ReFinished 61 Corns Waiting For a Tube Amp

Gilbert

Nice work Gilbert! Man you turned those right around - Wow! Weird that one crossover was mounted at an angle and the other not. I think they must have cut the wires too short when they built them and had no choice but to mount it that way. Are your crossovers stamped "C-22" like mine? They look identical in every way to the ones in my '62's.

Just to think this all started when I steered you to those Khorns on AudioGon, now you are a full fledged Heritage fanatic.

----------------

On 12/6/2004 1:09:57 AM Good2BHome wrote:

Gilbert,

Very nice refinish job and pictures!!!

Did you do the refinishing yourself?

What did the TYPE on the Crossovers turn out to be?

I'd love to see any other pictures you took of these beauties!!

Mike

----------------

Good2: I refinished them myself. It took over 2 1/2 weekends (5 full days). One of the speakers had a serious water stain on the top were the previous owner had kept an aquarium. Even the side was slightly stained, but the top was the $hity condition. The bottom of that speaker was even worse. The bottom looked like someone had dragged it across a gravel road.

I was able to slowly workout the water stains, but I could only get about 80% of the scratches off the bottom. I probably sanded away approximatley 50% of the veneer on the bottom, before getting too nervous. So I quit. Too risky, and I wanted them as original as I could get. I even decided to keep the factory insulation on them. I had been using Basslinear's products on some others. I first used basslinear when I rebuilt some 68's that had the factory insulation in horrid condition. I ended up liking the bass improvement using the basslinear so much, that I used it on 2 other pairs. It is really good stuff, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking to distinctly improve bass response, and sound quality. But that stuff wasn't cheap...cost almost $50 per Cornwall.

CB:

You know me, I'm definitely going to hang on to the ALK's. They'll be used for the next pair of verticals. Also, being that only 13 were made, they're a tuff bird to find. I know I could build some, thanks to Al posting the schematics and parts list, but I just don't have the time or patients for that kind of stuff anymore. My tech. days are over, having worked 8yrs with micro electronics, I've built more electronic gismo's than I care to remember, or will ever do again.

Not sure about the crossovers, I didn't mess with them. By the way, every component is sequentially numbered. Woofers, horns and tweets. Perfect, just perfect.

Oh, by the way, I successfuly removed the plastic Klipsch badges and shined them up. But there was no evidence of any gold or silver leaf work on the lettering. I just gently polished them up with some Meguiars plastic cleaner, and they are crystal clear again. The beveled lettering work from the backside of the plate makes them appear as if there is silver leaf applied to them, but there is not.

I will gladly do that Good2. All I need now is a couple of tube amps. I'd like to purchase a pair of MC30's and the later MC240. But it will probably take a year, maybe more, before I find the ones I want.

But the open house will happen, don't know who'd show up, but all would be invited when I build my dream home within a 2 or 3 years.