Best Speaker for SET Amps?

aviserated

Last time I looked, the Lamhorn enclosure alone went for $4500. Some details on what goes into the cabinet have been provided, but to get past the cost is still a bit of a struggle.. now if a less expensive (Lamarre-approved) AER enclosure alternative would be presented, that would be interesting to audition to pick up on the differences.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/23/2004 11:40:45 PM coda wrote:

Last time I looked, the
alone went for $4500. Some details on what goes into the cabinet have been provided, but to get past the cost is still a bit of a struggle.. now if a less expensive (Lamarre-approved) AER enclosure alternative would be presented, that would be interesting to audition to pick up on the differences.

----------------

Are Lamhorns overpriced... Yes in a sense, as any lousdpeakers, since all loudspeakers are actually a simple box made out of MDF or plywood (1 inch thick brazillian plywood in the case of the Lamhorns). Horns are also more complicated to build, just take a look at a khorn.

But on the other hand, you don't just pay for the wood but also the R&D that lead to the product. We are not talking about something that will be put out at tens of thousands units here so the R&D cost will be much higher on a unit base.

I own fostex FE208 sigmas...after playing around A LOT with enclosures, etc. I decided to do just what mark does, I have them in small enclosures and accept that they drop off VERY rapidly below 100hz...some music sounds fine like that, especially if you are planning on using them in the garage or home office (as I do, hooked up to my computer)...

you can also get ambicious and hook them up with woofers and suoper tweeters to try to get full range but then you have to use a crossover and lose some of the benefits of using a single driver setup.

I have the crossovers to make Dick Olsher´s Basszilla, which used fostex (or lowthers) in an open baffle and some very nice (and expensive) woofers to give full range and bass power...

lastly there are a WIDE variety of cabinet designs with back loaded horns, front loaded horns and bass reflex desgins to try to get the most out of these drivers, I have tried MANY and they all came up, at best, weak in bass below 80hz SO...

I figured why try to get them to do things they do not want to do? you can enjoy a great speaker that gives you 100hz (80hz if you are optimistic) to 11khz (15mhz of you are optimistic).

The fostex backhorns designs are pretty much the best I have heard, the swan designs from nagaoka tetsuo are very nice as well especially if you like the look.

warm regards,

tony

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 12/23/2004 10:01:11 AM mdeneen wrote:

The small box allows me to set them up in a very nice nearfield configuration. That allows for a nice combination of exquisite revealing clarity and very decent spaciousness given they are almost in the middle of the room. The sound of a fullrange driver is very unique compared to multi-driver systems of any kind I've ever heard. The create very believable shape, size and tone of instruments and voices.

If you like wall-rattling, this is a bad choice. If you like the "thing" that headphones do, but wish they were nopt wrapped around your head, this is up your alley.

mdenen

----------------

I have just finished building and listening to my new FOSTEX FE167E fullrange papercone speakers and I cannot describe the experience any better than mdeneen wrote above. Excellent !

Using the FOSTEX FE167E i built the standerd recommended bass reflex type enclosure as described on the www.madisound.com website. Total cost parts and labor $200.00

My electronics: Sony C333ES player, ASL-AQ1003DT 30watt push/pull tube amp. One day I will go SET.

THANKS EVERYONE!