do anyone still own a turntable

jaama

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine is a Tecnics SL-Q200 with an Audio Technica Needle.

I use mine mostly for converting vinyl to CD. Occasionally I find a recording that I loved as a kid. Using Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 2005 (A sweet program by the way10.gif ) I "rip" the vinyl onto my hard drive, remaster it, and burn it to CD. Cleaned up a bunch of my dads old recordings for Christmas for him this year. I love listening to vinyl, but more and more it just seems to be a dust collector in this digital age.

Merry Christmas All!

----------------

On 12/23/2004 4:34:56 PM AnalOg wrote:

I own a VPI Scout, I just recently upgraded my cart to the Micro Benz Glider, love to listen to vinyl!

Tom

----------------

Tom, what version of the Glider do you have? I have the H2, and I'm really quite happy with the combination. It's kind of startling in its unremarkability, in a way. It's just so natural to my ears that you don't have that 'gee whiz' kind of thing. It just sounds right to me.

Anyway, I'm wondering what weight you're tracking with. I'm at 2g, and thinking of going a tenth or two higher now that it's broken in some. It tracks fine, other than some warped records that the clamp couldn't straighten. I know Weisfeld recommends setting the weight at or just above the highest manufacturer's recommended setting.

If you didn't already, I can recommend the Hifi News test record to help with setup. The torture tracks for antiskate are pretty useless, IMO, but it did help me get the azimuth just right, and helped identify a gross error in anti-skateland. The residual noise band made me feel good, too.

Ben

I have a few set up that I use regularly......and others that I just look at. My mainstays are all vintage (just like me): an Empire 598 II with an Empire 2000E cartridge, an AR XA (two motor version) with a Shure V15 Type III cartridge, and a Thorens TD 125 MKII with a Stanton 681EEE cartridge. The ones I look at are a Miracord 50H, a few Duals, a Philips, and a Technics.

I love the ritual of playing a record......makes the music sound more worthwile after all the effort. 9.gif

Nothing exotic, but I have three Technics SL1700 direct drive babies. Had first since 70's. Still have two set up. Prefer Stanton 681 cartridges because of short cantilever (easier backcuing) and weighted brush that dampens warps to some degree. About 1000 LP's some pristine, some garage sale.

Oh, yeah, and Grandpa's old Edison 100 78 player. No lecticity needed!

Michael

----------------

On 12/23/2004 9:11:41 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Nothing exotic, but I have three Technics SL1700 direct drive babies. Had first since 70's. Still have two set up. Prefer Stanton 681 cartridges because of short cantilever (easier backcuing) and weighted brush that dampens warps to some degree. About 1000 LP's some pristine, some garage sale.

Oh, yeah, and Grandpa's old Edison 100 78 player. No lecticity needed!

Michael

----------------

I'd love to get the third one of those Techs off you. I just love the sound of a direct drive, for some reason... Drop me a PM, maybe we can work something out?

----------------

On 12/23/2004 7:45:22 PM bclarke421 wrote:

----------------

On 12/23/2004 4:34:56 PM AnalOg wrote:

I own a VPI Scout, I just recently upgraded my cart to the Micro Benz Glider, love to listen to vinyl!

Tom

----------------

Tom, what version of the Glider do you have? I have the H2, and I'm really quite happy with the combination. It's kind of startling in its unremarkability, in a way. It's just so natural to my ears that you don't have that 'gee whiz' kind of thing. It just sounds right to me.

Anyway, I'm wondering what weight you're tracking with. I'm at 2g, and thinking of going a tenth or two higher now that it's broken in some. It tracks fine, other than some warped records that the clamp couldn't straighten. I know Weisfeld recommends setting the weight at or just above the highest manufacturer's recommended setting.

If you didn't already, I can recommend the Hifi News test record to help with setup. The torture tracks for antiskate are pretty useless, IMO, but it did help me get the azimuth just right, and helped identify a gross error in anti-skateland. The residual noise band made me feel good, too.

Ben

----------------

Ben,

I have the original M2 .9mv version, picked it up used on audiogon. I'm thinking about trading it in for the H2, Benz has a generous trade in policy that allows me to pick it up cheat, even factoring in what I paid for the used one.

I agree, the one characteristic of the cartridge that struck me the most was its balanced frequency response from top to bottom. At first I thought I was missing something, but then came to realize that my other cart was emphasising (coloring) much of the frequency range. The bass articulated more natural tone, no bloat. Cymbals no longer had that edge to them that seemed to seperate itself from the rest of the music.

Tracking I started at 2 grams and found the sound to sluggish and dark, I've since set it back in tenth increments and like what I'm hearing at 1.8 grams, more air, snappier transients, still tracks like a train going down the tracks, give it a try.

I was disappointed with the results of the Hi Fi test record, leaves to much subjectivity on the table, it was fun, used it & filed it away. I concluded no antiskate setting works the best for me. Nice cart all around, I'm really enjoying it.

Tom

Interesting comments, (is that Anal Original Gangster, or did you hit shift by mistake?1.gif .

Does your Rogue have LoMc settings? All the reports I have read about the Glider line is that they get better as you go lower in output. Are you just looking for more gain? Thanks for the feedback re VTF. I'm going to play with fine tuning the setup as soon as my cabinet is done (basically a more traditional looking Salamander Twin30 made from solid cherry-I've got a piece of granite and a piece of marble ready to play around with, too..). Do you have VTA pretty much at horizontal? Gary reported that this cart was pretty sensitive to VTA changes when he had it on his HW-19/PT-6 combo.

I totally agree with your assesment of the HFN test record. I found it useful to get in the ballpark, then your ears have to take over.

And to the original question-

Besides the VPI, I have an original two-motor AR with a really nice walnut plinth & a beat Shure M-33. There's a Dual full-auto with some Ortofon on it in the studio under a pile of cables. CS1258? 1256? I don't remember. It's been a while...

----------------

On 12/23/2004 5:29:40 PM garymd wrote:

Maybe you have snap, crackle and pop issues with your TT. I don't with mine.
2.gif
Oh, that's right. You don't have one.

The other day I a/b'd a couple LPs for my wife with the CD and she couldn't tell which was which except that the LP sounded better.
16.gif

----------------

I have owned, tried, and heard many a TT in my day. It's not for me anymore. It's not like I can't afford a real nice TT. Maybe someday I'll revisit vinyl.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. And BTW, who are you kidding? She couldn't tell the difference and the vinyl sounded better? Did you get her a new diamond or something? Give me a break! 9.gif

All kidding aside, Happy Holidays Gary!

----------------

On 12/24/2004 12:51:25 AM bclarke421 wrote:

Interesting comments, (is that
Anal
O
riginal
G
angster, or did you hit shift by mistake?
1.gif

Does your Rogue have LoMc settings? All the reports I have read about the Glider line is that they get better as you go lower in output. Are you just looking for more gain? Thanks for the feedback re VTF. I'm going to play with fine tuning the setup as soon as my cabinet is done (basically a more traditional looking Salamander Twin30 made from solid cherry-I've got a piece of granite and a piece of marble ready to play around with, too..). Do you have VTA pretty much at horizontal? Gary reported that this cart was pretty sensitive to VTA changes when he had it on his HW-19/PT-6 combo.

I totally agree with your assesment of the HFN test record. I found it useful to get in the ballpark, then your ears have to take over.

And to the original question-

Besides the VPI, I have an original two-motor AR with a really nice walnut plinth & a beat Shure M-33. There's a Dual full-auto with some Ortofon on it in the studio under a pile of cables. CS1258? 1256? I don't remember. It's been a while...
----------------

Yes, I accidentally hit the shift kEy! 2.gif

I have the Anthem pre ph1 phono stage, it has a gain of 48db, the Rogue has 23 dbs itself. It is sufficient in driving my system up an over 100dbs, but seems to be lacking a bit in the dynamics department, I think a little higher gain might benefit, I may just consider a step up tranny instead. If something respectable comes up on audiogon I may go that route. VTA is pretty much horizontal, at best I can tell measuring with a ruler. Could go into an anal siezure messing with that setting, another one of those set it and leave it situations (for now2.gif). I've been meaning to head over to Home Depot and have them make me up two slabs of granite to put some vibropods between so I can set my TT atop that. I think that would be sufficient dampening for the setup. Try the Dialing back the VTF a bit and let me know your findings.

Tom

Will do on the VTF issue. I'm going to wait until it's resituated on the cabinet. Should be in the next week or so, he says. I'm also going to remove the manual lifting arm from the headshell, so I'll need to redo things then. Keeps falling out anyway.

For the granite, see if you can find a stone place-someone that does countertops for builders. The place I went to was recommended by the guy who's building the cabinet. He was really easy to work with, and the stuff looks great. He didn't have a ton of choices this time of year (he has a lot of money in inventory & keeps it low at tax time), especially in the darker stuff. The piece of granite it had made was about the last he had, but he had a lot more marble around for fireplace work. My granite weighs 55 lbs, and the marble (a little thinner) goes 35. If you're just after paving stone cosmetics, Home Despot should be fine, but that Scout deserves a nice looking rock under it.