Which Klipsch Speakers would YOU suggest?

Another Woman

My 67 year old mother and her 76 year old male friend are interested in beginning to learn about listening to music on a decent sound system. We are starting from scratch in trying to put a system together. I have purchased a Marantz 2250B receiver in a walnut case for them as a starting point. We are on a limited budget, so are trying to get decent value for a limited amount of investment.

I have Klipsch speakers and really like them, but I haven't actually heard many of the different Klipsch speakers, so I'm not sure where to direct them in terms of which Klipsch speakers to purchase.

My mother has some interest in building the cabinets for speakers. Would that be a wise choice, or something to avoid at this point?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jmon,

I just called my mother to get answers to your questions. She says she would like speakers for two rooms: 16 X 20 & 12 X 14. Amazingly, she said she didn't want to rock the neighborhood. Can you believe that? For the first set of speakers we could probably pay something in the $300. to $400. range, maybe a little more if it would really improve the sound quality.

Thanks,

Tamara

Hello Tamara,

Freezin gave some very good suggestions provided you're willing to buy used. If so, you can get some really nice speakers in that price range. I haven't heard every single Klipsch model there is, but I do have Heresy's and they are very impressive speakers. The Forte is also a great speaker. In shopping the used market, patience is the key. Eventually you can find pretty good deals and get much more than what you expected. Unbelievably, you may even be able to find a Chorus in that price range. If you don't want to buy used, Best Buy might be the best option.

Jmon & Freezin,

Thanks for your help! I have KG 4.2s and KG 4.0s and really like them. Especially the KG4s, but from what I've heard over time from you guys, I think there are Klipsch speakers that are probably better than my KGs for the money. I bought my KG 4.2s new in 1993 and bought my KG4s off of eBay a little over a year ago. I was definitely thinking we would buy used and get more value for our money. That's part of the fun...

So are you suggesting that the order of quality from least to best would be KG4s, Quartets, Heresy (is that either I or II and are they still making them?), and then Forte?

Tamara

Hi, Tamara:

That's pretty neat your mom was/is interested in maybe building her own cabinets. That can surely be done, but she might be interested in a 'speaker kit' I'm interested in the DIY aspect of audio, and was responding to what you said about her thinking about building a pair. It might even make for a really rewarding and fun project for her and her friend.

There are some really GOOD kits available where all the cabinet work has been done -- except for perhaps maybe the final staining and finish (although finished cabinets are also available. It's basically an 'install the driver and crossover affair,' the 'driver' being another name for the tweeters, midranges, and woofers. Sound absorbing material, either acoustic foam or polyester batting, is also provided for inside the cabinet to prevent hollow boxy sounds.

If that sounds interesting, I would be glad to give you some suggestions and links. Some kits using very expensive speakers are naturally very expensive, but there are LOTS of possibilities available where many kits could provide beter performance than many already finished examples.

That said, a pair of Klipsch Heresy (ies)might be absolutely perfect. As some suggested above, they are incredibly good speakers that come up on ebay all the time at an equally good savings.

Good luck!

Erik

Paul:

It seems as if we once again stumble upon the gray turf of 'subjectivity.'

I know of some extremely high quality kits that, with the right kind of amplification, might possibly give many Klipsch models a run-for-their-money. Remember, I am a faithful Klipsch owner and user myself, but I realize that there are other loudspeaker systems out there of outstanding quality.

I would agree, though, that a pair of Heresies or a coulple of its larger siblings might be the best ebay bang for the buck. Klipsch Heritage models are amazing bargains for the kind of performance they give.

Tamara: You might just ask your mom what kind of sound she and her friend might be interested in. I know that sounds kind of abstract, but different kinds of speakers impart different sound qualities -- some might be warmer and more 'intimate' where others, like some of the Klipsch we've been talking about, are very open with a strong sense of immediacy, presence, sensitivity, and air. Much of that trait (sometimes called transient response)has to do with their unusually high sensitivity, and that in turns enables them to be used with (I'm stepping on eggshells here!) uhmmmmmmmmmmmm.....amplifier of POSSIBLY lower power.

Erik

Both of these are under $400 and one of them is in Cali the other in Nevado. Shipping wouldn't be too bad on these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=5729856112&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=5729905474&rd=1

I have a friend with Hereseys and thats how I ended up with my Belles. The Hereseys are a great bargain. I could be happy with any of the heritage line.

Good luck wish my mom was that cool : ( she has a Bose wave radio.

----------------

On 11/5/2004 5:06:54 PM paulparrot wrote:

Kits aren't going to sound as good as Klipsch speakers.

----------------

Hi Paul, while we all might enjoy our Klipsch, do not under-estimate kits or DIY in general. Most products that are massed produced have compromises, that can be overcome by individuals willing(time, effort and $$$) to do so.2.gif

You'd make a good company man though.9.gif

Another Woman,

You've gotten some pretty good advice on Heresy's or Heresy II's. If your mother is comfortable with Ebay, that's a good place to look. One forum member just this week purchased a nice pair of Heresy II's this week for $280. Shipping would usually run about $60 for the pair, unless you run across a pair within reasonable distance for local pickup.

Either Heresy model would be fine. Since it sounds like your mom is pretty handy, buying a pair that are unfinished or need some refinishing that is an option.

You've got a good start with your receiver.

I asked my mother about these things but she really doesn't know how to answer them, we're both new to this realm and don't understand all of these things yet. What kind of sound do most people like?

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2250b.html

Here are the specs for the Marantz 2250B. Is it not powerful enough for Klipsch speakers? I was under the impression that Klipsch speakers don't need a very powerful receiver and that the receivers from the 70s are more powerful than similarly rated ones from the present.

"Tamara: You might just ask your mom what kind of sound she and her friend might be interested in. I know that sounds kind of abstract, but different kinds of speakers impart different sound qualities -- some might be warmer and more 'intimate' where others, like some of the Klipsch we've been talking about, are very open with a strong sense of immediacy, presence, sensitivity, and air. Much of that trait (sometimes called transient response)has to do with their unusually high sensitivity, and that in turns enables them to be used with (I'm stepping on eggshells here!) uhmmmmmmmmmmmm.....amplifier of POSSIBLY lower power.

Erik"

It sounds like overall the suggestions lean toward Heresy as the best value for the money. The ones on eBay look pretty good. What do HWO, HWL and HTO etc. mean relative to the Heresy speakers. Does it have to do with the type of wood? Am I apt to find Heresy I's or should I just be watching for Heresy II's?

Tamara

Another woman said:

KG4 --> Quartet --> Heresy I or II --> Forte I or II --> Chorus

I'd switch the position of the Heresy and the Quartet. And there is a Chorus and Chorus II.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find any but the KG-4 in your price range. It's possible, but you might have to be patient. A non-Klipsch alternative might be a used pair of JBL 4311s. If you go that way make absolutely sure that all the drivers are operating. Tweeter rebuilds are $120 each and woofer rebuilds are $270 each. Replacing anything in a Klipsch is a bargain by comparison.

Good luck.

Tamara:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think an ebay auction pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers would be really ideal. They are reasonable in terms of size and placement flexibility, and will sound good with all kinds of music. I'm borrowing a pair from a friend, and would love to have a pair for myself. They were the first Klipsch speakers I heard (that was when I was in college), and I would have bought them in a second if I could have. For the money, I have to say I agree with Paul and others that they would be hard to beat in terms of cost/performance.

With that receive and a good CD player, your mom and her fellow-friend would have a fun system for dancing, listening, cooking, background, etc. Klipsch have such a great way of filling a room with good, clear sound.

....my mom is all by herself these days. I'm glad yours is carrying on and enjoying life, music, companionship.

Erik

Tamara,

The 50-watt Marantz 2250B will be plenty of power with the Klipsch speakers mentioned. Erik is a little, shall we say, obsessed with low-power amps (a few watts), and I think he was just kidding around when he brought them up to you.
1.gif

The letter code means: H for Heresy; the next letter for type of veneer, such as W for Walnut; the last letter for finish, such as Oil or Lacquer.

Heresy or Heresy II: either one will be fine. I'd wait for ones in excellent condition that are nearby. Shipping can be okay if the shipper knows what he is doing. Otherwise they might get damaged in transit.

Tamara, I assume from your posts that your mom and male friend won't be listening to rock music at high levels, but perhaps easy listening, soft rock/pop, jazz, or even classical at lower, more normal listening levels. This being said, I also agree that either the original Heresy or Heresy IIs would be excellent Heritage loudspeakers for the Marantz receiver you bought for them. Just a thought...you may want to consider a 12" powered subwoofer to handle the bass frequencies below 60Hz. I don't know how important acurate bass response is to the two of them, but it is a well known fact the Heresys don't produce a whole lot of bass. Then again for their particular musical tastes, they may not have a need for a sub; you may want to bring this subject up with them as well and see where they stand on the issue. Klipsch make many size subs at all price points, so check Klipsch's website for info and specs. Of course you can always buy from eBay or AudiogoN for new and used subwoofers at discounted prices.

Just a thought is all. Good luck in the loudspeaker search.2.gif