building home theatre...HELP

LiquidFIRE

Well I just moved into a new house within the last year and the basement wasnt finished when we moved in. We are about to finish it and my dad asked me to pick out equipment for the home theatre that we will be having down there. My father and I really do not know that much about TV's and home theaters so I need your help. We do not know whether to get a Projector for the TV, or a Plasma TV, or what. Which one is better and do you know of any certain models that are really good. (please dont just tell me the most expensive equipment but rather the best sounding, and best quality. Also what type of speakers for the surround sound. Should we get like 4 speakers, 6 speakers, 8 speakers or what? also any certain models that u know, would help alot ... i think thats it...and what other equipment do i need like amp, receiver, etc. Please help, I do not know much on this topic.

Budget: 20,000

Room Size: 151' by 196' (12.58' x 16.33')

20,000.... whew, wish I had that to blow :)

There have been quite a few posts on everything you asked, try doing a search in the upper right hand corner and see what you come up with first. With that budget, you have alot of options. Also, check the thread entitled "Lets See Your Home Theater" Lots of good ideas there. Good Luck!

Hell, I wish I had a $20,000 budget for my whole basement, to say nothing of my home theatre!!

I'm sure you'll find a lot of good advice here, and not strictly "The costlier the better" type stuff. Do the searches, more info here than you'll want to read in the next 3 months.

Good luck, I'm sure with that budget you'll end up with a dang nice system.

I would definitely go with a projection screen. Plasma has bad rumors of not lasting very many years. But if you have that kind of money to blow, you should go with a projector. You can get a pretty big screen with a projector. I don't know a lot about them, but definitely look into it before you buy a t.v. You didn't give enough info about your basement, such as size, etc. to really say what surrounds, or how many speakers you should go with.

Go Heritage for speakers. For a room that small, I would buy 7 identical Heresys and a pair of Ultra2 subs for a great 7.1 Heritage HT.

Lexicon processor is my favorite. Get the MC4 or MC8. I personally would go separate amps, but if you don't have the rack space, the Aragon Amp is great with Heritage.

Front projection makes for the best HT experiance.

Nice to have a good budget. Where are you located, you may find members here who can show your there HT's. Almost all of our HT's out perform anything you will see at any so called High end dealers.

JM

hey thanx for all the input.. i was trying to find the heresys on the klipsch site but its so hard to find anything on the site, i dont know if its just me being dumb or that the site was poorly layed out, because i click on SHOP then SPEAKERS, and all that i can find are the computer speakers and a few others. Im absolutely POSITIVE that they have a bigger selection than that.

http://www.klipsch.com/store/list.aspx?dept=1

thats the only place for speakers that I can find on the klipsch site. Also what else about that room do you need to know. I gave you the dimensions lol... what else is there to know? its a rectangle?

im really confused though, I have been looking at really high-end equipment for about a week now, and every single item I search on google and few results come up, and I cant find ANY online store that sells them?? Why is this... shouldnt the extremely nice high-end stuff be all over the internet and in a lot of stores??? Sorry if this is a moronic thing to say, but i really am new to this

...i live in Atlata, GA btw. Mableton to be exact...

I've been building my system for the past month.

Here's how my effort has started.

First, I went to the local retailers that had speaker 4 or 5 times and listened to lots of speakers. I think that's the first step.

Then, I've read literally hundreds of threads on the this forum. Use the search feature. It will answer many questions without recreating threads. You get lots of instant answers that way, the old threads will come up and you can read them. I have a pair of 15 year old Klipsch Forte's. I didn't hear anything that made me want to not want to incorporate the Forte's, so I've been looking to find Forte matched speakers from ebay. You may choose to go with the older Klipsch speakers or the newer or others. Only your ears can answer that. With $20K as a budget, you don't have limitations. You can have whatever you want. Don't skip listening to Heritage, Classic and Reference line of Klipsch speakers before you buy. You are asking this forum, so you probably already know that. Good luck and take your time. Unless you've previously had the opportunity to listen to these speakers, it will take you a couple months. But, with patience you can find almost any of the older speakers either from this forum, ebay, or audiogon.

Good luck.

Well, considering that it's a Klipsch site, I am compelled to recommend an Aragon Stage One with an Aragon 7-channel amp, 2 RF-7s for fronts, 2 RSW-12/15 subs to put under the fronts, 2x RS-7 surrounds, 2xRB-75 surrounds, 1 RC-7 center. With regards to pricing and installation, i think that Griffinator could help you.

nad electronics(t563 dvd,t773 a/v receiver)

sony projector(any of the new hi-def units)

sterwart filmscreens(firehawk 100 inch, for your room size)

good cables (too many opinions here)

and this leaves you with about $10,000 for some klipsch speakers

"sounds" like a great place to start

jay

Heritage Schmeritage.... Reference baybe. 2.gif

3 RF7s across the front, RC7 surrounds RC7 rears and 2 RSW-15 subs. That's what I have, only that I have 1 RSW15 sub and 1 RSW12 sub. I have one hell of a movie experiance. When friends come over they leave the house with eyes a glazed and a permigrin on their faces.

As far as projectors go. I have one of those as well. BUT there is one major question you must ask yourself. Will you have control of the light in your room. Meaning, does your basement have windows? is it a daybasement or is it a fully closed in dark basement? if you have windows, you will want to figure out how to keep light from coming in. All this UNLESS, you get a projector with high lumes. Ambiant light can reek havic on your viewing experiance when running projectors. If you have control of the lighting situation, then projectors are great. You can make that image as big as you want.

Sorry LiquidFIRE to be so late to this thread, however....

GOOD LORD MAN - you live in the metro Atlanta area!! Let your fingers doing the walking thru them Yellow Pages!1.gif

Seriously, during my research phase of my HT room, I literally tore a page out of the Yellow Page book that was in my hotel room.

Awwwwww shaddup you guys!3.gif

Then I did an internet search for each of the Yellow Page listings and made some calls. Even though I have a very competent A/V store here in Savannah, I was looking for other ideas as well.

The advice given here about doing your homework is good advice. DO IT!! What I would add is to not get into a big hurry and rush out and buy stuff. Take your time. Hell, it's a big part of the fun of putting something together. Otherwise, you might as well just hire someone to do a turn key system.

Me? I went the all Heritage route of vertical Cornwall mains and Heresy center & surrounds. However, if I hadn't had my Heresys or Cornwalls, I would've gone the Reference 7 series route. Those are some sweet sounding speakers. There's some B&W's that are very nice too. You & your Dad should take advantage of all the A/V stores in the metro Atlanta area and listen, listen, listen. Find the speakers that YOU like and start there. Then start looking at electronics. Most of us here will change our electronics many, many times. Yet our speakers tend to stay with us for a long time if not forever. Hell, I've had one pair of Heresys for over 24 years!

If you'd like to chat more, lemme know and we can hook-up via a phone call or summat.

Tom

----------------

On 12/11/2004 11:28:15 AM m00n wrote:

Heritage Schmeritage.... Reference baybe.
2.gif

As far as projectors go. I have one of those as well. BUT there is one major question you must ask yourself. Will you have control of the light in your room. Meaning, does your basement have windows? is it a daybasement or is it a fully closed in dark basement? if you have windows, you will want to figure out how to keep light from coming in. All this UNLESS, you get a projector with high lumes. Ambiant light can reek havic on your viewing experiance when running projectors. If you have control of the lighting situation, then projectors are great. You can make that image as big as you want.

----------------

Liquid welcome to the fray. Reference Schmeference.....Heritage all the way!!

9.gif

I would place things along the long wall and go with 3 La Scala's across the front and fill in your surrounds with Heresy II's. As far as amps and Pre/pro go Parasound or maybe Arragon. As mOOn indicated, light is an issue with projectors. I would go with a DLP TV or maybe an LCoS. Your choice, the DLP TV's are pretty reasonably priced though. Subs your pick, SVS, Klipsch I have yet to figure out the whole sub issue for me, so I cannot make a good recommendation for you there. Keep us posted pics and all.