Ornette Coleman at Disney Hall Friday night. WOW!

Allan Songer

At age 74 and after nearly 50 years of pursuing his unique vision Ornette Coleman showed once again he is able to both thrill and offend. Needless to say, I was among the thrilled. Coleman's performance was THE most exciting concert I have heard in a long, LONG time! Playing in a quartet setting with two bassists, Greg Cohen and Tony Falanga and son Denardo Coleman on drums, Ornette performed with a fire and brilliance rarely heard in any venue, but in the stunning enviroment of Frank Geahry's Disney Hall it simply took my breath way. It didn't hurt that I was sitting in the fourth row.

The two bass quartet provided pefrect support for Coleman--Falanga primarily played with a bow. frequently falling in step with Ornette and providing a second lead voice while Cohen was FLYING with Denardo, playing bass as clean and fast as I have ever heard--just a BRUTAL pace.

I am still trying to digest what I heard on Friday night, but for some it wasn't worth the effort--at least 100 people left before the performance was over. I guess when they bought their "jazz at Disney Hall" tickets they had NO idea how challenging the music might be!

For an encore a THRID bass joined the group--Charlie Haden! When Haden broke into the first notes of "Lonely Woman," the crowd, now STANDING broke into spontanious applause. Haden played beautifully and Coleman's playing actually choked me up a bit.

I have never walked out of a concert hall more satisfied.

----------------

On 11/15/2004 11:53:48 AM Allan Songer wrote:

I am still trying to digest what I heard on Friday night, but for some it wasn't worth the effort--at least 100 people left before the performance was over. I guess when they bought their "jazz at Disney Hall" tickets they had NO idea how challenging the music might be!

No accounting for Philistines among us, I suppose. Maybe they were expecting "It's a Small World"...

For an encore a THRID bass joined the group--Charlie Haden! When Haden broke into the first notes of "Lonely Woman," the crowd, now STANDING broke into spontanious applause. Haden played beautifully and Coleman's playing actually choked me up a bit.

Now you're just making
me
jealous. You're lucky to have been there.

---------------

"The Shape Of Jazz To Come" is well over my head so the evening may have been too musically challenging for me as well. On the other hand, I'm happy for you, Allan, and all the other fans that really appreciated the night. There are many of us that will never have the opportunity to share the excitement of a live performance with musicians possessing that kind of talent. Just watching "An Evening With Blue Note" on DVD is a thrill for me. To be there live, Wow!

When I look back on all the jazz artists I have been able to hear live, generally in small clubs, I consider myself very lucky indeed

Just off the top of my head --

Ornette Coleman

Miles Davis

Art Pepper

Bill Evans

Billy Taylor

Art Blakey

Herbie Hancock

Max Roach

Horace Silver

Sonny Rollins

Sam Rivers

Cedar Walton

Charles McPherson

James Moody

Dexter Gordon

Stanley Turrentine

Jimmy Smith

Bobby Hutcherson

The Heath Brothers

Jim Hall

Sonny Stitt

Charlie Mariano

Bill Perkins

Shelly Manne

Bud Shank

Johnny Griffin

Joe Henderson

Freddie Hubbard

Kenny Burrell

Harold Land

Andrew Hill

Benny Golson

Lou Donaldson

Lonne Smith

Big John Patton

JJ Johnson

Jackie McLean

Lee Konitz

Warne Marsh

Count Basie

Teddy Edwards

Houston Person

Sonny Criss

Don Cherry

Pharoah Sanders

Donald Byrd

Illinois Jacquet!

Jack Sheldon

Sun Ra

Cliff Jordan

Elvin Jones

Tommy Flanagan

Hank Jones

Toshiko Akyoshi

MJQ

Ray Brown

Carmen McRae

Ella Fitzgerald

Helen Merrill

Albert Ayler

Hampton Hawes

And many, many others . . . .

sweet list, allan. i'm a bit jealous. saw jimmy smith in LA at the catalina a few years back. otherwise, the only others on your list i've seen are herbie and pharoah. saw haden with joe lovano; t'was good.

last heavyweight i saw was wayne shorter with brian blade, john patitucci, and danilo perez.

ahmad jamal, soon.

WDConcertHall_LA_Glatter-Götz-Rosales_c

I hear the hall is one of the finest sounding concert halls in the world (so we know the Coleman jazz performance must've been simply spectacular). Even the concert pipe organ built by the European firm Glatter-Götz (and voiced by the American firm Rosales) is equally marvelous sounding for the room in which it was designed for. But I'm sorry...I'm a traditionalist, and that organ facade is the most heinous thing I've ever seen!7.gif

post-11084-13819259364388_thumb.jpg

Nice pic, those front five rows almost look like part of the stage!

Allan, hope you caught the Charlie Haden interview last week (sent earlier via Wrightsville Beach pipeline). Noticed Illinois Jacquet was missing from your heard-live list! Remember reading earlier that you saw his show, too. With a roll call like that, undoubtedly the air here is heavy with envy... but good seats, too? Almost painful.. this east coaster is still getting by with memories from a Sonny Rollins concert a couple of years ago. Hearing (and feeling) the presence of these artists express their music live flat out transcends any stereo experience attainable at home. Glad it was a great concert.

Actually I DID see Louis Armstrong live when I was a kid--maybe 10 0r 11 years old or so. I went to a taping of a TV show with my grandparents and Louis was the big-name guest. I think it was the Dean Martin show if I remember correctly. He sang "Hello Dolly" and a duet with Dean Martin if I remember correctly.

I already have my tix for Sonny Rollins--not quite as good as the Ornette seats,but still in the front section of the orchestra a bit to the side--I think they are in the fifth row. I also have tix for the James Moody 80th birthday concert later in the year.

You are MORE than welcome to come for a visit! Stay a couple of days and we'll hit some jazz clubs on Thursday and Friday too! Then you could fly back on Saturday and be able to get a cheap flight.

I have some connections with the L.A. Phil and could inquire about some choice seats--there are always season subscription seats that are turned back to the box office for one reason or another and they are NEVER sold to the "general public."

Just let me know.