Article by PWK: Subjective Effects of F.M. Distortion

WMcD

I've got something jangling in my brain that the model H is a Heresy. Heresy goes back to 1957.

This article is most interesting. For Mr. Paul to be measuring how much distortion can be tolerated. What a great mind the man had.

Gil, as always, thanks for posting.

It it my recall that PWK used the Heresy name privately for a while, and called it a model H publicly. This was so that religious people would not be offended.

I suppose he eventually concluded that folks were not quite that sensitive.

Gil

Here's a pic of a Model H, it is similar to a Heresy. Has the same drivers but a diffent mid horn (1000Hz). I'm not inlining this because it's big, over 300K.

This is the one I got from Triceratops, Khorn58 has the other. Thing is absolutely like new inside. Outside is nice too. it has the same finish as my '60 Khorns, Dark Mahogany.

post-9215-13819259825948_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 12/12/2004 6:00:38 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

It it my recall that PWK used the Heresy name privately for a while, and called it a model H publicly. This was so that religious people would not be offended.

I suppose he eventually concluded that folks were not quite that sensitive.

Gil

Gil,you are exactly right. PWK considered a "total enclosure'to be Heresy. I have some old ones that are labeled Mod-H.

Some say that they were designed as a center channel for corner horns. I believe that they were designed to "complete the line". IMHO, PWK needed a book shelf speaker. Again IMO, the Cornwall was intended to be the center at the time.

Terry

----------------

Hey IB,

In my recollection there was some overlap between the Model H (Heresy) and the Model C (Cornwall) in their use for the center channel. The first big demo that PWK did I think was at the Brussels World's Fair in 1958. He used a model H for that demo, and then used a Cornwall in 1959 at the New York Hi Fi show. Both speakers were originally intended as center speakers, but PWK made some changes as people started to use them more frequesntly as main speakers. Hopefully someone with more historical expertise, can correct any of these details.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Terry,

What year are yours? The one I have is a '62, pretty elderly. Yours sounds more like a Heresy with the K-700 horn.

Triceratops, with my center Belle nearing completion my need for the Model H is limited. I contacted the owner of the other one, he said he wanted it, but now I'm not hearing from him. Do you have contact with him? I'm concerned that my emails are not getting to his acct.

Thanks for the history lesson and photos of early H. Love that woofer basket, kind of reminds me of Gauss woofers. That's 1957? Pretty 'space-age' stuff. NASA came around in what, 1958 (year o my birth) I'm always amazed at how heavy-duty and compact the innards of the Heresy are. Very impressive!

Michael