KG4s v. Cornwalls

Pure Corn

Hello All,

I've been using (extensively) a pair of KG4s I bought recently and really like them. However, I now have a chance to buy a mint pair of Cornwalls locally. My question is, are Cornwalls worth $700 a pair, and are they worth two to three times the price of KG4s (in terms of sound).

Thanks,

Orson

----------------

On 12/17/2004 9:21:45 AM Orson Garnsey wrote:

Hello All,

I've been using (extensively) a pair of KG4s I bought recently and really like them. However, I now have a chance to buy a mint pair of Cornwalls locally. My question is, are Cornwalls worth $700 a pair, and are they worth two to three times the price of KG4s (in terms of sound).

Thanks,

Orson

----------------

Don't Walk, RUN and if you don't want them post the location of them and i'm reasonably sure someone from this forum will RUN and get them. Locally is even better, no shipping and no damage. good luck and if you do get them, post some pictures .

Greetings,

I own a pair of kg4's and have heard Cornwalls.

If you're listening quietly in a small room, keep the kg4's. They'are a great speaker - perhaps the biggest "sleeper" of the Klipsch line. But, as you've likely experienced, their scale is small; they'll never fool you into thinking that you're hearing the real thing.

The Cornwalls on the other hand have a huge, life-like scale to them. Seemingly effortless dynamics and "breathability". You really get the sense of musicians actually performing for you in your room. (I actually got goose-bumps when I heard them for the first time.) As a caveat, though, I thought that these speakers - like thoroughbread race horses - want to run. I don't think they'd be ideal for neighbor-friendly listening in an apartment.

Either way, $700 for a pair or Cornwalls sounds like a great deal! Hope it works out for you...

Take care,

Scott

bigger is better with horns

From half dozen pair sales on eBay, in August 2004: Cornwalls I and IIs, which do NOT have horn loaded bass, have smaller mid-range than larger Heritage models, they bump around 80-100Hz and fall off quickly below 50Hz, sold from $700 to $1,125. An exception was a year ago, when a pair went for $1,800, but generally they sell for about the same for Chorus I and IIs (averaging $844). Klipsch specs show Chorus above Cornwall models, with the same sensitivity, but less of a fall below 50Hz.

Please post your movie and music tastes, room dimensions, speakers and front-end equipment in your system profile, this will help forum members give you thoughtful, insightful answers.6.gif

• 1 month later...