Best Speaker for SET Amps?

aviserated

Which new model Klipsch speakers are the most natural, non fatiquing, and transparent sounding using mono block SET amps. I have been looking at either the RF-5 or the RF-35 for my small 11.5' by 15' room. Both of these speaker have a sensitivity rating of 98 or 99 and an impedence of 8.

If there are better choices please tell me. Thanks

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/22/2004 5:38:31 PM Colin wrote:

Khorns.

----------------

But why are a lot of people trying to turn down the bright mids with L-Pods or what ever.

No, I want a speaker I can move around to adjust the sound, closer or farther away from rear wall to adjust the loudness of the bass. With the Khorns you are pretty much stuck with corner positioning. I do not have the money to build a house around Khorns either.

SET amps come in many different flavors. It's kind of like asking, "What's the best cartridge for my turntable?" Did you have a specific SET amp in mind? It seems you have specific requirements for a speaker. It would be courteous of you to note those requirements in your initial question.

----------------

On 12/22/2004 5:48:06 PM aviserated wrote:

----------------

On 12/22/2004 5:38:31 PM Colin wrote:

Khorns.

----------------

But why are a lot of people trying to turn down the bright mids with L-Pods or what ever.

No, I want a speaker I can move around to adjust the sound, closer or farther away from rear wall to adjust the loudness of the bass. With the Khorns you are pretty much stuck with corner positioning. I do not have the money to build a house around Khorns either.

----------------

The mids may be bright do to room, equipment, crossover design. Don't judge others preference to yours, especially with mass numbers that find no objectional sounds coming from there KHORNS.

Tom

----------------

On 12/22/2004 7:20:05 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

Fatigue depends on the listener, mostly. The brain tires from monotony, whether it is just repetition, melancholic harmony or anything by Olivia Newton John.

----------------

I'd forgotten all about Olivia. "Let's get physical. Physical. Let's get physical. Physical."

conveyer.gif

Based on your comments, I would think that Cornwalls would be a good try. I don't know what you listen to, but they are great jazz speakers and can hold their own with R&B, straight blues, and rock.

They have a nice low end but are large, which is good for the music, bad for the WAF.

My choice, anyway. I have two pairs in the house!

aviserated,

RF-7s work very well with SET amplification. I recommend using 4 Ohm amp outputs. The clean upper mids of a SET combined with the no-crosover high end of the RF-7 produces what I sometimes think of as a sonic microscope .. one very good sounding sonic microscope. I listen to classical, and solo violin is exceptional. Combined with a subwoofer, to offload the lows from the SET, large, very loud pipe organ is also good because the horn handles the intense mixtures so well.

Leo

If you are willing to go outside the world of Klipsch, I still believe a single full range driver like the Lamhorn 1.8 is the best mate for a SET.

Pro: It will give you something like no Klipsch speakers will give you above 100 Hz.

Con: Forget ANYTHING serious below 50 Hz.

Personaly I have both and I can't live without both.

Jeff, the nice single drivers are really pricey. I'd love to hear something using them. I heard the top's a little dry -- is that true?

You had RF-7's, and got rid of them? What a shame. Looks like you need to go shopping for some again. My personal opinion is that they definitely sound better than the Cornwalls. Klipschorns and LaScalas are another story. Sorry Cornwallers.

Like Leo said, you should run them off the 4 ohm taps. You can also use a 15 ohm swamping resistor on the amps outputs to flatten out the impedance. It works good. I even ran them that way with my push-pull amps.

Although missing the very bottom end, what you do hear with the RL Acoustique Lamhorns is refined and seamless, the midrange is truly beautiful, with vocals it gets downright uncanny. Within the Klipsch family overall don't see how you could go wrong with vintage Cornwalls of the Alnico magneted mid driver variety. A big and bold sonic footprint, with also a big soul. The Reference Series is admirable, but IMHO is not quite on the same musical level in comparison.

Of course, there are still other choices, Ron continues to update his recommended speakers page, auditioning a few may get you closer to finding one that's right for you.