Opinions on Line Conditioners

miguelyahoo

Hey guys, I was curious to know what your opinions are on power line conditioners (like Monster Power). Is there any efficacy to spending copious amounts of money on hi-end units or are there large diminishing returns? Is this another issue like interconnects and speaker wire? Any information you can lend to help elucidate this matter would be much appreciated.

id say go for it !!

i looked into this and decided that the smallest box unit (monster power 2600)would be a good choise(the big power strips get good reviews but...)

and it made for a nice jump in picture and sound quality!!

i power everything in the system but the sub amp with it and it does just fine keeping up. it puts out 15 amps of clean power. the reason i dont power the sub amp is that it need to be on a 30 amp line and it uses all of the 30 amps!!

jay

I would say the most you'd need is a Furman unit from partsexpress ($170 for 15amps and $250 for 20amps). Monster units perform, but I think they're overpriced for what they do. Plus, Furman is THE name in pro power equipment, and I would rather stake my equipment on their reputation.

I own a cheap monster strip-type unit, but I will probably buying the 15 amp Furman rack-type unit next month.

----------------

On 11/10/2004 12:43:27 AM meuge wrote:

I would say the most you'd need is a Furman unit from partsexpress ($170 for 15amps and $250 for 20amps). Monster units perform, but I think they're overpriced for what they do. Plus, Furman is THE name in pro power equipment, and I would rather stake my equipment on their reputation.

I own a cheap monster strip-type unit, but I will probably buying the 15 amp Furman rack-type unit next month.

----------------

furman is a great way to go!..... a heck of alot more "bang for the buck"....

be sure to get the series II versions - these employ series mode surge protection.... just like the brickwall, surge-x, and zerosurge brands.....

the best unit in the furman pro line (in my opinion) is the PS-PRO II...

The PS-PRO II Power Conditioner/Sequencer is capable of powering up a rack full of equipment in a 3-step delayed sequence. The sequence is reversed for power-down. The sequence can be initiated with either momentary or maintained switches, locally or remotely. A duplex outlet is provided for each delay step. A front panel screwdriver adjustment sets the delay time for the PS-PRO II. The PS-PRO II also features a locking switch with a removable key for maximum security. One or more Furman PS-PRO IIs may be installed in remote locations and operated via low-voltage wiring. The PS-PRO II includes a rear mounted BNC jack which accepts any standard 12V gooseneck lamp for rear rack illumination, as well as a front panel switch which controls the goosenecks operation.

Series Mode Protection (SMP) with extreme voltage shutdown

Linear Filtering Technology (LiFT) with zero ground contamination

Six sequenced rear panel outlets (in 3 groups)

Two switched rear panel outlets, and one front panel switched outlet

Momentary and Maintained sequencing via rear panel terminal block or front panel switch

Rear panel BNC connector for optional 12V gooseneck lamp to light rear of rack

20 amp rating

Three year limited warranty

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-754

http://www.furmansound.com/pro/pwr_cond_seq/PDF/SeriesII_PS-PRO_DS.pdf

1.gif

A good line power conditioner will provide all of your components with the proper and consistent current they require for ideal performance. I heard the difference the moment I added my Balanced Power conditioner to my system.

It eliminated artifact from changes caused from house current fluctuations as well as utility current variations (such as brown-outs).1.gif

I recently purchased the Monster HTS 3500mkII. I haven't had the house to myself long enough to really tell the sound difference, but the picture on my Hitachi 53" tv is noticeably better. I paid $250 for the unit from a salvage company (Best Buy hurricane salvage) it retails for $399 so I'm happy with my investment.

Greetings:

Yes, get a good one.

A good one not only protects against surges, but gives you Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI) and Radio Frequency Interfence (RFI.)

The good ones being the Furman, Isobar by Tripp Lite, ACE 515 by Adcom and the Monster. If your cable or Dish are in your equipment chain, get one that has protection for them.

BUT, one of the biggest reason, besides the fact of working, to get one, is that most of the good ones come with insurance in the event that the unit fails. That is if you buy one that will protect against a high enough surge (joules.)

That said, IF you have enough money to throw at a line conditioner, getting one that keeps the voltage stable is worthwhile. If you are in an area prone to "Brownouts" - low current, you can also damage your equipment.

BUT, at the very least, buy one that provides Surge Protection, EMI/RFI Filtering and in/out fr your cable/dish.

I take mine one step beyond and had an electrician make up a "dual gang box" with 4 outlets that are each controlled by a flip on / off switch. That way you can save wear and tear on your equipment switches but also be sure that the outlet is dead. This is used AFTER the line conditioner.

dodger

To simply ground an audio system, you should use a three-prong surge protector, with electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency (RF) filtering, then plug all of the front-end components into it, without any cheater plugs. I would look for the most Joules for the least money that will give you the most economical power line surge protection.

Due to the sagging power of my old Palm Beach Gardens home in Florida, the lighting capital of the US, I changed to a small APCC uninterrupted power supply (UPS) and a new surge protector. With electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency (RF) filtering, the new power strip replaced a very old one. The combination made quite a difference for the money. They seem to lower the noise floor. There was more quiet in the room. Quiet passages had more air around them. Subtle differences I know, but good ones. This improvement is as effective as a disc mat or vibration isolation platforms, even if they are the ludicrous home made variety (see http://www.enjoythemusic.com/tweaks/).

You did say line conditioner didnt you? NOT just surge protection. Recently I seriously auditioned, in my old and new home, with the same music and equipment, for EnjoyTheMusic.com, Quantums RT800 black box and loved the dynamic affect it had on my big ole horns. This was NOT so noticeable with the Aperions glue covered 522D Powered cone Towers, but then what is?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0904/quantumrt800.htm

2.gif

PS. If their cheap copper cables with the simple connectors and their $50 is nothing price are any indication, then Monsters power conditioners are way over priced and I bet somebody here could find just as effective equipment online for a lot less.

6.gif

On 11/11/2004 11:36:53 AM tomski wrote:

I just wanted to say that Im very happy with the improvements I get from my M M Monster Power 7000HTPS, There I said it.whew! I can now breath more easily.

are you breathing easier because you "confessed" to owning monster power???

2.gif

jk.... if it works for you - GREAT!!!

Guest Anonymous

Check out the powervar line conditioners, they have made an improvemnent in my system and can be bought on the cheap from ebay or audiogon. I had 2 blackouts last week with my system on, and had no problems12.gif I do not believe in the $$$$ priced ones, but, with that said, I may be wrong. There are audiophiles who swear by balanced power systems, but they run in the thousands15.gif powervar is inexpensive and effictive for me and my high $$$ stuff.16.gif