McIntosh MC240's....What Are They Worth?

Gilbert

What are excellent condition MC240's worth? I know how to look at ebay, but I'd like to here from you tube lovers.

I know very little (virtually nothing) about them. Are they 1 of the better vintage McIntosh amps, or are the tube rectified amps the way to go. Please let me know. Thanks.

All over the map. I sold a really nice one last year for $1750 on ebay as a "Buy It Now" and it lasted about an hour--guess I let it go too cheap. But that still seems like the right number for a good one.

I like the 240. It used the 6L6 output tube and I think a GOOD 6L6 type is the BEST tube for push-pull hi-fi amps. For the same money or less you can get a pair of MC-30s and they're better.

The McIntosh sound is lush, warm, musical. Some call it "dark" but I think it's pefect.

I guess I sold mine too cheap last year.2.gif I sold a nice one with all lettering and cage for about $1200 (more or less) and one without any lettering but with cage for $600, both to forum members and both working to spec. I have another nice one coming soon and promise to offer it here for considerably less than the going ebay rate. Should have a matching C11 to go with it. I don't have any use for them right now but I'll pass the deals on to another forum member. The 2 I've already spoken with have first dibs.

----------------

On 12/4/2004 9:34:44 PM Allan Songer wrote:

All over the map. I sold a really nice one last year for $1750 on ebay as a "Buy It Now" and it lasted about an hour--guess I let it go too cheap. But that still seems like the right number for a good one.

I like the 240. It used the 6L6 output tube and I think a GOOD 6L6 type is the BEST tube for push-pull hi-fi amps. For the same money or less you can get a pair of MC-30s and they're better.

The McIntosh sound is lush, warm, musical. Some call it "dark" but I think it's pefect.
----------------

You know, I don't get the whole "dark" criticism of McIntosh. MIne are clear as a bell. Of course, there are those "horn colorations" to factor in, too.....

I bought an average condition 240 a couple of years ago for $1100.00. It didn't sound that great but after sending it to AudioClassics for a $250.00 rebuild the things sounds amazing. I also bought a perfect condition 240 for $1500 around the same time. It is so perfect, I don't even use it. Just wrapped it up and stored it. I haven't wathced them lately... I can't beleive what some of them are going for. When I bought mine, $1500 to $2000 was top dollar.

That's a lot of money for that amp, even if it is in great shape. What tubes did it come with, Telefunken, Mullards and GEC, all blackplate and early 50's. A lot of money for what you are getting.They even make the $2500 Canadian one I saw last year look like a great deal.

Wait a while and see what comes up. A nice pair of MC-30's will run you less money and I heard more positive comments on it than the 240's from people on this forum and two others. You might like to do a little more reading and see what you come up with.

Don

From my experience working on a few MC240's some are indeed very dark sounding and other sound pretty darn good after 30 to 40 years. I really think it has allot to do with how the amp was used, stored and so on. The 240 are descent amps built like tanks. I would guess the MC30's would be a better sounding setup myself but I have not been lucky enough to have a set come in here yet 7.gif I guess people have the idea that Macs take some special technician to work on. Just another tube amplifier they all work on the same principals MC's are just built with ultra longevity in mind which makes them easier to work on in reality.

Craig

Thanks Guy's....I've got the real hot's to buy a tube amp, and it's hard to be patient when I see this pristine looking gear appear on ebay. There are 2 great looking MC240s, from the same seller right now on ebay, and I'm hot to trot for 1 of them.

This forum has provided me with some great info on the MC30's as well as the 240's. I really respect all of your opinion's, especially Allan's. And although I've not read anything bad from anyone that sounds inteligent about either of these amps, I will hold out for a pair of MC30's.

I don't want to buy a tube amp in rough looking condition though. I'd prefer them (2 - MC 30's) in excellent to pristine condition. No rust or pit's of any kind, they will be show pieces as well as musical masterpieces. I'll probably have to wait a long long time. And that's gonna be hard, because I've got a serious tube bug in my a$$.

2 MORE QUESTIONS:

If I get lucky enough to find a pair of 30's, would it be prudent to send them off for adjustment, so that they are true matched pair?

Also, is the C22 the preamp of choice to match up with the MC30's?

Gilbert,

You may have better luck sourcing 30s one at a time, rather than finding the perfect pair. They were rarely sold new as pairs, anyway, as far as I can tell. Keep in mind, these were new at a time when stereo systems were very uncommon. Even factory pairs were not very close, serial number-wise. I've never seen consecutive numbers come available, but I'm not exactly watching for them, either.

Have them looked over, more as a matter of safety and preserving your investment than matching concerns. If they are original condition, a power supply rebuild would probably be wise, as a preemptive measure.

The pair of MC-30s in my system today were purchased years apart. One was a TOTAL rust bucket and the other was really nice. The rust bucket fired up and sounded GREAT and the shiny one was a mess--bad caps, funky wiring where someone decided he needed to change out some resistors.

Anyway, I decided to do a COMPLETE cosmetic restoration on the rust bucket which included rechroming and powder-costing the chassis parts and RE-SCREENING all the lettering. Needless to say it cost me far more than the amp was worth at the time, but it was something I wanted to do--I even thought about offering the rechroming and rescreening service but soon realized there would be little interest.

Since fully restored some 8-9 years ago these amps have not missed a beat. One bad 12BH7 a couple of years ago and that's IT! I doubt I will ever sell them and have had no desire to "upgrade" except from time to time when I see those 1940's Western Electric movie theater amps on ebay--I have ALWAYS wanted a pair of those, but they're UGLY and would have to go INSIDE a cabinet. Mine sit OUSTIDE the cabinet with the preamp, tuner, CD player and scope INSIDE! I think MC-30s are BEAUTIFUL!

BAT%20CD%20PLAYER.jpg

Gilbert,

The C22, C20 or even the new C2200 will work fine with the MC30's. Honestly for the longest time I just had the Rega plugged straight in to the MC30's, before acquiring my C22, and it sounded like pure bliss even then. I've heard the C2200 is dead silent and plan to purchase one in the near future so I can compare it to the C22.

If your MC30's, when you get them, are running up to spec with excellent tubes you can do without a pre if need be. The tubes are key though as I'm sure you know already. I was using the RCA 6L6's that came with my MC240 for quite awhile until Allan hooked me up with a fine quad of KT66's some years back. They really improved the sonic signature greatly. Since then I've acquired one pair of WE 350B's but am still looking for another. I've had them for probably two years now, haven't used them once, and they just sit around collecting dust until the day I find that elusive second pair.

There are pristine pairs to be had out there if you remain patient. Mine fall under this description and I managed to score them on eBay about three years ago for a little under $2,000. I'll sell my MC275 and MC240 long before I get rid of these although I hope it never comes down to me having to sell any of my Mac gear.

Good luck with your hunt.