Say HSU

I see referance to this brand often, and even have a copy on an 1990(?) Audio magazine with a comparison of HSU, Altec, JBL and Altec subs, but I have one question...

How in the he77 do you pronounce that name?? There is no one around me that would carry it, or probably even know the name if I mentioned it, so I come to you, the learned, the educated, the experienced, so I can at least sound somewhat intelligent when/if I have to pronounce the word in public.

Sue?

Who?

As it is written, like letters, H... S... U...?

See my signature if you have any more questions.

9.gif

I would probably just spell it out, as in the letters H, S, and U, for whoever you're trying to tell it to. And nobody, as in salesperson, carries it, because like SVS, it's an internet-only brand.

And if you want to get real authentic about it, if you pronounced it the way it would be in Chinese, the "H" is silent and it would be as you first guessed. "Sue."

----------------

On 12/2/2004 4:47:46 PM dblue wrote:

Actually, in authentic Chinese, it is pronounced "shoe". I know of a few asian folks with this name, including Dan Hsu from EGM magazine. They all pronounce it "shoe".

----------------

Actually, I'm guessing they pronounce it "shoe" because they are trying to make it easier for non-asian folk to speak it. No matter what the dialect, Taiwanese, Shanghainese, Cantonese, Mandarin...there is no "shh" sound when spelled like that. Simple.

How do I know? Because I'm Chinese.

----------------

On 12/1/2004 2:16:15 AM nicholtl wrote:

I would probably just spell it out, as in the letters H, S, and U, for whoever you're trying to tell it to. And nobody, as in salesperson, carries it, because like SVS, it's an internet-only brand.

----------------

Didn't I see the STF series for sale in COMP USA? I've been wrong before.1.gif

----------------

On 12/2/2004 5:23:55 PM nicholtl wrote:

----------------

On 12/2/2004 4:47:46 PM dblue wrote:

Actually, in authentic Chinese, it is pronounced "shoe". I know of a few asian folks with this name, including Dan Hsu from EGM magazine. They all pronounce it "shoe".

----------------

Actually, I'm guessing they pronounce it "shoe" because they are trying to make it easier for non-asian folk to speak it. No matter what the dialect, Taiwanese, Shangainese, Cantonese, Mandarin...there is no "shh" sound when spelled like that. Simple.

How do I know? Because I'm Chinese.

----------------

its sue or soo....

glad to see another chinese brother here on the forum...

----------------

On 12/2/2004 6:06:38 PM SteelerFan wrote:

On 12/1/2004 2:16:15 AM nicholtl wrote:

Didn't I see the STF series for sale in COMP USA? I've been wrong before.
1.gif

----------------

As far as I know, that is correct. There are some chains that carry them. I've heard that many times before. I don't know if there is a markup in price in real stores.

For us Canadians, there is a Canadian distributor and they are sold at about the same prices as in the States. I got mine for C$20 shipping for the 65 lbs box!