?'s about heritage tweaks from user reviews

seti

I have been reading klipsch user reviews via google searchs and several reviews mention some changes that were made to the heritage line.

____excerpt

Additionally, this would be a good time to remind faithful readers that any Klipsch speaker requires considerable user tweaking. I would estimate that after 200 hours of moderate volume playing and the removal of a damn redundant elliptical filter in the high horn circuit, the Belles softened wonderfully.

____

What is this 'elliptical filter' and does it warrent removal ?

____excerpt

Also, you'll see two, small, black, rectangular 2-mfd capacitors setting side-by-side. You'll notice an identical capacitor that sets perpendicular to them. There is a jumper wire that goes from the lone cap to one of the side-by-side caps. Snip that wire. You've just cut the elliptical circuit. It stores energy and rings like crazy. This removes much nastiness.

____

fact or fiction ?

____excerpt

Roll up two small balls of plumber's putty and smooth them over the backside of the metal tweeter horn. This will dampen any ringing.

____

Hadn't heard this one.

____excerpt

Mount the crossover network on rubber bumpers available at the hardware store. Lastly, stuff the mid/tweet horn cabinet with as much polyfill as can be stuffed into this recess.

____

Hadn't heard of this one either.

Additionally, this would be a good time to remind faithful readers

that any Klipsch speaker requires considerable user tweaking. I would

estimate that after 200 hours of moderate volume playing and the

removal of a damn redundant elliptical filter in the high horn

circuit, the Belles softened wonderfully.

Out of the box brand new no, no tweaking needed just ask Dean. 15 or 20 year old crossovers..show me a crossover at that age that does not need to be upgraded.

Mount the crossover network on rubber bumpers available at the

hardware store.

Yeah it will cut down vibration not a bad idea ALK's come with them.

Lastly, stuff the mid/tweet horn cabinet with as much polyfill as

can be stuffed into this recess.

??? not sure what this is about I have heard of rope caulking the K400's to reduce ringing.

I could be wrong (usually am now that I think about it), but I think the tweeter sections in the AL, AB, and AK types are all referred to as "elliptical". Probably not a good idea to go snipping off wires unless you know what the real effect is.

The best "tweaks" are proper placement, room treatments, and quality parts in the networks -- regardless of "Type".

I had an ak-3 and snipped the elliptical, I could hear no audible improvement, but since it didn't hurt anything (except remove tweeter protection) I decided to leave it like that. everyone seems to agree dampening the horn with caulk cannot hurt either though I suspect it would have more effect o9n metal or wodd horns then the later plastic versions. stuffing the tophat makes no sense to me, I cannot see what it would accomplish, especially if you caulk the horns. regards, tony

"any Klipsch speaker requires considerable user tweaking"

I have to say this is complete bunk. As with anything, cubic money can bring improvements.

The tweeter and its horn do not ring. The squawker horn is a fabulous bell when it is unmounted, but only has a mild ring after it is mounted in the cabinet. That can be killed with rope caulk or DynaMat.

The AL/AB/AK crossovers are universally considered the worst. The tweeter section is not all that rings. Changing to a Type AK-3, AB-2 or AL-3, a pair of ALKs, or even Type AAs (re)built with premium components will be a large improvement.

I stuffed the top of my La Scalas with polyester fiber. I can't say I could hear a difference unless I knocked on the top with my knuckles.