What is the best contact cleaner for crossovers?

mark1101

My LaScala crossovers are all dusty and dirty looking. It use to be that you could buy the high pressure HCFC cleaners (R-12) and it would blow all that junk right off and make any electronics look like new. Now I find cleaners that just trickle out of the bottle and are basically useless for items like crossovers. I have cans of air that don't work either. It seems you need the cleaner and high pressure in the same can.

What works best? Thanks

Use canned air and a toothbrush to remove all the dust and goobies. Use Caig's DeOxit to treat the contacts after removing the filth. You can use Caig's ProGold on the terminal lugs to keep oxidation away and improve the contacts. They come in vials or spray cans depending on your needs.

Disconnect all of the wiring, and remove the boards from the speakers -- put them on the dining room table. Carefully move all of the wiring out of the way. Now, just drop them into the dishwasher.9.gif

Just use a damp cloth and clean all the dirt off. Follow up with denatured alcohol on the terminal strip and spades. Use a brass brush to scape off surface corrosion (if any).

I thought Caig Progold was for hi temperature surfaces like tube sockets. I just use Caig DeOxit for simple contact surfaces. Let it sit on the surface of the contact for a few minutes, and then wipe the crud off.

Anyone ever use Corrosion X?

It's described as being used for lubrication, but does a great job of eliminating corrosion and preventing oxidation. Those in the R/C Boat world use it for everything. There was even talk, I don't know if it's true or not, of a TV that had its' innards covered with the stuff, then set up in an aquarium, and worked as good underwater as out.

http://www.e-tackle.com/corrosionx.htm

Not sure if it's the best thing for the topic, but might be something to look into.