Chorus Speakers and McIntosh MA6500 Intergrated Amp

Dawson's Ridge

I have just ordered a new McIntosh MA6500 Intergrayed Amp to power my Chorus speakers. However, the sales personnel (and confirmed by a telephone call to McIntosh) strongly recommened that I upgrade my speakers to the McIntosh LS320's or LS340's. They said that I would hear much more detail, better soundstage and imaging, and overall tighter bass than my Chorus speakers. Does anyone have any listening experience to the McIntosh LS speakers compared to the Chorus?

Let's see here, I wonder how much money they will make off you sticking with your Chorus? Here's what you do: Get the new amp set up with your Chorus in *your* room, work out positioning details, get the setup tuned in. Then invite those guys to bring over the Macs and try them out. They shouldn't have any problem with that, after all, that's not some $200 set of speakers. If *you* hear that they're better in *your* room you can decide how $much$ better at your leisure.

That thing is like 200W/side isn't it? That's one way they might beat the Chorus. Mac speakers are notorious power hogs. Running the Macs loud might get that amp up into its' sweet spot some. It'll barely be idling with the Chorus at any reasonable volume. Many SS amps aren't that great at low power levels, although I don't know if Mac amps are like that or not.

BTW, that phone call to Mac, how would one expect it to turn out? Cheap sales shot, for sure.

Gotta agree with Tom, here. This was just a sales ruse to stick you with everything they can before you leave.

No way the McIntosh speakers are in the Chorus' league, although I'm sure the Mac's are nice.

I've used about 5 different McIntosh amps (tubed and SS) and have loved them all. I've heard them with a few of the McIntosh speakers at the local dealer and have missed the detail that Klipsch speakers provide.

Tom was right about distortion in SS amps. They tend to be cleaner in the higher output ranges. To drive the Chorus at those power levels would drive you from your home!

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

Guys,

I have a nickname for McIntosh speakers: "acoustic dummy-loads". The only amps that can drive them are McIntosh amps. They are EXTREMELY low efficiency! This is coming from a man you loves McIntosh too! I once heard a Mc2100 amp (100W / channel) clipping while driving an early Mac speaker (ML1) at a dealer. YUCH!

Stick with your Klipsch speakers!!!!!

Al K.

Among others, I own a Solid State 2120 Amplifier. I've driven it with a McIntosh tubed C-20, a Tubed MX-110 Tuner/Pre-Amp. And I've used several Adcoms.

The 2120 has alittle more power, so the low end distortion should be a little higher.

All I can Say is stick with Klipsch. McIntosh Amplifiers I like, their Speakers, to me, IMHO, leave something to be desired.

dodger

you have absolutely nothing to lose by trying the MA6500 with your chorus first...while the McIntosh has probably more power then you will need to drive the highly efficient Klipsch speakers, my experience (I have a MA6400 integrated) is that they sound wonderful with Klipsch...McIntosh speakers...well, you have better choices for the money if you do decide to toss the chorus, that is all I can say. regards, tony

----------------

On 12/20/2004 1:06:00 AM Tom Mobley wrote:

Let's see here, I wonder how much money they will make off you sticking with your Chorus? Here's what you do: Get the new amp set up with your Chorus in *your* room, work out positioning details, get the setup tuned in. Then invite those guys to bring over the Macs and try them out. They shouldn't have any problem with that, after all, that's not some $200 set of speakers. If *you* hear that they're better in *your* room you can decide how $much$ better at your leisure.

That thing is like 200W/side isn't it? That's one way they might beat the Chorus. Mac speakers are notorious power hogs. Running the Macs loud might get that amp up into its' sweet spot some. It'll barely be idling with the Chorus at any reasonable volume. Many SS amps aren't that great at low power levels, although I don't know if Mac amps are like that or not.

BTW, that phone call to Mac, how would one expect it to turn out? Cheap sales shot, for sure.

----------------

Thanks to everyone for their input. The Forum is a nice benefit to Klipsch owners. I am holding on to my Chorus speakers for now. I have told Home Theater here in Houston that if they want to come out and set up some McIntosh LS340's to compare to my Chorus's then I would 'consider' a change.

Concerning a new MA6900 vs. the MA6500, the former is ~$1,000 more expensive and much heavier because of the autoformers. The weight would create a problem as to where I plan to place it.

I did consider the MA6900 but it was $1,500 more expensive and too heavy for where I plan to place an amp. Realatively speaking, I believe the MA6500 @ $3,100 is a bargin. It has 200w/channel w/pre amp and all the important McIntosh design and engineering features. To purchase separate McIntosh units would cost considerably more money and I doubt if I could hear real 'audible' difference with my stereo set-up using Klipsch speakers.

----------------

On 12/21/2004 2:39:04 PM william.meredith wrote:

I did consider the MA6900 but it was $1,500 more expensive and too heavy for where I plan to place an amp. Realatively speaking, I believe the MA6500 @ $3,100 is a bargin. It has 200w/channel w/pre amp and all the important McIntosh design and engineering features. To purchase separate McIntosh units would cost considerably more money and I doubt if I could hear real 'audible' difference with my stereo set-up using Klipsch speakers.

----------------

Good decision, I wish I could afford the 6500.

The McIntosh integrated sounds fantastic. And it'll sound even better than that with your Chorus (or any Klipsch) loudspeakers.

I owned a direct-coupled (no autoformers) MC7200 power amp, originally purchased for my very inefficient Magnepans, and it worked flawlessly with my Cornwalls as well (with 200 WPC @ 8 ohms it was major overkill). I later borrowed my bro's classic MC2100 and later owned my own MC250 vintage amp (both with autoformers)...these two classic black and chrome power amps were the closest SS amps in my system to sound like warm tube amps with the Cornwalls; if I didn't own my 300B SET, I'd still be driving my Cornwalls with either the MC2100 or the MC250 they're that good!

I've heard it said that McIntosh loudspeakers only sound good with McIntosh amplification; everything else is lifeless and bland. Mc loudspeakers never impressed me all that much, even driven with Mac amps. You like your Chorus, and I assume you're happy with the Klipsch lineup. If I were you, I'd never settle for anything less than your Klipsch horn speaker system. McIntosh and Klipsch seem to go hand in hand, and many Klipsch owners have Macs powering them (either tube or SS). Don't waste your time and settle for a pair of Mc loudspeakers...their salesmen couldn't give a flippin' crap what sounds good to you, they're just thinking about that fat commission check they'd get if they also sell you Mc loudspeakers with your integrated amp!

Stick with your Chorus (or any Klipsch for that matter), and enjoy your new McIntosh amplifier, and welcome to Mac ownership!2.gif

Just my two cents...