode mode. In triode mode it cuts the wattage in half to 30watts per amp but OMG is the sound alot cleaner and soundstage becomes deeper and richer when strapped in Triode mode. I have a Audio Experience Symphonies Plus tube preamp and my sources are a Sony 300 disc changer running to a Monarchy Audio jitter reducer and then to a MSB Link DAC III upsampling the CD's to 24/132khz. I have a Marantz SA-8260 SACD player for SACD's and Denon DVD-3800 for DVD Audio and movies. I jam to heavy rock, Scorpions, Dokken, you name it. The guitars and drums and vocals are amazing, I have a Klipsch RSW-15 filling out the bottom end and boy does it thump on drums and Bass guitar!!!! I can crank it more than I can stand and it still stays crisp and clean as a bell11.gif10.gif

Thanks Craig and Klipsch RF-7. RF-7, it was your setup that I first thought about when I stumbled across these. Down the road, I am going to upgrade the output tubes first, and then yes, Craig, at some point, they will be coming your direction for a complete rework. They sound great as is, but of course, why not improve on something (i.e. Dean's crossovers) if you can do so at some point.

The triode switch that Craig installed does sound intriguing. Would be nice to have that feature so after my next round of speaker upgrades (stay tuned - but the RF-7s still stay for one of my two-channel setups no matter what), I will probably have Craig work them thoroughly over.

In the meantime, yes, I now completely understand what you have been posting. This two-channel is now the Jolida CD to the Peach to these babies (with SVS PB2-ISD supplement), and the modded RF-7s. Played a bunch of classical and jazz - yesterday - smooth as silk. Then put in rock - still smooth - but oh my *&^%!. We have slam.

Carl.

Carl,

That is the beauty of it, I can listen to every type of music and it still sounds great on any genre it may be. I mean it is smooth and clean for classical, it plays the sax and piano like a dream and can jam hardcore to rock if the need arises. Vocals are superb and crisp, I was listening to Klaus Meine singing "Winds of Change" and it sounded like he was there, It is truly sounds great for all types of music!!

----------------

On 11/3/2004 3:34:14 PM Klipsch RF7 wrote:

Carl,

That is the beauty of it, I can listen to every type of music and it still sounds great on any genre it may be. I mean it is smooth and clean for classical, it plays the sax and piano like a dream and can jam hardcore to rock if the need arises. Vocals are superb and crisp, I was listening to Klaus Meine singing "Winds of Change" and it sounded like he was there, It is truly sounds great for all types of music!!

----------------

Agreed. Last night started out with Mozart and Bach, followed by Flim & the BBs and Miles Davis. Next, Santana, old Van Halen, and Audioslave. Each was outstanding.

Carl.

----------------

On 11/3/2004 8:04:56 AM NOSValves wrote:

Congrats ! The Mark III's are some sweet amps ! I have a set that sooner or later I will rebuild and put to use in the secondary system. I still miss the set I sold
:(
there something so cool about those basic looking little beasts sounding oh so good.

Craig

----------------

We can still work something out.2.gif

----------------

On 11/3/2004 5:42:26 PM sheltie dave wrote:

Carl is the St. Louis version of Smilin - he likes some heft to the sound when the platters are spinning. Don't come knockin' when the house is rockin' with Carl - he won't hear you!3.gif

----------------

That is pretty accurate.

Thanks for the compliment Dave. You will enjoy these even at moderate volume levels. I will try to exercise some self-control next time you are over....1.gif2.gif

Carl.

----------------

On 11/3/2004 4:20:20 PM cjgeraci wrote:

Agreed. Last night started out with Mozart and Bach, followed by Flim & the BBs and Miles Davis. Next, Santana, old Van Halen, and Audioslave. Each was outstanding.

Carl.

----------------

Excellent, what recordings did you listen on the Bach and the Mozart? Im really impressed with that Audioslave CD, it seems to be mixed extremely well, it has nice bass and clear smooth vocals and guitar, very powerful mixing they did on it.