Unfavorable Heriatge review

psg

----------------

On 11/19/2004 12:31:05 AM NatGun wrote:

im actually consulting at bose right now, and they have brainwashed just about everyone in the company... except the A/V groups. they certainly dont use bose in the recording studios. i couldnt find a name, but it looked like older wilsons...

----------------

Please tell us what service(s) you are providing to Bose. I know I'm curious and I'm sure others here are also.

i work with the HEA/V (home entertainment audio/visual) group at bose mountain in framingham, mass. we are sort of a separate entity within the company, we are all freelance contractors, but some guys have been there for years. we are becomming more and more under the control of the overall audio group, but for the time being we are still sort of on our own.

if youve ever been into a bose outlet store, you may have seen the lifestyle promo theaters.. there is a small theater with a lifestyle system, and a digital projector. the demo used to be completely run by slides, but in the last year or two they have moved to HD because NTSC could not do the slides justice. the latest iteration of the show is being finalized now, and for the first time includes HD motion video. we run this out of an HD video server called a qubit(quvis.com). the servers are mostly marketed to movie theaters that have a digital projection setup.

the server can acompany up to 10(i think)channel digital audio streams. 6 of which are used for the dolby digital 5.1 sound used for the promo and the 7th is a control stream which feeds into a lighting control system, basically through a sort of modem.

right now i am in charge of configuration and support of the quvis servers, and im doing testing on on-the-fly modular shows. basically if a store doesnt want to show a certain segment of the show they can skip over it on the fly through another control box that we hook up to a button pannel...

its all pretty cutting edge stuff, and im psyched that im being exposed to this technology. plus they pay damn well.

----------------

On 11/18/2004 2:32:19 PM psg wrote:

" and the box resonance of the plywood cabinet systems, gave a boxy, underdamped frequency hang over to the bass response."

I'd say he hit that dead on. See what a cabinet brace looks like:

Looks like a modded La Scala. Has anyone ever tried this mod on a La Scala to see if it makes a difference?

Anyway, I can't hear a hang after a quick bass note...

- "The most common disadvantage is a resonance in the throat of the horn that comes from an underdamped structure."

25 years ago VanAlstine was beating the drum for Moretite on the K400 throat and horn.

The fact that the 'new' K400 is made of plastic changes how the resonances sound, it doesn't eliminate them.

What does that sound like?

Can you feel a vibration it by putting your hand on the horn?

----------------

This is a mod that HDBRBuilder describes with fondness to stiffen the sides of the LaScala cab. Because of the slight variation (just the nature of the beast in factory assembly) in the doghouse location in LaScalas, each brace has to be cut precisely for each individual LaScala. The brace is cut for such a tight fit that it has to be tapped into place.

Seems like there was a pic of one from Ebay that got posted on the forum some time ago.

I don't think I've ever heard the distortion/resonance in the bass bin, though, to make the mod seem attractive to me. Suppose you'd have to be cranking out alot of dbs to hear it.

----------------

On 11/19/2004 12:31:05 AM NatGun wrote:

the fact that most people hate horns keeps the prices down on alot of the heritage jems out there... ive seen flawless pairs of khorns go for as low as $1500 over the past few years....

----------------

For that very reason, Im pleased that the older Klipsch Heritage appeals to a smaller audience. Why would one want more competition and higher prices? Bask in knowledge, that those soundless idiots will not pursue these big ole horns!16.gif

I think that guy was basically right.

Of course it sounds "boxy"... the woofer is completely undampened in THE BACK CHAMBER - this is a traditional Klipsch-ism to leave out any insulative material, leaving the back chamber(s) naked, but I think that this is a REQUIRED TWEAK (IMO) for all of the Heritage bass horns.

Insulate the back chamber (a little) to prevent inordinate confusion of reflecting waveforms from traveling back through the cone into the horn throat (out of phase).

It will certainly clean up the bass and increase overall low-frequency clarity. Try it for yourself if you don't believe me. You can always take it out if you don't like it. But I'll bet that you'll leave it in.

DM2.gif

Here's what I'd do...

1) disconnect the woofer wires from the crossover

2) remove the top cabinet

3) turn the bass bin upside down

4) remove the screws holding the access panel

5) remove the access panel

6) put in 3" thick x 18" x 18" piece of fiberglass insulation (with no paper!) or appropriate substitute directly behind the woofer frame (basically cover the back of the woofer frame)

7) reseal the access panel

8) turn right side up

9) put the top cabinet back on

10) reconnect the woofer wires to the xover

11) repeat for the other speaker

12) fire them up for BETTER sound!

DM2.gif

Dman,

I have built a few speakers and most all of them want you to damp the inside of the cabinets. I think the objective is to try and apply insulation to all hard surfaces inside the cabinet.

I have heard of a product called BlackHole 5. Have you ever tried to damp all the surfaces inside the Bass Horn?

----------------

On 11/19/2004 5:33:06 PM triode wrote:

Dman,

I have built a few speakers and most all of them want you to damp the inside of the cabinets. I think the objective is to try and apply insulation to all hard surfaces inside the cabinet.

I have heard of a product called BlackHole 5. Have you ever tried to damp all the surfaces inside the Bass Horn?

----------------

I would agree with you for rectangular boxes. However, the Heritage horns all have pyramidal or otherwise non-rectangular shapes which tend to break up the normal standing waves that occur in rectangular back chambers.

The widely accepted methodology in triangular shaped chambers is to insulate the bottom of the chamber only, but of course, in the case of the Khorn, the bottom of the chamber slopes up quite a bit (from "Building Speaker Enclosures", Badmaieff and Davis, 13th reprint 1978). I believe that it is simply a cost cutting measure by Klipsch and Associates, judging that PWK also chose not to encorporate internal bracing in his horns, even though he clearly (as seen in the photo posted above) recognised the sound-worthiness of employing them into the design.

SpeakerLab K (clone Klipschorns) 1979 plans (still available) show fiberglass insulation being stapled to the baffle board (or motor board) behind the woofer frame, enclosing the back of the woofer completely. This is to reduce reflections, not prevent standing waves, which are less likely to occur due to the irregular shapes of the Heritage horn line back chambers.

DM2.gif

Dman,

you said "6) put in 3" thick x 18" x 18" piece of fiberglass insulation (with no paper!) or appropriate substitute directly behind the woofer frame (basically cover the back of the woofer frame)"

Do you attach the insulation to the frame of the woofer? - If so, with what? Glue? - Or do you attach the insulation on the wood panel opposite the woofer?

Triode, you need not attach it. Just place it appropriately, and the restricted size of the LS back chamber should hold it in place.

In that you have a LS and not a Khorn, however, in the Speakerlab K (khorn) photo the 'glass was stapled to the motor board at the corners of the fiberglass.

DM